• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hackster's Wagon

Whatever you guys come up with on the clutch setup, please post the details. I am about to throw a 15g on my beater 78 and while it has a new clutch from when i did the swap, I anticipate slippage..

Costs are relative, but I've just pieced together my T5 swap. Keeping in mind I'm in Alaska and have far fewer resources than you do, I'm about $500 in parts and $200 for the transmission.

I think it's a good deal, again, everything is relative. I bought my kit from yoshifab, as well as the clutch (stock spec), cross member, trans bush, clutch cable, and speedo cable.

Great service, haven't installed the parts...yet.

If you decide to go with a 1pc driveline let me know and I can take pictures to show you how well mine clears.

Costs are relative, but I've just pieced together my T5 swap. Keeping in mind I'm in Alaska and have far fewer resources than you do, I'm about $500 in parts and $200 for the transmission.

I think it's a good deal, again, everything is relative. I bought my kit from yoshifab, as well as the clutch (stock spec), cross member, trans bush, clutch cable, and speedo cable.

Great service, haven't installed the parts...yet.

Does that include an adapter? Seems on the cheap side of things especially in AK.

I just added that stuff up from their website and it totals $743.69, not including a clutch cable or a pressure plate and still need a shifter, throwout bearing and pilot bearing. Flywheel too. Oh and then there is shipping on top of that. If you got all that stuff for $500.00 that is a steal!

If I can come up with a tranny, then that is the direction I will go, if not, put a clutch in it and drive it. Clutch with the right setup will probably be $350 or so, nothing else.

I should know in a day or so about the clutch for the m47.

Sean

Not a lot of time tonight.

I tried to get over to IPD today and just buy some adjustable torque rods, but it just did not pan out.

Got home, got some junk out and came up with these.

almost too easy, already had poly bushings in them.

You can see in this first photo that I sectioned out two and a half inches or so and slid in some threaded rod into the short end side.

Ground the paint off the other end, faced it with a grinder and put a nut on it.

Welded everything out and tapped the 3/4-10 nut to clean out all the threads. Threw a coat of paint on them and here we go.

Probably going to throw these on after work tomorrow.

Sean

Well son of a bitch.....A small change in plans for the wagon.

Its getting a t5. What I have managed to get together in the past two days.

World Class 3.35 first t5 (Junkyard version)
Most of a Dales Adapter
Mustang t5 driveline
lightened 2.4 flat flywheel
Stock real turbo pressure plate
Ford 8.5" 2.3 non turbo 10 spline clutch disc
9103pp pilot bearing
Stock new rubber tranny mount
3 quarts of crappy ATF

Pretty sure that is about all I need.

Going to have a two piece driveline made up for it on Monday and get the plte built for the tranny mount.

Hope to have this done and on the road before xxx.

No pics sorry folks.

Sean

The speed of your progress is astounding! I'm doing pretty much the same thing, just spread out over triple the timeframe, lol.

Have you considered going hydro on the clutch setup? Also , when you say "lightened 2.4 flywheel" do you mean a chopped down version that 35lb monster? Pics?

Subscribed.

Well son of a bitch.....A small change in plans for the wagon.

Its getting a t5. What I have managed to get together in the past two days.

World Class 3.35 first t5 (Junkyard version)
Most of a Dales Adapter
Mustang t5 driveline
lightened 2.4 flat flywheel
Stock real turbo pressure plate
Ford 8.5" 2.3 non turbo 10 spline clutch disc
9103pp pilot bearing
Stock new rubber tranny mount
3 quarts of crappy ATF

Pretty sure that is about all I need.

Going to have a two piece driveline made up for it on Monday and get the plte built for the tranny mount.

Hope to have this done and on the road before xxx.

No pics sorry folks.

Sean

yeah but those are haraldparts?, you will soon part and crush the car

You're going to want a heavier plate or a more aggressive disk. That will probably slip around 10psi.

Also, the the disks a similar thickness?

If I can find the damn time to do it, I'm redrilling a flywheel to run the ford turbo 2.3 PP and disk for my T5.

You're going to want a heavier plate or a more aggressive disk. That will probably slip around 10psi.

Also, the the disks a similar thickness?

If I can find the damn time to do it, I'm redrilling a flywheel to run the ford turbo 2.3 PP and disk for my T5.

If you redrill the flywheel for the turbo setup, is the stack height on the clutch and pressure plate the same?

What i am asking is, can you use the same throwout bearing with the turbo clutch pp as with the stock setup?

If that is the case, i might just redrill the flywheel to the bigger 9" mustang stuff.

Thanks for the heads up and,let me know.

Sean

I believe the stack height is different. I was going to use a hydraulic TB so I wasn't too focused on it.
I'll ask a few of the local SVO guys about it.

I am halfway tempted at this point, to just hold off on the swap and order a clutch from SPEC for this.

Everything else seems to be kind of a pain.

Let me know what you find out from the SVO peeps though, I appreciate the info.

Sean

If I am reading this right, I believe I am running the same set up that you are.

2.3 Sachs Mustang non-turbo fullface organic disk, 8.5" on a flat flywheel. The disk is barely bigger than the Volvo Sachs, and I believe I have measurements for PPs and disks on both ends.

No slippage so far, but admittedly I do not drive it often. Yoshifab was running a similar setup if I remember correctly, I could be mistaken, and it held 300hp fine.

Sounds very similar....how much boost are you running? What mods?
Thanks for chiming in.

Sean

If I am reading this right, I believe I am running the same set up that you are.

2.3 Sachs Mustang non-turbo fullface organic disk, 8.5" on a flat flywheel. The disk is barely bigger than the Volvo Sachs, and I believe I have measurements for PPs and disks on both ends.

No slippage so far, but admittedly I do not drive it often. Yoshifab was running a similar setup if I remember correctly, I could be mistaken, and it held 300hp fine.

Got the two piece driveline all rebuilt, shortened and balanced and picked up today.

I believe that I have everything I need now other than a new rubber for the carrier bearing.

The plan is to swap the tranny out Friday night after work. Hope that all goes well.

Oh, just remembered that I need a 7/8 freeze plug for the speedo hole.

I am trying the stock turbo pp with the 2.3 non turbo disc and we will see how it does.

Sean

Yeah so that disc +
2200lb pp on a flat flywheel. Hopefully it holds, the pedal should be nicer than the dual diaphram 3000lb pp i had in there before.
http://yoshifab.com/images/volvo/16vswap/6.jpg held nearly 400whp

EDIT: never mind the 2200lb pp slipped at 313whp/318ftlb and he swapped the 3000lb plate back in.

Sean i think you're going to be okay with that setup. I would want to try it as well.

Last edited:
Back