• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Should I trust a starter from Amazon?

Spend the extra 30-40 and get a bosch reman for a 740. the 740 starters bolt right up, crank faster and are lighter.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-starter-motor-244-245-240-740-760-780-940-sr437x

That one on Amazon says it's new. Who knows who made it.

Never for a DD. Big starter all the way. Who cares about 7lbs...big starter works better with a marginal battery and last a ton longer.

You can use the Amazon starter for B18 and newer engines, though it uses SAE bolts to attach it in the Amazon.. You will need the nuts for the bolts which I believe are the same length either way (I'm fairly sure, but I'm not completely certain.) since starters before ~1984 use nuts instead of a threaded starter casing for the starter/bellhousing bolts.

Solenoid contacts do go bad, can be fixed up sometimes, though I never bother doing anything with the '89 and up starters except using them for cores.

Don't care about going fast though, not in a hurry to get stranded trying to save 7lbs and install an inferior part.

edit...you mean amazon the website...just get someone to send you a known good '84 and earlier starter for st00pid cheap here. It will go in a padded flat rate envelope I suspect (6 bux) or regional rate box (~10 bux Continental U.S.A.) and for sure a medium flat rate box (12 bux)

Most all of the small starters I've seen people install are total crap for the reman or rebuilt ones. The only small starter that worked worth a crap was the one german made one Ive ever seen (most are brazilian made junk) was the one with the volvo tag from the late 90s on it in Mom's old 90 744Ti, for which the anal brain surgeon that bought the car new paid a pretty penny.

Anymore, raid NOS parts for NOS solenoids and solenoid contacts and usable commutators for early ones as well as brushes from random old 80s Volvo/Benz/VAG for parts. Bearings from whatever bearing house you like. I just fix used big starters that are usable and one can keep going on 30+ years of painless use as long as the car is cared for.

Last edited:
Back