• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Exhaust sealing? Paste? Silicone? Magic?

EivlEvo

Just finished up the new downpipe for the 19t. I've generally never used any sort of assembling sealer at the joints but... Figured it's worth asking while it's apart.

I'm using those impact band clamp things at the joints and it's all slip fit for the joints.

Any opinions on this? (LOL)

You are talking about joints that are downstream from the headpipe, right? The stuff linked above is good, but $12 for a little tube. It looks just like roofing mastic, the tarry, fibrous goop for roof sealing. That is what I use and it works great. You might have to buy a gallon, but I keep it around anyway for my roof. An added benefit is that it retards rusting in the joints and they are easier to take apart than with nothing in there.

I have had decent luck with the generic exhaust sealing tape from the auto parts store in the past. But then again, they won't get into really tight crevices.

To seal the band clamp on my exhaust recently. I just tried out the high temp copper rtv. It was something like $7 from summit racing. It is supposed to be good for 700 degrees. lol. Doing well so far.

While were talking joints, should the clamp be positioned in the middle of the slip fitting slots? I always wonder if air will escape through the slot.

I assume the slot is meant to be compressed so that is where the clamp should be.

The clamps for slip fit are lap joint clamps and are slightly larger on half of the clamp so that goes over the larger side of the pipe slip fit. There are also butt joint clamps that you could use for that but I like the lap joint design better for slip fit tubing.

Back