• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Soon to be Awesome 242 Build Thread

Calvin Sonniksen

Working with Goldenpiggy55 on our 1984 Volvo 242.

Grabbed it from Hollywood and drove it home to San Diego.
Whole ordeal took 16 hours.

First the ignition was bad, then the fuel pump froze.
We got it idling and then it was starved for fuel.
Opened the fuel tank to find the most rust I have ever seen in a gas tank.
Feed pump was seized and we put a fuel line onto the intake for the main pump with a filter I between. For the next several hours we needed to stop every 5 to 15 min to flush clean the inline filter of solid chunks of rust and fill up the coolant as the heater hoses were split.
After atlest 10 hours of work, 2 hours of driving and still 80 miles from home the plugs were fouled and the fuel hose going to the pump was split causing the pump to suck air. After cursing up a storm at a gas station and applying a dozen zip ties to various places, we continued on stoping every 10-30 miles to clean out the fuel filter and lines. Got it home and collapsed in my bed.

After doing basic repairs and getting a new gas tank we took it out and that's when the wiring harness shorted. The Alternator exiting wire was shorting to the starter meaning if the engine was running the starter was engaged. Unplugged the alternator and made it home.
After inspection we decided the harness was ****ed and we yanked it out along with the almost 300k mile engine and transmission.

Going to convert to LH2.4 from 2.1 and a B230FT from the tired B23F
Grabbed a front from a 1979? 240. Round headlights instead of the quad ones.

(More pics will go here)

We have a Good B230FT from my now gone 740 toy. Smoked the AW71.
Several turbos to choose from.
More info to come.

Last edited:
No tow companies, or u-haul dollies? Either way like the black hydra's on it. For some reason that color looks better with the quads and coffin hood!

No truck for a dollies. Too cheap to rent a uhaul truck or pay to tow. It was one of those "meh, it'll make it decisions. Like most of my car based decisions.

Updates? Pulled a 2.4 harness from a 91 245. Going to go back for the electric speedo rear with 3.73s .

Picked up these brakes.

Got me one of those 2.4 flywheels w/ clutch

Need to replace the crap-tastic radiator with a slight better one. This one has a nice jb weld patch glob in the middle and was leaking quite a bit

Also going to recycle the old seats from my wagon to replace the 300k Mile clapped out stockers
Need to figure out brackets if anyone has any ideas for the bottom mount style seats

Calvin is in the process of pulling the auto flywheel and torque converter along with intermediate shaft setup for the block mount distributor. I bought a -10An return kit from Yoshifab and a cam plug and retainer plate from IPD. More updates to follow

Update.

Engine put together.
New stuff:
Front crank seal
Front intermediate shaft seal
Front camshaft seal
Oil pan gasket
Thermostat
Water pump gaskets
Engine and transmission mounts
All rubber accessory bushings
Voltage regulator
Spark plugs

Mods:
Plug for oil return from YoshiFab
Plug for front oil feed

We are making it NA and 2.4 and hoping the smog techs don't realize
it is a B230FT running LH2.4 instead of a B23F running LH2.1.

Last edited:
Update.

Got the engine +transmission in with Jordan's (goldenpiggy) help.

I was all sad Jordan did not want a picture with me.

I wonder how long the M46 will last once I slap my T3/T4 on it at 15psi?
Any ideas? Bets? It has 300k on the transmission. And we are running a 9.5" clutch with 205 tires.

Last edited:
I bet we could get it bar'd, but just wanted to get it running and smogged now. Also didn't want to spend the money on a 13c just to take it back off again. We will have 2 years to do whatever we want. Figure if the car is still around by then we will get it bar'd. Also how does everyone line up the rubber mounts when dropping the engine in. We had a hell of a time doing so. Took the driver side rubber mount off and lined the complete passenger side mount up, dropped it in, and threaded the nut. Then had to unbolt the mount from the engine block on the driver side and line it up/ drop it in before reattaching it to the block.

We still have to finish up the wiring, mainly just plugging things in. Im pretty sure we have to cut a wire for the tps so it doesn't go full rich. Will have to read some more. Also have to figure how to wire the 4 pin connecter by the passenger floor board to the 6 pin connector from the 2.4 harness. We also need to track down the threaded rod for a N/A b230 oil filter. Tried to pull one from the junkyard, but it was dead stuck. Any ideas? The oil cooler from the 740 is too long and hits the exhaust.

Anyone know offhand if we can use a turbo computer or do we have to track down a N/A computer

More pictures to follow

Last edited:
Im pretty sure we have to cut a wire for the tps so it doesn't go full rich.

I still maintain that you don't. Don't do it unless there is a reason to.

... have to figure how to wire the 4 pin connecter by the passenger floor board to the 6 pin connector from the 2.4 harness.

Huh? Sounds like you guys need wiring help. Buy me beer and I might be able to help. Local. Professional auto tech.

Regarding smog: they will document the numbers on the cat. The only way you can put a bigger "turbo" kitty on there will be to do a legit bar swap. If you get the wrong cop, a ticket for tampered emissions will be over $1,000. Be smart about it.

Back