• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Why is my A/C Compressor Crooked?

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
Just put on new bushings and for whatever reason my A/C compressor is sitting at an odd angle

rps20130929_100530.jpg

Ideas?

All bushings that went in place went in the same way the stockers came out.

Thanks

I think it is just because the lock nuts on both adjustment brackets are loose. This is letting the compressor "hang" to one side. At least, that's what I'm seeing in your picture.

Details are 1993 944 Regina

It has the stock bracket as far as I can tell, I did not think the r12 and r134a brackets were different.

factory r134a setup. I have since tightened down the bolts and while it is closer it is still off by just a little which might be part of the reason the adjuster bracket keeps breaking (I rewelded it a few years ago and it has since snapped again to which I added a bit more weld today)

rps20130929_120535_120.jpg

There is a difference. It is the offset of the actual rubber mount features. I noticed this when I replaced the AC bracket on an 89 740 turbo with the bracket off a 1993 940. Does your bracket have rubber mounts at the bottom for the AC compressor, or, is it a solid mount, no rubber bushings?

I think either one might work. I was able to get the compressor lined up properly using the solid mount bracket on their 89 with the R-12 compressor. What was different was the way the upper tensioner went in. That is probably why your tensioner broke. Without having both in front of me, I won't be able to explain it. I had to go out and look at my 95 940 before I figured out why the tensioner would not line up properly. If you want one of the solid mount brackets, I have several on hand.

I just went and looked at my 86 240 to see if I could help, yours looks like mine. I know I had this problem too, and I fixed it somehow. I don't appear to be able to explain it either.

I usually get them to line up by playing with the solid bolts on top, it may never line up 00% on an older car, the belt allows for that, but you can get it close

just so you know there ARE *differences* - here is a THREAD dealing
w/new "yer-ah-thane" bushes:
http://www.turbobricks.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4487290

the above is *240* stuff but I seem to remember someone else had this problem
on their 1993 940 (and IIRC this ALSO is a "bastard year" for the accessories
and drives out front on the block)...I can't find the 940 screed - tho it SOUNDS
like a couple of the previous posts prove it is NOT unique to your car...hopefully
they will be able to cast more light on the subject...
FWIW...I have done a few of the "re-bush" jobs on 240's and I've found EVERY
POSSIBLE WAY to *get it WRONG* in the cars I've "sorted"...the "inner and outer
faces" of the bushings don't look like that "itty bitty" difference would become a hassle
but get them in the wrong way and you'll get that "stupid CANT" of the compressor...

here is the URL for the "stock PART NUMBER" for the bushing...if you go to this page
you can go through the listings for "fitment" and see the VOLVO FACTORY diagrammes
for how the "bushes" are installed...(I'll let YOU do the scroll work since I'm not there to
see EXACTLY what you're dealing with...)...good luck and keep us posted!

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Rubber-bushing/1189003/463909.html

Can you flip the adjuster over so the adjuster bolt is closer to the pulley? This would make the bracket on the compressor sit inwards instead of outwards of the adjuster, thus helping the alignment.

Mine is out at the parents place now since I have the truck in town so I can't verify.

Back