• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Fuel Pump Set Up for Power

73amc

Hey guys,

Curious what the tried and true method is for a single in tank pump set up with a 740 is. What have you done to delete the main pump that's under the car? I have a 740 that I plan to upgrade the pump in hope of making 300 at least.

I would like just one pump in the tank. What wiring needs changed to run the pump etc.

Thanks!

A stock 740 bosch main pressure pump and 740 turbo intank pump would support 300hp. Nothing to change unless you need to because of packaging or failed parts.

I'm sure the walbro users will chime in with what they did. But you don't have change anything is all I'm saying.

The upgrade I would suggest is adding a relay to the main pressure pump so it can get the maximum voltage from your charging system.

^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And many put in a hot rod pump while not giving the wiring any consideration.
Intank is good, but there is nothing wrong with the factory 2 pump system except I don't like the wiring.
Volvo's center of the universe fusebox and general wiring engineering are unconventional bordering on under built.
Age and modding up can easily tip that over.

Well, the only thing I will say to that is the motor that was in the car when I bought it melted the #1 piston down. I have since replaced the motor and have it running, but wanted to proactive and change the wiring and put to rule out the pump being the reasoning behind the first engines failure point.

I have a single in tank aftermarket pump. Mounted a relay in the trunk with the original OEM pump wiring for the switch signal and have a larger wire coming directly from the battery to the relay. Works well. I sourced most of my supplies from a local marine supply store. They seem to have a nice selection of larger gauge wire terminals & electrical supplies. That's also where I sourced the fuel safe wire that i used from the relay into the tank.

I think it all depends on what you mean by "power". You might have to give a tangible power goal for more specific, useful answers.

fuel pump !!!

I got an after market pump and i changes the entire plastic fuel line with a steel one from a late model saturn view in my 240 and tigged the fittings and it works well for me.
good luck Dz:rofl:

Back