• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Redblock knocked...time to upgrade

jvluntzel

Hi All!

Out of nowhere today my 91 Regina 740 Wagon decided to start knocking and sieze up....:omg:

So im looking to upgrade (never going back to something that slow) I have tools and fab skills, just looking for input from people who have done swaps before on some of the forgotten about difficulties and whatnot.

The car is auto and i plan on keeping it like that to make the swap a little simpler. Also I am wanting to stay inline (no v6/8/10/12)

These are what I have thought of so far:

B230 turbo---easiest to put in, everything bolts up and plugs...good bang for buck
B6304---coolness, 2 cams, great sounds, decent power for a cruiser...would stock driveshaft bolt up and go to my stock straight axle? (i know 960 is IRS)
2JZ---I have experience working with these, would be non turbo for initial simplicity...anyone know if the stock intake manifold that goes over the valve cover fits?
Other RWD oriented inline 4 5 or 6 cyls are welcome.

My junkyard will be having a sale this next week (anything I can get on a 3'x5' cart for 50 bucks....I may get a couple longblocks with trans just for kicks)

Thanks for your positive constructive input! and Include pics of your swaps and odds and ends! Info on if accessories from my redblock will work on swaps would be great too. My AC is icy cold and I plan on keeping it that way!

I always thought it would be cool to get a 4.0 inline 6 from the late 90?s Jeep?s to stick under the hood. They are pretty robust motors, and decently quick (in a Jeep)

I always thought it would be cool to get a 4.0 inline 6 from the late 90?s Jeep?s to stick under the hood. They are pretty robust motors, and decently quick (in a Jeep)

Lol, i guess I'm not the only one that thought about this. great cheap engines

Lol, i guess I'm not the only one that thought about this. great cheap engines

There have been a few threads about a 4.0 swap. I think the conclusion was what?s the point? I love how torquey they are and it?s cool to be different, but at the end of the day it?s a large very heavy 6 cylinder making less than 200hp.

Yeah, it's large, and cast iron I6 with a cast iron heads and weighs close to 600 lbs fully dressed.

Somewhat indestructible, but so is a redblock making under 200 hp.

Do the B6304S! It'll be a 100% bolt in swap since you are staying auto, and I think your stock driveshaft might even work. I bought a complete S90 for $100 and tore it down for everything I needed. I suppose the junkyard route would work fine too.

Do the B6304S! It'll be a 100% bolt in swap since you are staying auto, and I think your stock driveshaft might even work. I bought a complete S90 for $100 and tore it down for everything I needed. I suppose the junkyard route would work fine too.

The electronics to run the B6304 on a Regina platform are hardly "bolt on"...

These used AW4 trans and Regina fuel injection. May have changed to different fuel injection in later years. The AW4 used in these had 4WD and 2WD model availability.

Yeah, it's large, and cast iron I6 with a cast iron heads and weighs close to 600 lbs fully dressed.

Somewhat indestructible, but so is a redblock making under 200 hp.

AMC 4.0L listed as 550 pounds with accessories. Compares to a small block V8?

AMC 4.0L listed as 550 pounds with accessories. Compares to a small block V8?

Aluminum LS is in the 400's.

And it makes a lot more than 200 hp.

It's a lot of work to put a heavy engine in that doesn't make much power.

there are some very nice B6304 turbo setups around.

T5 Whiteblock conversions

Ford 5.0 has been done with great documentation. Needs head$ for HP.

LS of course. Expensivish but HP per dollar is incredible.

How tall is that engine?

No idea. I?ve personally never owned or worked on a Jeep. I had many friends with jeeps back when I lived in the woods in New Jersey. I had no idea their motors weigh so much. Almost makes me feel bad for bringing it up, but not really...I?d still like to see one (links anyone?)

If all else fails you could whiteblock it. My first volvo (my second car) was a daily driven 98 s70. I had it about 2 months before I started upgrading it. All in all it lasted about a year and a half and 50,000 miles of HARD driving until it went boom at 320k miles. Motor was never opened up, just a bunch of bolt ons. It had a 19t and with brand new tires it would spin until 50, and it would walk away from an earlier charger, the Daytona version back in like 2006, with a hemi...that guy was surprised. I?m rambling, but ever since day 1 I always said the only thing I didn?t like about that car was fwd. I swear one day I?ll do that swap

Not exactly.

I'm in the middle of a B6 swap, with an AW30-40e, and the 'Homer' swap mounts. The stock AW70/71 driveshaft is too short. It's not possible to move the engine back any further to make up the slack either, since it would then mean cutting the firewall.

Then you need to sort out the coolant hoses, wiring, sensor placement (to have a working coolant gauge), throttle cable, transmission mount, etc etc. I was able to use the stock BW55 tranny mount bracket, but I had to add a 1-1.5" spacer to get it to bolt up to the transmission. I am in the process of making a spacer to allow the stock driveshaft to be used, but if it's thicker than an inch, I'm not going to risk it unless I can be 100% sure it spins true.

Haha I have a jeep, I love it. But honestly ive thought about swapping...a redblock into it when it dies lol it would be fun to have a turbo jeep

Back