• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Removing the entire rear subframe- '95 to '98 960, V90, S90

dm245

I'm about to remove and swap the whole rear end module/subframe, assy- what ever you want to call it. I had to buy the entire '96 960 for just the engine. The parts car felt more solid than my '96 960. What started this was the condition of the exhaust and to get the exhaust out where it goes over the axle and control arms the rear end must be lowered or removed. My 960 apparently was a northern car at one time and its exhaust is very corroded and loose. The parts car came from N.C. car with very little rust what so ever and the exhaust is excellent. All the components like bushings and everything for the rear sub frame are very good shape.

So if I'm dropping the rear sub frame for the exhaust I'll swap sub frames due to condition. I could cut the exhaust up to remove it, I'd rather not and keep it as is and uncut.

Anyone have any tips dropping and installing the complete rear end assy. Looks straight forward and basically looks like 4 thick bolts holding it to the body with a whole bunch of other things. Like brake lines, parking brake etc... Just looking for any tips. The complete IRS assy, module, rear end looks like a job for sure. Thanks for any ideas on this, Dave

Anyone local to Louisville can come by for parts from the parts car. Pretty much complete except engine and related parts.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/d/parting-out-1996-volvo-960/6342981300.html

You don't have to drop subframe because of exhaust. Front and rear muffler have a joint between them. It's in the part where pipe from front muffler bends down towards rear muffler. There is a clamp or at least used to be. Several times clamp has rusted out and pipes just stay together. They usually come apart with reasonable force.

Haven't removed the whole subframe but I'd say handbrake cable joints have to be opened, driveshaft, shocks and speedo sensor wiring connector removed. If I remember correctly, upper part of the subframe is attached with 4 bolts and lower control arms are bolted on to the body. After removing those it "should" come down. I'm not 100% if there were any cable fasteners which have to be opened from the trunk opening above the subframe.

You don't have to drop subframe because of exhaust. Front and rear muffler have a joint between them. It's in the part where pipe from front muffler bends down towards rear muffler. There is a clamp or at least used to be. Several times clamp has rusted out and pipes just stay together. They usually come apart with reasonable force.

Haven't removed the whole subframe but I'd say handbrake cable joints have to be opened, driveshaft, shocks and speedo sensor wiring connector removed. If I remember correctly, upper part of the subframe is attached with 4 bolts and lower control arms are bolted on to the body. After removing those it "should" come down. I'm not 100% if there were any cable fasteners which have to be opened from the trunk opening above the subframe.

Thanks for the response. While doing the engine swap I did use the front half/down pipe with the cat and O2 sensors. Mine is rusted while the one from the parts car is non rusted and clean. That golden color that stainless turns when heated. And that's how the entire exhaust looks with all hangers and mounting ears in place. With the front half removed there is still no way to fish the back half out where it goes up and over the rear end assy. It is trapped by the assy including the upper control arm, axle and all that entails the right rear suspension. Parking brake even works on the parts car. Hasn't on any of the 960's I've had. And the parking brake cables are hidden/covered up by the IRS assy. Making it hard to get to the parts needed to repair it. Volvo did a poor job there making it inaccessible with out other disassembly.

Just an update since I found this old post. I did drop the IRS from mine and the parts car as well as the exhaust. Exhaust is very quiet inside the car and swapped the IRS from the parts car. Pleased with the exhaust and the swapped in IRS. Was a job for sure, but got it all done before the cold set in.

Still have the '96 960 parts car if anyone in the Louisville area wants to come by. No engine, complete rust free exterior.

Back