home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #126
RipplingBeast

Yeah, I suspected I was screwed when I saw that the 740 distributor had a Hall effect sender and the 940 didn't. I have some work to do even after I get the right computer. Curses and various obscenities.
RipplingBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #127
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipplingBeast View Post
Yeah, I suspected I was screwed when I saw that the 740 distributor had a Hall effect sender and the 940 didn't. I have some work to do even after I get the right computer. Curses and various obscenities.
now that I think about it...you can use that distributor...it just won't be plugged into anything....you'll still need the correct sensor on the back of the engine block...

oh yea, and the correct flywheel or flexplate for the LH2.4..
Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 AM   #128
RipplingBeast

Believe it or don't, I actually saved that sensor from the 940 trans before it went to the junk yard (it got water from a bad radiator in its fluid; all the experts said it was dying). The trans that came with the 740 doesn't have a place for it, so I might be, again, screwed. Or, if I can find the right trans, they're not expensive at salvage, and I'll have the correct motor/trans/sensor combo with the crankshaft sensor, and then there's only the question of whether I need to find another ECU and EZK. Do you know if I'll need to, or, with the right sensor, will the brains in that car run that motor?
RipplingBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:12 AM   #129
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipplingBeast View Post
Believe it or don't, I actually saved that sensor from the 940 trans before it went to the junk yard (it got water from a bad radiator in its fluid; all the experts said it was dying). The trans that came with the 740 doesn't have a place for it, so I might be, again, screwed. Or, if I can find the right trans, they're not expensive at salvage, and I'll have the correct motor/trans/sensor combo with the crankshaft sensor, and then there's only the question of whether I need to find another ECU and EZK. Do you know if I'll need to, or, with the right sensor, will the brains in that car run that motor?

the bracket for the sensor mounts on the engine, holes should be drilled and tapped for it already.....cut a notch in the top of the transmission....

ideally you want Turbo ECU's....the car will run with N/A ecu's, but won't know how to handle the extra boost and know how to pull timing

did you keep the flexplate with the "windows" from the 940?
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #130
dihmels

Default my project

I have an 87 240 that I put a 93 B23FT in and used the LH2.2 and bosch fuel computers from an 89 740 turbo. Wiring was easy. In fact, the old Chrysler computer is still there just unplugged.
dihmels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #131
cargod78
Board Member

for anyone interested, i have a turbo for sale from a 1990 740tic it is the mitsubishi td04 rebuild less then 10k ago , car was rearended and totalled was trying to get $300 but make me an offer.
[IMG][/IMG]

1998 V70 XC bone stock

1976 Honda CB550 Cafe
cargod78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #132
kito17

hello to everyone here @ turbo bricks, i'm a newbe on volvos, have mine, 88' 240DL, last year, thanks to my granpa, he is the one that always liked the 240's, i'm going to be honest, at first, didn't liked it, but now, i love it, and im trying to bring it back to live. So far, all i've done to it is changed the suspension springs, and i have to say, u feel the difference right away. But, my final plans on it is to turbocharge it, so i would appreciate all the references and advices i can have to reach my goal. thanks to you all and keep up with the nice projects i've seen here!!!!
kito17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #133
dihmels

Thumbs up get a doner

buy a doner car.... That's the only way to go. My doner was an 88 740t for $250. There are many small things you'll need that I have not seen listed on all the really great posts here. I did mine in two phases. Engine only first, drove on low comp engine with old intake, exhaust and computers. After a month of good results I put the intake, exhaust/turbo, intercooler, computers and other details in. One weekend for each step. Driving it daily now. Actually quite a simple exercise. Good luck.
dihmels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #134
kito17

Thanks for the advise, think u r right...
kito17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #135
vanapeer
old fcuk

Here is my bit http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...10#post2706810
vanapeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #136
Hen
Board Member

I'm in the process of +Ting my 1990 240. There are a bunch of pics here and if I ever finish I might write a little more about it.

Hen

Last edited by Hen; 11-23-2009 at 10:15 AM..
Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #137
shaneswigs
Board Member

im gonna ask a question that kind of confuses me, someone said in the early part of this thread that you can use lh2.2 harness and lh2.4 computers. Towards the end someone else said the computer from a 2.2 wouldnt work in his 2.4. so is it possible to use a 2.4 computer in a 2.2 or did i misinterpret someone along the way.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #138
500dollar744ti
still rides with MrDoug

not possible without changing wiring and components as lh2.2 and lh2.4 use different methods of reading rpm signal.

