• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 how to check fuel pumps?

speedn_j

Banned
1986 245n/a 5 speed.

my neighbor asked if i could take a look at her wagon it hasnt started in years. her husband said it keeps blowing the fuse for the pump so he put a 25 amp in it. (probably fried the wires after he did that).neighbor said that the car ran then one day wouldnt run and its been sitting in the driveway since. the car wont start..cranks but cant even get it to pop. which means that it could be something else or maybe both pumps?? right? im just guessing on this but was thinking on changing the prepump in the tank

You can jumper the pumps at the fuse panel to bypass the relay. This will turn the pump(s) to "on" regardless of whether the car is turned on or not. You should audibly be able to hear them. If the in tank pump dies the car can still run - it'll be ****ty but still run - but if the main pump dies you'll have a dead car.

http://cleanflametrap.com/transferPump.htm

My '88 244 recently had an intermittent no start. It would start with a jumper at the fuse block. Thanks Dave. I assumed that the relay was bad. However, it turned out to be corrosion in the fuse block at #6.

You can jumper the pumps at the fuse panel to bypass the relay. This will turn the pump(s) to "on" regardless of whether the car is turned on or not. You should audibly be able to hear them. If the in tank pump dies the car can still run - it'll be ****ty but still run - but if the main pump dies you'll have a dead car.

http://cleanflametrap.com/transferPump.htm

ill do this tomorrow. i wasnt sure which fuse blocks to jump at the time (jump #4 to #6). i'll also verify spark.

its been blowing the #4 fuse. that probably means that the main pump is going out right?

Last edited:
replaced the relay and jumpered the fuses. i can hear the main pump run but cant hear the pre pump. but i cant get it to fire up at alll.

How much gas is in your gas tank?

You can also disconnect the rubber hose from the inlet of the main pump, jumper the tank pump and check if it pumps fuel into a bucket.

I suspect that the tank pump is dead and the rubber hose that connects the tank pump to the sending unit may have a hole in it.

How much gas is in your gas tank?

You can also disconnect the rubber hose from the inlet of the main pump, jumper the tank pump and check if it pumps fuel into a bucket.

I suspect that the tank pump is dead and the rubber hose that connects the tank pump to the sending unit may have a hole in it.

not much gas. its under 1/4 tank. i bet that could be one of my issues.

Fill the tank with some gas.. I got it to fire up and idle but the idle was high and a lil erratic. It was idling for about 10 mins so I figured I'd take it around the block. As soon as I pull out of the driveway it dies. Seems to be something heat related because if I let it sit for 10 mins it'll fire up and run for a few seconds then die. i cant get it to stay running now

Last edited:
i took the prepump out and sender. it was in pretty bad shape. installed the 850 fuel pump and slapped it back in the tank. still nothing. its barely working. not even a lil whine. only getting 6 volts for whatever reason. i thought there was soppose to be 12 at the prepump connector.

Last edited:
Back