• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Main fuel hose torn

prometheus_aflame

1990 245 DL

So I thought I was running rich and inspected the fuel hose coming from the sending unit into the main fuel pump under the car. The fuel hose is torn and fuel is leaking. I need to know the correct length and diameter of this hose to replace it. Not sure which fuel hose I need to disconnect from the sending unit. Help is appreciated.

Last edited:
The internal size of the tank to pump hose is 12mm. Be sure you buy fuel rated hose. A meter length piece of hose is good. When you look at the sending unit from the port under the back storage area. You will see the largest hose has a clamp and runs to the pump. The return hose is smaller. Make sure any clamps you buy are the type for fuel injection hose.

By removing the back seat and the rear storage floor you can get to the cover of the hole in the body to replace the hose on the sender.

The internal size of the tank to pump hose is 12mm. Be sure you buy fuel rated hose. A meter length piece of hose is good. When you look at the sending unit from the port under the back storage area. You will see the largest hose has a clamp and runs to the pump. The return hose is smaller. Make sure any clamps you buy are the type for fuel injection hose.

Excellent info. Thanks!

I see three fuel hoses, listed from rear to front:

Feed line 1: about an inch or two long. Looks like an end cap style hose.
Feed line 2: Smaller circumference fuel line. Looks like the return hose as described.
Feed line 3: Larger circumference fuel line, closest to the front of the sending unit. This looks like my send hose as described.

I replaced the fuel sending unit and hose clamps coming from the sender last week. Next time I do this job with another brick owner, I'll be sure to inspect that fuel hose from now on.

I've read the following steps to relieve fuel pressure and replace the hose from the Haynes manual prior to performing this job, and I need to confirm this is the correct procedure:

Disconnect fuse 6 on the fuse panel
Start the car and allow the car to stall
Remove key
Remove gas cap and replace
Disconnect negative battery cable
Remove interior floor panel from above sending unit.
Disconnect ground and electrical wiring harness from sending unit.
Remove sending unit access panel
Remove fuel hose and clamp from sending unit first, main pump second.
Replace fuel hose and clamps from main pump first, sending unit second.
Reassemble access panel sending unit wiring harness, and ground wire.
Replace fuse 6
Reconnect negative battery cable
Start car and ensure no leak.
Reassemble interior floor panel.

Last edited:
Any big-rig truck parts place will have Gates 7/16" fuel hose and that's what I use instead of the difficult-to-source 12mm stuff. Works great.

I looked on BelMetric.com and the 12mm inside diameter fuel hose is sold at an 18mm outside diameter with a braided exterior. Looks much better than the OEM line design.

I ordered one meter length of that hose and two ABA size 3 (13-20mm clamping range) stainless 9mm wide fuel hose clamps with a 400-2000 hour salt spray rating. I'm parking this thing until the replacements get in. Thanks for the help all! Will update when I finish the replacement.

Last edited:
I went through the procedure to relieve fuel pressure, but the car still ran after 20 minutes with the fuel injection and fuel pump relays disengaged (done by removing fuse 6 and starting the car). The fuel hose and clamps were a perfect fit during replacement. I faced away from the fuel lines as I removed them to prevent getting fuel on my face. The only step I didn't originally see was that there is a fuel hose bracket that holds the fuel hose up safely near the car in between the main pump and the sending unit. It is secured with a single 8mm bolt and was pretty rusty. I hit it with some QuickGlo and a toothbrush to shore it up, which actually worked very well as it's a nice clean surface now. I also had to manually cut the original hose clamps off as they were basically gone at that point.

Thanks for the help with another successful repair!

Back