• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Alternant Steering Racks for Quicker Steering?

dkrause

I would like to replace the stock 240 power steering rack with a quicker rack e.g. less than 3.0 turns (prefer 2.5) L to L with a stock rack from a different car (PnP special). I can make mods to accommodate alternate mounting brackets if required.

I have found custom aftermarket units but the $$ are a bit much.

What make, model and year might fit our Volvo's?

XR4Ti racks fit with modification.

Sellholm sells the guts to convert a ZF manual rack to quick steer, but good luck sourcing a core.

We used a steering quickener in conjunction with the stock rack on my rally car

You can also get BNE / Kaplhenke roll correction ball joint holders to speed up the steering, but car should be lowered 1.5-2" for correct steering geometry.

You can also get BNE / Kaplhenke roll correction ball joint holders to speed up the steering, but car should be lowered 1.5-2" for correct steering geometry.

The lowest cost solution.... but as stated, don't use UNLESS lowered (roll center).

The lowest cost solution.... but as stated, don't use UNLESS lowered (roll center).

You can drop a quickener in place of the steering shaft in the engine bay. Probably $175 in parts and a half days work.

I'd also be curious as to how a car handles with the ball joint dropped that far and at stock ride height. Anyone done this?

I'd also be curious as to how a car handles with the ball joint dropped that far and at stock ride height. Anyone done this?

Many people including me drive with stock arms and what not in the front end with a 3" extended strut on 2/7/9 series without any real noticeable negative effects with daily/normal street driving. I'd imagine the effects of the QSRC on a stock ride height car would be the same, but I'm far from an expert on suspension geometry. Probably notice it on a track/rally car.

You can drop a quickener in place of the steering shaft in the engine bay. Probably $175 in parts and a half days work.

I'm curious about this device.... please link into this thread.

Kaplhenke states in his product description, NOT to use unless with lowered vehicles (I think he said 30-45mm, but I've not studied it lately).

If the OP wants stock ride height, then the QSRCs are not the answer.

This is for our race car, I have the Kaplhenke roll correctors and the car is lowered. They work fantastic to provide proper geometry and bump steer correction. Using the shorter holes do cause some angularity errors versus the stock location, therefore that's why I am looking for a better rack.

These roll correctors are designed to return the steering geometry to the ideal case when lowered and would only screw up a high (stock) ride car.

XR4Ti racks fit with modification.

Sellholm sells the guts to convert a ZF manual rack to quick steer, but good luck sourcing a core.

We used a steering quickener in conjunction with the stock rack on my rally car

Thanks, looks like a XR4Ti power rack is available at a reasonable price from remanufacturers too.

Here's a rally anarchy thread on putting the xratty rack in a 240. Poster made some progress but then bought a X4RTi to rally instead. Seems like there some unresolved length issues on actual rack (ie the moving piece) and/or the housing.

Rally anarchy thread

I'm tempted to buy one just to try and figure something out...

Edit: Any known completed swaps? John?

Back