• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 1989 245 (290,000 miles!) high pitch whistle

intothelabyrinth

I just started getting a high pitch whistle like sound in the wagon. It comes on at about 40mph and increases in pitch up to highway speeds. If I let it coast in neutral it does not go away, but the pitch does go down in frequency as the car slows down. Touching the brakes doesn't change the sound, other than the decrease in frequency as the car slows down. It sounds just like a jet engine to me spooling up and down... By coasting in neutral I think I have determined it is not an engine sound. It must be a wheel bearing, center support bearing, or maybe the windshield trim? Anybody have an idea of how to narrow it down from there?

I think I will put a piece of tape on the center of the windshield trim, because it is loose a little there, and see if that changes the symptoms. Other than that, is there anyway to prove that it is either the wheel bearing, or center support bearing?

I'm just sorta throwing this out to see if anyone has a troubleshooting procedure when it comes to wheel bearing/center support bearing noises, or if I am way off base with my current train of thought...

try greasing up the carrier bearing. if the noise stops or changes you know that's the issue

Had a whistle like that in 240 out ended up being the left mirror where the two half's joined together I put electrical tap on it

I have a whole diveshaft with recently serviced bearing, center carrier and all that I could swap over. Would a shaft from an 86 245 fit into the 89 245, both automatic transmission, or is there a difference?

Yep. I don't see why not.

I think my 86 744 also has a bad center bearing. It's pretty noisy. It did time in a field so it may have been damaged.

I have to figure out the sound, it is annoying as hell! I hope it isn't the diff, I just recently changed the fluid it it, and it wasn't low, that dirty, or anything that would make me suspect it was wearing out. While listening to it this morning I thought I perceived the sound coming from the rear, but you know how that goes, it is hard to tell. I jammed a folded up piece of paper under the middle of windshield trim, and at first I thought that stopped the sound, but it came back, although maybe lower in pitch. I'm going to tape it up and drive around, I'm thinking that really could be the issue. I will also jack up the rear, put on jack stands, and run it to see if the sound is still there. If so it is drive line related, if not it is either the wind hitting my kinda loose windshield trim, or a front wheel bearing. How annoying!

Have somebody else drive the car and you stick your head out this window. Or stand next to it while another drives. I do this when I can't tell whether it's the front or the rear brakes squealing.

Noises usually don't show up in the air. They need the weight and load. Usually. Such as wheel bearings.

Rear differential will whine if backlash is too much. Need a dial indicator and magnetic base to check it.

It just stopped. I didn't do anything. It must have been a rock between the dust shield and the rotor, or some bull**** like that. I'll reply here if it comes back. I now remember that I was doing some spirited driving and drifting on a long gravel rd the day the sound started...

Still hasn't came back. I flushed the tranny fluid real good. It wasn't even that bad... The trans never misses a beat, and the kickdown cable must be the best adjusted one I've ever had, because it will kick down when climbing a hill effortlessly.

Back