• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Driveshaft halves installation (SOLVED)

New u joint is in and all is well with that. However I have no idea how to orient the 2 shafts. I ended up dropping the front shaft too as you can see, to make it easier to install. My shafts do NOT have arrows as far as I can see. Is there any way of knowing how this is supposed to be in order to not vibrate? Please and thanks.
y8hcMav_d.jpg

They won't have arrows but smears of paint like yellow or white. I can't tell if the shafts are clean but if you wipe all the grease off, it might reveal the smears of paint.

Yeah there’s some yellow blobs that look like they were created by a 3 year old. Installed those as close as possible and it still vibrates.

Strange usually the zerk fitting is on the 'cross' not the cup so it supplies all the bearings with one fitting.
Zerk in cup can supply all the bearings if the crossbone is drilled thru in both directions. Best way to use those is to remove the zerk fitting after greasing and install plug, until next time.

I can’t say for sure if the car is vibrating since I haven’t had it on the highway yet, but he did seem to vibrate when it was on jackstands the same way it did before. So I’m assuming it’s going to vibrate just as bad still. I had the axle supported so it was like the car was sitting at his normal ride height.

So do you need the drive shaft that I got from you. I still have it if you need it. You probably did this but after you install everything tap around the ujoints, it help seat everything and free it up. Should be no tension if the joints are seated.

How good is your center support mount?
It?s decent but the vibration only stared after I separated the halves.

I have yet to drive the car on the highway with the new u joint, but on jackstands it seemed like it vibrated at like 60mph through 80mph or something. So highway speeds. I?d drive it on the highway today but for some reason it?s snowing it?s ass off. It was like 60F yesterday.
So do you need the drive shaft that I got from you. I still have it if you need it. You probably did this but after you install everything tap around the ujoints, it help seat everything and free it up. Should be no tension if the joints are seated.
Not yet but I?ll keep that in mind. I?d have to separate that one too to replace the center support bearing.

Still vibrates at highway speed but it’s bearable. I think the halves may be up to 30 degrees off. It’s very difficult to get it perfect.

Just out of curiosity, wondering if you measured the diameters of each section ?

* I have a 92 m47 & recall the rear section larger in dia. Front around 2" rear 2.5" (iirc), I recall not being able to find info about this, but fortunately ran across an exact replacement in better cond & for a reasonable price.

Back