• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bonzai Run in my 945 Turbo

dman535

Without getting into to much detail. I may need to make a 140 mile trip in a huge hurry. Been driving the BMW, was curious as to how the Volvo would hold up at sustained speeds of 90-110 mph. Aside from fuel/oil consumption and other concerns? Or should I just stick to the BMW ?

Derek A.

The volvo will be fine just make sure to let things cool down before shuting off the car as to not damage the turbo.

I used to make those kinds of runs every weekend and never had any issues with my 744

those speeds are no problem for a stock 940T. The crashed 940T i bought as a parts car had been driving through Germany for all its life and everything looks good, except for the exhaust manifold (more cracks than usual) and a turbo that failed at 150K miles.

The engine will like it a lot though if you have a decent exhaust system and a ported manifold.

Driving to the N?rburgring last summer with Frpe82 and Janspeed we averaged those speeds (on stretches without limits) and that was absolutely no problem (120 mile trip iirc).

A well tuned 7/9 series should be able to do ~80 and not be in boost on level ground with no wind, so you shouldn't need alot of boot to do 100.

was curious as to how the Volvo would hold up at sustained speeds of 90-110 mph.
Derek A.

My 1st volvo, 87 744tic w/90k miles on it.. I was touring/homeless when I had this car. I made multiple thousand mile trips between Oregon, Las Vegas and SoCal in this car. On a few occasions I drove the car over 100mph for an entire tank of gas. I had no problems what so ever. However the car came from my family who got it new in 87 so it was stage 0'd and then some.

I went from houston to dallas in 3 hours maintaining 100mph the whole way, but in a n/a 240. The 240 would only go 104 in a straight flat road, 115 on a downhill.

I just floor it, they go.

I went from houston to dallas in 3 hours maintaining 100mph the whole way, but in a n/a 240. The 240 would only go 104 in a straight flat road, 115 on a downhill.

I just floor it, they go.

Thats hilarious, i would be worried about gas washing the cylinder walls at WOT for that long, then again, its only a B230

Mark

140 miles is nothing. My 940 Turbo has just done 5500 miles in 12 days, and most of that was on the motorway. In Germany it'll hit 120 MPH no bother at all otherwise it cruises at 80 something MPH. It used a litre of Mobil 1 in that distance.

Germany is nice for driving fast yeah. not many people have the possibility to hit 130 mph on their way to the hardware store :-D

Well we had to sooner or later find a use for Germany other than eating sausage and drinking beer.

Without getting into to much detail. I may need to make a 140 mile trip in a huge hurry. Been driving the BMW, was curious as to how the Volvo would hold up at sustained speeds of 90-110 mph. Aside from fuel/oil consumption and other concerns? Or should I just stick to the BMW ?

Derek A.

my weekly driving to work !! , usually in a hurry and most times overtaking a C30 D5

you can do it, fuel economy will be quite poor, i honestly wouldn't drive that fast anyhow, i don't care how good of a driver you are... other people are at risk when you do it.

i know it's a different car but my 850 is in it's prime at 80, i can't imagine it'll be a problem unless you have something wrong with your cat or exhaust

you wil be fine.... but seriously... WTF... why would you have a need to drive 140 miles @ 100 mph?

thats a little crazy!

Already did it once. Have a family member in the hospital. Made the first run in the BMW - it was at 4am on a Sunday morning - so not much traffic on the road. I also slow down when passing, don't need to overtake someone by 40 mph on the freeway. Not sure if that call is going to come again - where you need to haul serious ass.

What will this car top out at? does it have a factory speed limit programmed in to the ECM ?

yeah, where it starts to make funny noises and fall apart. its somewhere between 'that sounds funny' and 'OH CRAP!' :lol:

I'm not sure why you need to pick up a little tree in such a hurry, but maybe a picture of one will provide some motivation?

Bonsai.jpg

Or did you mean Banzai?

Back