• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Late model instrument cluster bulb to LED

RickATL

Is there a way to convert the later model (smaller / semi- permenant bulb base) to accept an LED bulb?

I've tried three different LED bulbs that different board threads have said would work. I dont see how they could fit. Maybe im not supposed to use the base? If that is the case, how do they connect to the board.

Attachments

• PicsArt_03-01-02.31.22.jpg
    PicsArt_03-01-02.31.22.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 156
I think that's the correct style (wedge base) for that kind of holder, but it looks like those are the wrong size.

Is that the holder for the big cluster illumination bulbs?

If you can make small measurements superbrightleds provides dimensional drawings of their bulbs so you can check fit by the numbers.

74-cwhp3-for-site.jpg

The leds you have in the picture are the correct ones for the earlier cluster that has a wedge base 168 style bulb with a separate holder. Then in 89 Volvo changed to the halogen bulbs that were fixed into the base. Notice on the wagonmeister site the leds are for the earlier type like I mentioned. Your best bet is to try and adapt and solder in some leds to that later type base.

photo with LED in older base

Yes dl242gt you were correct. They fit perfect in the old style base. I'm wondering if it would be easier to somehow use the older base. The size LEDs I got are plentiful, but Im not so sure about something that would fit in the later 89+

Attachments

• 20210301_211630 (3).jpg
    20210301_211630 (3).jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 135
About 9-10 months ago figured out how to retrofit the 1981-88 bulbs/holders into the 1989-93 instrument clusters. To do this, it does takes a bit of modification to elongating the two ear openings on the back/circuit board, but nothing so much to prevent usage of the original halogen bulbs. This procedure will not disturb the circuit board itself.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=354948

Thanks polaris! The pictures are perfect. Exactly what I was trying to figure out. The search terms I used never led to your thread. People will be able to find it now through this thread.

Make sure that if using any style of bulb holders that the bulb contacts don't short out the two halves of the holder.

i.e glass bulbs have one "leg" on each side - LEDs tend to have legs that extend across both and short the contacts. You can bend or clip them to fix this easily.

Sorry to bother an old thread, but I have a related question. It?s a little off-topic but still referred to as LEDs.

Back