1989 Volvo 744T- 16v turbo, '94 FD-block, RSI pistons/rods, GT35R, Tial 38mm, RFL, MSnS-E, DSM spark, 100lb Delphis, 4.6 springs, Bondo header, Heebspeed intake, Q45 90mm TB, Bosch 044 FP, 12x24x3 ebayIC, w/c t5, Clutchnet 4puck/PP, 4.10 G80, IPD sways, 960 brakes.
1998 Volvo S70 T5m- Stock, 229k
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ- Stock, 154k
1983 Ford F150- '89 5.0 H.O, C6/4x4, F+R LSD 4.10, 7" lift, 35s.
1990 Cobia San Marino 225 ECS- MCM 350 Mag, GM Bowtie Intake, HR-Titan 19p.
500dollar744ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #139
shaneswigs
Board Member

ok thanks for clearing that up
shaneswigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #140
DavidSamuels
K-Jet-Free Zone

One of our very own is making the K-jet plugs. I'll certainly be buying a set when I change over to LH on our turbo wagon, unless I pull the head. In that case I plug em with allen plugs. Here's the link from the for sale board:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=188782

DS
DavidSamuels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #141
2fast4u
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
Where in FL are you? In my local yard there is a 940 turbo and a few 740 turbos. If you are close to Orlando or Tampa or JAX, check their yards.

You will need to do some wiring extending as the AMM and battery in the N/A is in the opposite sides as the turbo cars. But that is solved in like 15-30 minutes depending on how many times you have to stop to talk on the phone. Also, you need to slap some resistors to drop the voltage to the turbo greentop injectors, which is also not much of an effort. And that is where your electrical mods end. The rest is a matter of slapping ECU/ICU and the other turbo parts.
Although I am not +T anything at the moment, I can't figure this one out from reading. If you are using turbo ECUs, why would the injectors STILL be getting a NA impedance signal? With Turbo computers, wouldn't the signal be low impedance? Or do the turbo cars use resistors and the ecu always gives a high impedance signal?

Also, on the 95ish 940, do they use OBD2? And does that cause any issues?

Just some questions I came up with that I don't see answered. Maybe it will help somebody out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvlvo View Post
Sounds like you are afraid of the horse cock Kenny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
I will freely admit that yes, yes I am. and I'm not ashamed of that fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
im skeptical... i hope this isnt your last post. famous last words, rite? "anyone JB welded this?"
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #142
JW240
Your current user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Although I am not +T anything at the moment, I can't figure this one out from reading. If you are using turbo ECUs, why would the injectors STILL be getting a NA impedance signal? With Turbo computers, wouldn't the signal be low impedance? Or do the turbo cars use resistors and the ecu always gives a high impedance signal?
How to make a short story long:
The signal isn't low or high impedance in this case, it is the injector.
The turbo or N/A ecu's are exactly the same regarding the output driver for the injectors (correct me if i am wrong). They work the same. They can switch the same amount of current. The N/A injectors have a resistance of ~15 Ohm, the turbo ones a resistance of ~2 Ohm iirc. Regardless of the computer you are using, the lower resistance of the low-impedance turbo injectors will cause a higher current draw for the computer (Ohm's law). To limit the current the low-ohm (actually called low-impedance because we are talking about a coil - inside the injector) a resistor is added in series to bring up the total resistance. lower current is the result.

The summary: use a resistor pack with low-impedance injectors (like the stock turbo injectors of the 740T/760T/780T/940T/960T). Are you using for example the 850 turbo injectors, those are hi-impedance so no need to add a resistor pack because they have the same 'resistance' as the original injectors that came out of the N/A car.

Quote:
Also, on the 95ish 940, do they use OBD2? And does that cause any issues?
afaik the latest USA delivered 940's still use OBD1. Only the later European delivered ones have OBD2.
No issues. I am using a 0 280 000 984 ecu from a 1998 940 in my 240. That ECU supports OBD2. No changes to the wiring. The OBD1 diagnostic socket still works as usual (all 4 test modes - the codes for LH and EZK and a check for the actuators (injectors, Efan, IAC, FP, evap) and a check for the TPS etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #143
2fast4u
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
How to make a short story long:
The signal isn't low or high impedance in this case, it is the injector.
The turbo or N/A ecu's are exactly the same regarding the output driver for the injectors (correct me if i am wrong). They work the same. They can switch the same amount of current. The N/A injectors have a resistance of ~15 Ohm, the turbo ones a resistance of ~2 Ohm iirc. Regardless of the computer you are using, the lower resistance of the low-impedance turbo injectors will cause a higher current draw for the computer (Ohm's law). To limit the current the low-ohm (actually called low-impedance because we are talking about a coil - inside the injector) a resistor is added in series to bring up the total resistance. lower current is the result.

The summary: use a resistor pack with low-impedance injectors (like the stock turbo injectors of the 740T/760T/780T/940T/960T). Are you using for example the 850 turbo injectors, those are hi-impedance so no need to add a resistor pack because they have the same 'resistance' as the original injectors that came out of the N/A car.

afaik the latest USA delivered 940's still use OBD1. Only the later European delivered ones have OBD2.
No issues. I am using a 0 280 000 984 ecu from a 1998 940 in my 240. That ECU supports OBD2. No changes to the wiring. The OBD1 diagnostic socket still works as usual (all 4 test modes - the codes for LH and EZK and a check for the actuators (injectors, Efan, IAC, FP, evap) and a check for the TPS etc).
Sweet post man thanks. Makes more sense.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #144
Hen
Board Member

An even simpler explanation:

A factory turbo 940 (LH2.4) uses low impedance injectors and a resistor pack. An NA 940/740/240 (also LH2.4) runs no resistor pack, so when you swap over the turbo ECU and injectors you need to add the reistor pack too. Essentially you're just copying the factory turbo setup in your originally NA car.

