• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Where are the 122 owners?

mr2peak

I've got a 122 and a few questions about suspension modifications and some other stuff. Where do you guys hang out? What's the most active 122 forum? I know there are a few of you guys around here, but no real place for 122 stuff.

Yeah, ask away! We're around, and some of us have been more in depth with these cars than others have. I'm sure you can get the answers you need, or at least get pointed in the right direction! I'm in Kansas City, and have a '67 122 wagon, and two 122 coupes, a '65 and a '67. The '65 coupe I was driving almost daily got t-boned by an uninsured motorist two days after Christmas, so I'm building up my '67 coupe currently, with quite a few modifications. My wagon is a long term project, and currently in storage. My father has a '66 coupe that we did a complete restoration on a couple of years ago. It is also modified in a number of ways, and has won best of show at one national Volvo club meet, as well as a number of other events. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have, and I'll be glad to help!

I'm pretty sure I don't know anything about keeping an Amazon stock, but I will help when I can.

Adam

Keep in mind a few of us older/mature Tbers have owned 544 series, 120 series, & 140 series as well as others. Think I have owned at least 4 120s

I'm pretty sure I don't know anything about keeping an Amazon stock, but I will help when I can.

Adam

Ditto...:)

PicturesAugust152007273.jpg

I'm not very active on here but I'm becoming more so lately. This is probably the best place for US based activity on 122s. Some users here crosspost on swedespeed as well, but this forum is more active. I put my 122 build thread on swedespeed (just because I have a couple FWD cars as well), but they have a nasty troll in the 122 forum who they won't ban for some reason, so my enthusiasm for posting over there is greatly diminished. I'll probably start a thread here when I get around to my T5 motor swap. Since pictures always make threads better, here is mine:

122_291.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has ever been banned from Swedespeed. :lol:

To be honest, the only reason I still even use that forum is because Phil Singher isn't on here. I still end up cross-posting almost everything I post there to here also.

Nice cars guys!

I'll definitely check out swedespeed.com

Staying stock is not something I do... Here's my build thread. Mostly interior work so far. Very pic heavy.
http://slamburglars.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2283

My first question is what lowering spindles are available for the 122? I keep reading about the Mustang II front end and drop spindles, but that seems to be a whole subframe swap and something I won't be doing until I decide if I'm going to swap the car or not. So do I need to whole subframe to use them? The rear seems like it can go very low with just a spring change, the front seems to have a bit more in the way.

Also, I've been looking at the V-performance progressive spring kit, any reviews? Seems like it's a nice setup. I'd be going about an inch lower than that.

In Portland, Oregon we have a very strong following for the older Volvos, 122, 544, 444, and even the forgotten 140 series!

A favorite resource of mine is the Portland Round Fender Group on Yahoo. We have monthly get togethers... you have to ask to join however, and of course if you don't live in Oregon or Washington, it might be difficult to attend! Find us at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PDXvolvos/

By the way, here's our baby (bare-metal, complete strip-down resto)...
Before:

As she sits now:

More photos of the restoration at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/flynhwn7/sets/72157629321223592/

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read all the posts.

I recommend going to Olof at Vintage Import Parts (http://www.vintageimportparts.com/used.htm) or Mike Dudek at iRoll Motors (http://irollmot.ipower.com/oscom/index.php?cPath=26&osCsid=3f53e2c2a56a7d84277b8fbcd39ab73c) for new parts. Between the two of them, you should be able to find most replacement parts, including seals, trim, and engine stuff.

If you're looking for OEM stuff, and don't mind it having some of that "original patina", contact Chris Horn (who lives here in Oregon). PM me for his contact info.

IPD used to stock performance stuff for the B18/20, but it might be worthwhile going straight through Isky or other performance houses to avoid their markup. Interestingly enough, Galen (oldschool) found performance solid lifters on the Jeg's website for WAY less than other competitors, but you have to buy the kit for the V8, which means you end up with double the amount of lifters (go in half and half with someone else and score!)

Agree with Andrew... have not heard good things about VPD.

If you want to lower your 122, I suggest a spring kit. Several outlets stock them, including those stateside and in Europe. If all else fails, measure the diameter and dimensions of your stock springs, and order them from Summit or Eibach.

Last edited:
Don't ever buy anything from John at VPD, if that's who you're referring to. You'll be lucky to get your parts in under 3 years if you ever get them at all. Here's a link to a little more information on his company. Shiny parts. Customer service leaves MUCH to be desired.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=234499

If you want to spend mucho $$$ on probably the top-of-the-line suspension then go this route:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=248018

If you're cheap like me then there are other routes including cutting springs and short springs. I don't know of any drop sindles available for these cars. Maybe something custom could be made like some guys do for the old Type II VWs :e-shrug:.

Certainly not spending Sweedish Ops money, other parts of the car could use some help before that happens! Too bad about V-performance, I might have to talk to him on the phone and get a promise from him on parts delivery, or a refund. If I go through my credit card company I'll have buyers protection.. Rather not do that, but spring choices are pretty limited it seems.

What other car springs fit the 122 apart from the Civic kits? Apparently those don't ride too well and require cutting and welding the lower A-arms. I really want a bolt-in solution. The car is new to me and I haven't decided on a direction yet so cutting and welding seems a bit premature.

V-Performance isn't worth the pain. The springs are easy if you just want to lower the car - a couple of inches is fine. There are no drop spindle options and MII stuff has the same problems as the stock unit. There is really nothing wrong with the stock steering.

Now, that being said - I'm putting C4 Corvette stuff in my car and just got my custom steering rack today - definitely not the lowest cost option.

417717_4957216042785_389578250_n.jpg

Anyway - keep firing, vintage people are on this forum.

Craig

That looks pretty. I really want to do a rack conversion, the steering box is giving me nightmares. I put a Quaife 2.5 rack in my old mk1 mr2, best mod I ever did on that car.

I do want to go just a few inches lower, and I'm leaning more and more towards cutting the stock springs. Anyone have experience with this? If I'm going to get springs, I'm going to get nice ones, and the VP ones seem to be the best, if not the only option out there.

Who else makes springs that are available? Did IPD stop carrying 122 lowering springs?

Last edited:
I'm well-aware of the fact that I can order any size/weight spring I want, I just have no idea how many coils/free length/weight springs I should be putting on the car. I would rather buy a kit that has been tested than start to guess and get it wrong.

Has IPD discontinued their spring set?

As far as springs, check out Skandix (skandix.com) lowering kit. I'm going to buy and attempt an install them on my 142, before May.However, im only installing front ones because the back is low enough already.

Skandix only lists stock springs, and a 25mm progressive drop but front only. Looks more and more like I will be cutting these bad boys. Worst case I mess it up and order new stockers for $100. All these people with lowered Amazons, I thought finding proper lowering springs would be much easier.

Post an ad in the wanted section here for some lowering springs. That's how I got my standard lowering springs. I didn't use them but I'm saving them for a future Amazon I might have. I believe Ipd did indeed discontinue the sport springs for these cars. Just like they discontinued the adjustable panhard bars and the alloy valve covers.

Back