• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Megasquirt install --- No start

icdpride

I just finished wiring my megasquirt in my 1986 Volvo 244dl but I cannot get it to start, I can get it to crank it is getting fuel to the rain but I can't hear the injectors fire and I cannot get the main ignition wire coming out of the coil going to the distributor read any voltage higher then 10 volts anyone have any clue?

Thanks

Did you calibrate the TPS in TunerStudio?

I hadn't done that and my RAW value for flood clear (where it cuts the injectors to clear a flood) was too low. Once I raised it to a reasonable value, after checking the range the TPS operated within, it fired right up.

I wasted almost a week on that. Felt kinda stupid...

First, check for a tach signal. Connect a lap top with Tuner Studio to the MS and watch the tach display. When you crank the engine is the display showing the cranking RPM. If the tach display does not show the engine cranking there is no tach signal and nothing is going to happen.

Which version of MS are you running, are you doing fuel only or fuel and spark and what type of arrangement do you have for picking up the tach signal?

Q. Did you wire in a pullup resistor to the Hall sensor feed? What input did you connect it to?

A. No I did not, I did not know I needed too.

Q. Did you calibrate the TPS in TunerStudio?

A. Nope didn't even think to do that, but I will now

Q. Have you had a look at the composite logger?

A. Yes I have and there is not rpm so it think that is the issue.. but I am not sure why

Q. Which version of MS are you running, are you doing fuel only or fuel and spark and what type of arrangement do you have for picking up the tach signal?

A. Running Ms 3, Doing both spark and fuel, and I am pulling it from the distributor

Sorry if any of this seems stupid just figuring it out as I go

Not sure what kinds of harness goes into a megasquirt but I know on my Microsquirt I only used 1 wire of the opto in connected to the Hall sensor output with a pullup resistor wired in., the shield from the Hall went to sensor ground and I think I ended up using the 5v sensor power wire to power it up and grounding the Hall sensor in the engine compartment.

Last edited:
Pins 1,2 & 24 - it sounds like you are retaining the distributor and using the MS to trigger the ignition coil for ignition timing? Did you add the Tsel in and out jumpers for the tach signal? Which tach circuit are you using?

My memory about the B230 from the eighties (distributor on the back of the head?) is that the stock tach sensor is a hall sensor. If you are using the tach circuit set up the way the manual describes, the MS will be looking for a tach signal that switches between 0 (actually more like 1 volt) and 5 volts. However, I don't know whether the sensor is an open collector sensor or whether it has an internal pull up resistor. Somebody on this forum who has direct experience with that sensor may be able to advise. Go to section 5.2.3 on this link for an explanation of the internal pull-up versus external pull up (open collector) sensor type:

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

If the OEM sensor is an open collector sensor, then you will have to add a pull-up resistor to 5 volts to generate the required 0-5 volt tach switching signal.

You stated:

"cannot get the main ignition wire coming out of the coil going to the distributor read any voltage higher then 10 volts"

If you are doing ignition timing control, the wire from the coil negative should be going back to the MS pin 36 to be switched by the MS. Is 10 volts the voltage on the sensor output from the Hall sensor which goes to pin 24 or is it the voltage on the coil negative which goes to pin 36?

Back