• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B8444 V8 performance action out there?

arsenix

Is there anyone doing anything with the B8444 yet? I know they are pretty new/expensive at this point... but it is a Volvo made V8 which would be pretty slick in a "real" volvo. I assume never being in a longitudinal layout vehicle it doesn't have any bosses for engine mounts on both sides? Does this engine have any features (bell pattern mostly) in common with the whiteblocks?

Couldn't find any threads about it so I figured I'd start one...

James

What is the deal with that engine. I find some things that say it was sort of designed by Volvo and had nothing to do with the SHO V8 and other statements that is was a direct descendent of the SHO engine. Anyone know the real story?

I'm pretty sure the SHO engine has bolt on RWD trans options... maybe the bell pattern is the same? Not that it has mounting bosses that would work... but something can usually be done.

EDIT: I was thinking the SHO V6... which I guess is a fairly different lineage than the SHO V8. The SHO V8 is duratec derived, but if it has a duratec bellhousing pattern it should have rwd options as well.

James

Last edited:
i'd just love to try one of these for my next project, in a 122 it'd be just dandy.

I think about make the same question. That engine use the same transmissions of the whiteblocks? Based in info of the lyerpedia, is a Volvo desing, Yamaha-built engine, maybe to save money.

Anyone who posts a link gets a gold star... I couldn't find anything earlier...

James

There was a thread a while back with a link to a bunch of pictures from one of those massive Swedish Volvo meets. The picture was there. Seems like an awfully nice engine, I just can't love it for Volvo stuff because it isn't a Volvo :( I still bet its phenominal...Yamaha builds awesome stuff.

I think about make the same question. That engine use the same transmissions of the whiteblocks? Based in info of the lyerpedia, is a Volvo desing, Yamaha-built engine, maybe to save money.

Based on what I'm reading there is a good chance it uses some type of Ford based transmission (for other duratec family blocks). Hard to verify though there isn't much info out there. This would be a good thing though there are plenty of bolt on RWD transmissions for the duratec patterns. (truck applications mostly)

James

Based on what I'm reading there is a good chance it uses some type of Ford based transmission (for other duratec family blocks). Hard to verify though there isn't much info out there. This would be a good thing though there are plenty of bolt on RWD transmissions for the duratec patterns. (truck applications mostly)

James

The B8444S uses an Aisin Warner TF80SC. This is a six speed transaxle which I have NEVER seen any problems out of.

The B8444S uses an Aisin Warner TF80SC. This is a six speed transaxle which I have NEVER seen any problems out of.

I've replaced 3 in v8 xc90s in the last 2 months, seen other people do 2 also. They all seem to fail in the same way too, when you force it to kickdown or just accelerate hard the next upshift engages very harshly on/off/on/off about three times and then it just acts like its in neutral because the engine just revs up and bounces of the limiter.

They use the tf80sc in the later s60/v70s and also on the new 3.2 i6, maybe the bolt pattern on the v8 is the same as the older whiteblocks? I haven't really payed attention to that though.

I've replaced 3 in v8 xc90s in the last 2 months, seen other people do 2 also. They all seem to fail in the same way too, when you force it to kickdown or just accelerate hard the next upshift engages very harshly on/off/on/off about three times and then it just acts like its in neutral because the engine just revs up and bounces of the limiter.

They use the tf80sc in the later s60/v70s and also on the new 3.2 i6, maybe the bolt pattern on the v8 is the same as the older whiteblocks? I haven't really payed attention to that though.

Damn, the Californian heat must be getting to them.

I, however, have done a couple engines. One because of a balance shaft, another because of a failed chain tensioner.

sounds like a software/controller issue more than a physical issue

Looks like it has a non-integral bellhousing... so it is likely they have application specific bellhousings. I think that trans is used in a ton of non-volvo applications as well.

James

i have seen a B8444 in a 240 somewhere in the intertubes...

Anyone who posts a link gets a gold star... I couldn't find anything earlier...

James

http://www.garaget.org/?car=4775

large_4775-1264864.jpg

Trans:

4775-271843.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks Cameron!

That's a supra trans, def not a bolt-on but a great trans. The trans bellhousing mounted starter is a PITA.

Looks like they made a plate which bolts to the oil pan (appears to be 1/2" steel or something similarly beefy) to add the left side engine mount. I'm assuming there is a usable mount on the other side but there aren't any pics of that side.

Pretty cool, looks like it was ridiculously difficult though.

James

Back