• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Homer's 1990 240 redblock exorcism

Have you read any positive reviews for those things form people running forced induction?

I almost bought one for the BMW but a lots of reviews seemed iffy, so I'm thinking of going with Radium instead. I like how OEM it looks though so interested if your research turned up additional info.

Yeah, I did notice a trend with the negative reviews. People were using the thing without returning the oil back to the sump. Apparently that is a pretty critical factor in getting the most out of it. Also, if the oil drain is above the oil level you need to run the inline check valve that's optional. It is on backorder for a little bit which is why I don't have mine yet.

That radium one looks fancy though. I can't really see this not working.

I think the trick is velocity - in order for the "centrifugal" action of the can to really kick in the gas speed needs to be high enough.

Are you feeding it form the block port where the breather box went and draining into the 960 oil pan fitting?

My elaborate setup on the T6 with 2 fittings from the head and a return into the 960 pan managed pressure well but even with a large can and a labyrinth inside, it smelled terribly venting through a filter to atmosphere.

Running a closed system with really good separation is the only real option for a daily IMO.

I think the trick is velocity - in order for the "centrifugal" action of the can to really kick in the gas speed needs to be high enough.

Are you feeding it form the block port where the breather box went and draining into the 960 oil pan fitting?

My elaborate setup on the T6 with 2 fittings from the head and a return into the 960 pan managed pressure well but even with a large can and a labyrinth inside, it smelled terribly venting through a filter to atmosphere.

Running a closed system with really good separation is the only real option for a daily IMO.

I don't think it relies on just that principle. I believe a good portion of the oil separation is done by the filter element. The text notes that it is a coalescence separator, but also mentions the "Centrifugal" action helps to drop out a bit of oil before hitting the element.

Here is some text from the data sheet.
MANN+HUMMEL has carried out extensive tests on a wide range of media. The medium used in filter element (9) is cost-effective and fulfils the highest quality requirements. The new type of coalescence separator is able to reduce
the residual oil content of blow-by gas to an extremely low level. Depending on the
particle spectrum of the oil content, the separator uses the most appropriate separation
principle. As a result, ProVent? is ideally suitable to comprehensively meet
the requirements of the next generation of engines.

The tangential ingression leads to an excellent pre-separation of the oil vapour in the blow-by gases. The gases flow through the oil separator (9) located in the housing. The separated oil is directed through the oil return pipe (3) back to the engine oil sump. The cleaned blow-by gases flow through the pressure regulator (4) and exit ProVent?

I'm going to feed it from the stock box outlet. It's not set in stone of course so I'll prob try other configurations.

Yeah I absolutely hate the smell of atmosphere vented crankcase vents. This setup should hopefully reduce the amount of crud entering the intake path.

damn your overtaking me lol.
Throttle setup is great to see, im just going to copy you :lol:
Looking great tho, good motivation for me.
Any goals for when the first start up will be?

also what are you doing about fuel rail, me7 returnless rail?
I think im going to drill/cut the end of my me7 returnless rail and weld a fitting for the return.

damn your overtaking me lol.
Throttle setup is great to see, im just going to copy you :lol:
Looking great tho, good motivation for me.
Any goals for when the first start up will be?

also what are you doing about fuel rail, me7 returnless rail?
I think im going to drill/cut the end of my me7 returnless rail and weld a fitting for the return.

Haha, slow and steady or something.
First start up, well I'd like to have it ready to take up to Lincoln, NE at the end of june for the FSAE Lincoln competition. (3 hrs away)

The fuel rail I'm using is the return style with the FPR mounted on it. I need to find a SAE to metric bubble fitting so I can use the factory fuel line.

Is the metric bubble flare the same as a 2/7/9 series feed? If so I can get -6jic to 14mm flare for use with stock feed line.

Is the metric bubble flare the same as a 2/7/9 series feed? If so I can get -6jic to 14mm flare for use with stock feed line.

Yeah its the factory one. Has the male bubble with the female threads. The whiteblock rail has some sort 5/16 SAE 45 flare (male) on it. If you have something that at least gets to JIC/AN that'd be fantastic!
This is the fuel rail fitting.
DSC_0075.jpg

Last edited:
Made a visit to the local aircraft supply house. I love those places.
$8.95 grab bag of aluminum (umpco and adel) p clamps.
2012-04-27

Just ****can those stupid fittings. They are leak prone anyways. Weld AN fittings straight onto the rail and be done with it. :nod: You have a TIG that can do aliminum precisely so that you don't need 37 different fitting adapters to make a fuel rail work. :-D

Back