• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Upgrade your brakes.

turtlejam

Sharing info on front disc brake swap on 444/544/121 that i'm currently doing.I use Dorman 610-174 studs.They are 1/2" x 20 so stock lug nuts fit.Their knurl is .668" so use a 21/32" drill bit to resize hub lug bores.This gives a .012" interference fit.Use 2000 base model V6 mustang rear rotors which are 10 1/2" o.d. . Both vented and solid are available at auto part chain stores.I'm using vented which require the O.D. of the hub to be turned down to 5 1/2"to fit.Solid rotors fit on the stock diameter hubs.The reason I use the Dorman 610-174 studs is they have a 5/8 O.D. shank that protrudes from the hub .Re-drill the mustang rotor lug bores to 5/8 so they are perfectly centered on the stud shanks.
You can use the same parts and method to put disc rotors on the 444/544/121 rearend hubs.

I have a pic but I cannot add it to this message for some reason.Any help adding the pic is appreciated.

Last edited:
Can some help with my pic?

I'm not all that great on a computer.I tried to post a pic several times.Can some tell an old man what the easiest way to add a pic to my post,thanks.

I'm going to use 1978-1988 GM metric brake calipers,montecarlo,malibu,etc.They are widely used on street rods,circle track cars,etc.Speedway motors,Summit,etc. sell brackets to mount them as low as $10 each.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Weld-On-1978-88-GM-Flat-Mount-Caliper-Bracket,21280.html

These brackets fit 3" axle tube.I'm going to turn,on the lathe, a 3" O.D. spacer that bolts on my spindle in place of the drum brake backing plate.The brake bracket will be welded to the O.D. of the spacer in correct spot for caliper to be centered on the rotor.

Last edited:
Back