• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Fuel leak on turn

I have same egg shaped filler tube, can't really do anything about it. However, I have brand new cap with new gasket, no smell on turn anymore.

FORGOT TO MENTION. I had replaced at the same time fuel return hose. It was cracked near gastank.
After that and new cap with seal it stopped smelling like a fire hazard.

Start with that cheap and easiest option. Next would be sourcing filler tube. The small line you fixed/replaced is for overfilling protection.

Last edited:
IMG_8088-M.jpg

:nod:

I hate it when the Oregon gas monkeys slam the nozzle in there.

:grrr:

Here in Cali an ogged out filler tube will fail smog because the cap won't seal right.

eee that one's pretty stretched. Some you can straighten, some are really badly stretched/deformed & oblong and the metal is too stretched to straighten by pinching. Have fun digging that out of the average Orie-gone gas station attendant JY 250-300K mile hoopt...

It's not too miserable, but it's in violation of 3 of my repair rules, and thus I'd avoid it like the plague;
1. Under the car.
2. Dirty.
3.Lots of a toxic liquid (coolant or gas) to potentially spill.
4. Heavy lifting/heavy work/actual effort/potential for injury or whatever physical malaise may be possible or probable.

Removal of the entire tank isn't required, but a TON of dirt sits on top of the tank from years of road use that will want to go everywhere as you try to disturb the band clamp, and you don't want dirt on the o-ring/in the tank when you replace it as petiww says.

But you took the greazy nasty mess of the engine (fluids, filth n' all) out and then did the heater fan second, this should be just the thing!

Try a better cap off an 850 or something first (easy), but if it's spilling out on turns, you probably need a new filler tube. Also check the evap hose on top of the filler tube just in case it's rotten or something (won't cause the exterior spill, but will cause a leak in the car).

Early cars and diesels don't have the problem so badly (steel on early cars), diesel doesn't have the narrow spout and the nozzles on diesel pumps aren't as thin and brutal. Diesel has no provisions for the evap system either though heh.

Last edited:
Steel, eh? Interesting. Is mine aluminum? Things are becoming clearer now.

The Channel Lock work I did on the filler and the replacement O-ring on the cap have improved things. But, as the hooptie approaches Corvette-like cornering speeds, even that may reach it's limit. Took some patience to find a serviceable flappy thing. 240 restoration isn't for the faint at heart...

Yeah, so. I hot wheeled around "Dead Man's Corner" today. And got a whiff of high-octane unleaded for my efforts. Stupid car. I need to find one of those steel tubes like Jim suggested. At least the new flappy thing kept the gas out of the interior. #CrushThemAll

So gentle caressing with a crescent didn't cure it completely? Bummer. Time to get a new deal and cap until we can drop your tank and replace your filler

First time to Florida. Loved it. More trees than I expected. Got to stay for three weeks. Irma was less severe than expected, so that was nice. Got to catch up with a fellow "Bricker" while I was there. Only thing I was bummed about was not seeing an alligator.

Yeah, Floridia is interesting. On my first trip down there a Sandhill Crane almost hit his feet on our heads of the convertible we were driving as the crane was flying about 12 ft high over the road, crazy. :omg:

I know where there are some Gators :oogle:

Ha!

Wish I would have had time to check the fort at St Augustine. I did cruise Daytona and rolled by the speedway. Just imaging the sloshing fuel leak my 245 would have on those banked corners with my foot to the wood... LOL. I would like to see their museum.

Back