home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-16-2019, 04:14 AM   #451
Finnish240
Board Member

Does that td05 work well with Volvo exhaust manifold? What kind of turbine housing does it have? Keep up your good work!
Old 06-16-2019, 11:35 PM   #452
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

I was having some random running issues where it would go dead rich and I assumed it was something with the new turbo but it was just another MAF failure. I think that's like the 5th or 6th one in my 3 years of Volvo ownership.

It's a TD05H-20G with an 8cm T3 housing, internally gated. Apart from the drain being really close to the actuator and having to ratchet strap the engine to get the manifold/turbo in there, install was pretty painless. 55.8/49.1mm inconel turbine wheel, 52.5/68mm compressor wheel, AR .57.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #453
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

I bought MTC mudflaps to protect my rust holes and I gotta say I'm a little disappointed in the quality control..

Cwazywazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #454
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

It ran great with a known good maf, for a few miles. It's doing the same crap in that video now.

Last edited by Cwazywazy; 06-18-2019 at 01:33 AM..
Old 06-18-2019, 02:41 AM   #455
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

No amount of blur will hide the rust.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #456
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

My intake manifold appears to be leaking oil.

Still trying to get the kinks worked out but I should be able to slap in my new injectors and start playing with the boost soon..
Old 06-27-2019, 09:57 PM   #457
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Today I drove on an actual racetrack for the first time. I'd say it was a success since I was able to drive the car home in one piece, but unfortunately I only got to do about 15 minutes of actual balls to the wall driving. SCCA Tracknight event at Palmer motorsports. Paced laps went well then in my first session I was trying my darndest to pass the Cayman in front of me (He was going pretty slow, for that car) and I noticed some weird noises in boost and it was running terrible at part throttle. Also the temp gauge was riding the white line just before the red zone. I decided to keep pushing since it wasn't knocking or seriously overheating, but then my brake pedal went to the floor with no warning. Cruised back into the pits and found all my turbo to manifold nuts were completely loose..

The nuts holding my turbo on are copper locknuts and I made sure they were all super tight this morning while I was giving it a check over. The manifold to head nuts are exactly the same and haven't come loose at all.

I'm dumb for never having bled the brakes on this car but in my defense, before today at least, it always had a super solid pedal and stopped really good. After they cooled off I had my pedal back but it was a bit spongy so I just bolted my turbo back on and drove home instead of taking my chances going back out. The turbo gasket is wasted and leaky now too.

Dunno what to do about the cooling problem.. I've got a Nissens 3 row in nice shape that I thoroughly flushed when I had the head off. Running roughly 20% coolant and some Water Wetter. Also starts to run a little hot at 70-80 on the highway with the AC on full blast. Running a stock 940 fan with the shroud modified to fit.

Still a really fun day.

Oh yeah, my overdrive went out like a mile after I got on the highway. It was doing some weird stuff until I turned it off. Hopefully it's just low on fluid, haven't even checked it in 3 years. I was gonna do a fluid change but my new overdrive gasket was torn..
Old 07-05-2019, 11:05 PM   #458
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Never buying a K&N filter again. The drainback valve just didn't work, took 5+ seconds for the oil light to go out on cold starts. Like two drops came out when I replaced it with a Mann.

I also put in all my gauges. Hot idle is a hair over 1bar, 3-4bar cruising. I'm a little concerned about the hot idle but I think it's fine. 5w40 synthetic. Somehow broke all my dash lights except for the one over the fan knob..

Decided I hated the tailpipe, mainly because it wasn't straight so its been replaced with a stock one.

Put on my IPD bash pan to hopefully gain a little mileage and cooling efficiency. Thinking of sticking a pusher fan in front of the condenser.

Also changed the ATF for 5w30 (10w30? I forget) in the M46. Shifting feels the same but overdrive works now. I haven't seen how well it works over a long drive and I don't expect it to live a whole lot longer. On the hunt for a new M46.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #459
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Never buying a K&N filter again. The drainback valve just didn't work, took 5+ seconds for the oil light to go out on cold starts. Like two drops came out when I replaced it with a Mann.

I also put in all my gauges. Hot idle is a hair over 1bar, 3-4bar cruising. I'm a little concerned about the hot idle but I think it's fine. 5w40 synthetic. Somehow broke all my dash lights except for the one over the fan knob..

Decided I hated the tailpipe, mainly because it wasn't straight so its been replaced with a stock one.

Put on my IPD bash pan to hopefully gain a little mileage and cooling efficiency. Thinking of sticking a pusher fan in front of the condenser.