Hen
Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #145
Xman
Board Member

Use orange tops (off an 850 I think) and you won't have to add in the resistor pack. That is what I did and it has worked fine. Also had to change the ignition computer to a turbo. Many say the standard 240 ignition computer works fine but, in my case, it pinged like crazy.

Also, a resistor pack is one more thing that can go bad. Had it happen on my 740 Turbo and left me stranded with no fuel delivery.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #146
2fast4u
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
An even simpler explanation:

A factory turbo 940 (LH2.4) uses low impedance injectors and a resistor pack. An NA 940/740/240 (also LH2.4) runs no resistor pack, so when you swap over the turbo ECU and injectors you need to add the reistor pack too. Essentially you're just copying the factory turbo setup in your originally NA car.

Hen
Exactly what I thought, but still wanted to ask. Both answers were what I was looking for.

Another thing I see is 940s needing a certain flywheel/flexplate? If you got the junk out of a 2.4 car, won't it have the proper windowed flywheel/flexplate? I kinda want to do this just so I can make a SOLID how to. This thread is great for some info but still leaves me scratching my head.

And fk you guys who say we need to search. If it is so common and so simple, then we shouldn't have to. Something as simple as a parts list should be a breeze. This is a forum. It is a pearl of knowledge. I LOVE how the guys who have NEVER had to search something, say to search. You get conflicting answers and sometimes it isn't specific enough.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #147
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Exactly what I thought, but still wanted to ask. Both answers were what I was looking for.

Another thing I see is 940s needing a certain flywheel/flexplate? If you got the junk out of a 2.4 car, won't it have the proper windowed flywheel/flexplate? I kinda want to do this just so I can make a SOLID how to. This thread is great for some info but still leaves me scratching my head.

And fk you guys who say we need to search. If it is so common and so simple, then we shouldn't have to. Something as simple as a parts list should be a breeze. This is a forum. It is a pearl of knowledge. I LOVE how the guys who have NEVER had to search something, say to search. You get conflicting answers and sometimes it isn't specific enough.

you get conflicting answers because there's more than one way to accomplish what you're trying to do.

Search. Read. Broaden your own horizons. Even if you don't use someone else's implementation, it doesn't hurt to know what other people are doing. Further more, no one actually owes anyone anything. If something is common knowledge (and a lot of this stuff is; and has been discussed dozens of times and probably mentioned in every single +T thread ) *you* need to be able to sack up and read and then come up with an intelligent question. If you're having trouble figuring out the what's and why's of a +T, I would gently suggest that maybe its not for you.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #148
varg
kludgemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240T man View Post
These can also be found on GM cars with the Supercharged 3800 V6:
Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Buick Regal GS / GSX (SLP)
Buick Riviera Supercharged
Chevrolet Impala SS
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS (limited)
Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

These injectors are 4-hole instead of pintle style and flow 36lbs/hr with a resistance of 14.8Ω. I grabbed a set of 6 off a Park Avenue Ultra at the junkyard and they look like they'll fit right in, but I'll report back upon installing them. If you want an Eaton M90 you can grab one off one of these cars as well.

'85 244DL B21FT swap (gone ), ->Project thread
'91 E30 318is, M20 swapped, turbocharged. project in progress.
Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Last edited by varg; 01-11-2010 at 03:33 PM..
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #149
2fast4u
Board Member

Quote:
you get conflicting answers because there's more than one way to accomplish what you're trying to do.

Search. Read. Broaden your own horizons. Even if you don't use someone else's implementation, it doesn't hurt to know what other people are doing. Further more, no one actually owes anyone anything. If something is common knowledge (and a lot of this stuff is; and has been discussed dozens of times and probably mentioned in every single +T thread ) *you* need to be able to sack up and read and then come up with an intelligent question.
Agreed. Mostly. I am talking about the threads where you read and read but the question is never truly answered, OR the problem isn't your exact issue. I can agree with needing to piece info together. And no, nobody owes anybody info. But when you are on a forum such as this, it is implied/expected to answer questions and help out. No matter how noobish the questions are. Everybody starts somewhere.

Quote:
If you're having trouble figuring out the what's and why's of a +T, I would gently suggest that maybe its not for you.
Come on man. I hate seeing stuff like that. I am all about anybody trying something new. This forum(mainly you) is built off doing stuff we don't know much about. Like I said, everyone starts somewhere. Doesn't mean they shouldn't do it.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:16 AM   #150
Wind
Board Member

To avoid starting a new thread for a single question:

Would something along the lines of this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...ht_3652wt_1167 be what I should look for? Or would I be significantly better off to find an actual Volvo turbo from a junk car somewhere and hopefully save money?

My car is an 88 240 GL

Last edited by Wind; 03-28-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote