• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Which "T5" do I need to look for?

"I was just happy I was able to drive my car to work, the next day." Been there. Even with noise, sometimes it's a big win.

And it'll stay that way, till I've got the $$$ for a rebuild :nod:

Spent my dough on a rebuilt one for the 242 16vT build, and I can't wait to experience what a fresh one is like :oogle:

It was worth it, just to have swapped to a T5

Just throwing it out there, a nice option is the V6 T5. They're much more common in junkyards, and they have the same 1-4th ratios as the earlier V8 boxes (they changed the ratios ever so slightly on the later ones, 2.95 gearset aside) and the bonus to me is you get a .73 5th which is a little less boggy on the highway than the .68 (and should match perfectly with a 3.73 rear end). Just have to swap to a v8 input shaft (good used ones come up sometimes online) which is pretty simple to do.
The V8's .68 5th gear isn't so bad with 4.11 rear end, but then I find first gear is awfully short...

Where is the Ford v-6 t-5 more common in junkyards?

ONLY time I've ever seen a T5 in ANY junk yard, has been in V6 and 4-cylinder cars.

I'm yet to see a V8 T5 in a junk yard; I'm convinced they don't exist.

It's okay, I can usually get 'em on CL for the same price, but someone's pulled it for me.

V-6 ranger box? Most of those have horrible ratios.
I've got 4 t-5's right now, 3 from junkyards. One is in the car (-249), two are (-208) and one is a (-202). The 249 is the "z" 2.95/.62 Motorsport box, the 208 boxes are straight out of the car 3.35/.72 OEM, and the 202 is a factory built true close ratio 2.95/.80 box. The 202 belongs to a friend and is going in his 5.0 as soon as he picks it up from me.

Got to look in the right yards, there's one in the yard about a mile from me right now, 88 5.0.

Yeah, Ill occasionally stroll down the FoMoCo aisle at the PnP when I'm there, looking at all the 'stangs for stick shifts. The vast majority of them are V6 automatics. Then most of the remainder are V8 automatics. Very rarely I'll see a manual car (V6 or V8) but the engine/trans is long gone.

Crappy ratios and wrong input shaft length. Not sure what input will swap into that one to make it right for our purposes.

As I said before, not crappy ratios, everything is the same except for 5th (which in my opinion, the .73 5th is better)

Taken from the modern driveline website..
"when the 3.8L V6 motor came along and was replaced with 3.35 first gear ratio and either a .73:1 or .68:1 overdrive ratio. Changing out the input shaft of the 94-2004 T-5 with 93 input shaft, will result in ability to use these transmissions for conversion in 65-93 Mustangs or other projects. Everything else remained the same."

I've used a couple of V6 Mustang boxes, one from a '94, one from an '01/'02. Requires swapping the input shaft for a shorter one for a V8 box, circa late 80s. Fits good in a 240. For one, I had a stock M47 driveshaft shortened and modified. For the other, used the yoshifab adapter and a 80s ford capri driveshaft that matches the measurement given on the yoshifab site.

Back