Also changed the ATF for 5w30 (10w30? I forget) in the M46. Shifting feels the same but overdrive works now. I haven't seen how well it works over a long drive and I don't expect it to live a whole lot longer. On the hunt for a new M46.
Buy my wagon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #460
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
Buy my wagon.
I'll give you what you paid for it if you throw in that 140 of yours.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #461
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
I'll give you what you paid for it if you throw in that 140 of yours.
Deal.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #462
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Overdrive is definitely gone. I got it to engage but it kept going in and out. Probably just needs new solenoid o rings or whatever, but I picked this up today:

Early style with mech speedo. Guy said OD worked fine so it might work. We'll see.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #463
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

I made a mistake. I measured all my old clutch disks and threw in the thickest one. It slips bad. It's my old cali clutch smoothlock, when it started slipping previously I thought it was the pressure plate. It's about .3mm thicker than the Sachs disk I had, which could barely hold the power. The good news is that my trans shifts great and the overdrive works perfect. Speedo works too now, although it reads slow. (Shows 35 when I'm doing 40.) I really don't feel like taking the trans out again.. Getting it out is easy enough but it took me about 3 hours just to get it to line up and slide in place.

I got my flywheel surfaced which I was hoping would fix my first gear shudder but it's just a little better now. Oh well.

Also drilled and tapped my manifold for m10 studs, no more leak.

I also put in a little pusher fan to help the AC while parked. It's just wired to the high side of the main relay. I went with the 10" so I can put a second one in if I want to.

Last edited by Cwazywazy; 07-14-2019 at 01:12 AM..
Old 07-14-2019, 01:56 AM   #464
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Old 07-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #465
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

I went back to the track today. Did a lot better than last time. Managed to get through every session without completely losing the brakes. Didn't run as hot as last time either, though it was a cooler day so that doesn't really say if my new rinky dink pusher fan helps or not. Biggest problem was the transmission. I ran the whole track in third except for fourth on the main straight. Towards the end the shifting from 4th to 3rd was starting to feel.. not good. Second is usable for normal driving but WOT makes the shifter bind up really hard in that gear. And then the turbo fell off, because of course it did.

I passed a new Mustang tho. And then I got passed by a Cobalt.

I put in a new glovebox and redid the intake again. Someone, I suspect the same person who did the bondo job, stripped every glovebox screw so I tapped them all for M5 and used bolts instead. Interior is almost mint, just need to tuck the ECUs away somewhere, get a not ugly radio, and do something about the duct taped rip on the driver's door panel.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #466
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

My buddy said he said hi to you at Palmer today. Blonde guy in the grey M2 comp.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:07 AM   #467
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
My buddy said he said hi to you at Palmer today. Blonde guy in the grey M2 comp.
Oh yeah, I think he was telling me about your car. When you gonna take that thing on a track?
Old 07-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #468
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, I think he was telling me about your car. When you gonna take that thing on a track?
gonna try to get it out on Lime Rock before the year is out!
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #469
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

I dynoed it again. Over 2 years ago, when the wagon was basically as it was when I got it, my engine laid 175whp/235ftlb. Today it laid 218whp.. No torque figure. Not what I was expecting since it's actually running really good now. Apparently someone else made an extra 35hp on a different Dynojet previously. 15psi, 10* base timing, about 12:1 AFR at WOT.

I also did the head gasket since it started drinking coolant a tiny bit after the wastegate seized up and I accidentally did a few 20+psi rips.

I made these locking tabs in an effort to keep my turbo on.

I swapped out the trans again.. Put in the M46 gearbox from my first car, all cleaned and resealed, with the OD from the Craigslist trans with a fresh new Sachs clutch kit. It shifts super nice now. Ordered some OEM shifter parts to get rid of the slop. Problem is.. overdrive stopped working.. Pretty sure it's the solenoid.

When I was messing with the gearbox the front synchro dogs and ring fell out. Took me like an hour to figure out how it went back together.

Here's the drain plug from that CL trans. I put like 300mi on it. I took the top cover off and the shift selector rod thingy was scored to hell. First gear had some wear and synchros were not looking terribly happy.

In an effort to stop pissing oil everywhere I plastic welded the seam on my el cheapo breather box and made a catch can.

I also put in a cold air intake, in the form of an old GM dash AC tube thingy.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #470
Sjeng
Board Member

220 at the wheels is very good for 15psi and your modlist.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #471
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
220 at the wheels is very good for 15psi and your modlist.
True, but it's not enough. It's never enough.

The thing is actually running super good now, I think better than it ever has. I can't wait to get back on the track and use all the gears.

Today I swapped out the OD solenoid using a couple new O rings out of my box of AC seals so the trans is now fully working. I insulated the shifter and put the boot back in.

I also fixed my RR mudflap so it perfectly matches the other one, as well as install the front ones.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #472
DD Ranch
Board Member

Quote:
I see what you did there.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #473
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Old 08-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #474
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

oops

Old 08-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #475
Sjeng
Board Member

220 wheel hp with stock tractor gearbox it was an accident waiting to happen.

Time for a real gearbox and 20 pounds of boost.

What are your suspension mods at this point? Looks like you still have a lot of body roll.

Cool pics.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote