• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Small Volvo clock repair

coalminer

I've got a small Volvo clock that I'm trying to repair to put into my 92 Model 240.
I'm going to replace the big, factory clock with a Tachometer out of a 85 Model 245, and install the small clock in the dash.

The problem...or rather the question is.......

How is the clock grounded?

If my suspicion is correct, there is supposed to be a small copper pin that travels through the back of the metal clock enclosure and grounds (by solder connection) the clock housing through a ground wire that is plugged onto the exterior of the housing.

My problem is that this pin has apparently broken off while still connected to the housing.
Where does this pin solder into the circuitry of the clock????

There is a place where there is a small projection of copper pin sticking out of the solder joint in the clock circuitry.
Is this the place??
It looks like it lines up, but I'm still not positive.

If this is not enough info., I will make a picture.

thanks

I don't have the small clock, but if you can open it up and show me the circuit board (or if there isn't a board, the internals) I can probably find a ground point for you to clip on or solder to.

(edit)

I found what appears to be the answer in the '85 service manual, unless this is the part that you think is snapped off. If I get a picture of the inside I'll try to find a ground for you.
OLQ5mVF.jpg

Last edited:
If you have the harness, it's just plug n play. No extra parts or wires needed, just plug into the instrument cluster.

IIRC that pin soldered into the brass fitting is the ground. I remember I had to take my clock apart about 15 years ago to replace a couple capacitors that had failed. It would work ok when hot but stop at night when it got cold out.

I did that repair, and it worked fine for about 3 months. Now it looses a few hours of time per day. I've given up and it's just a dash ornament now.

I replaced the capacitor in my small clock and it kept rock solid time for the years I had the car. Opening the can was the hard part. Go back and resolder/replace.

?? Pictures to come

This photo shows the broken pin that I'm talking about where it exits the clock case.
It was un-attached inside the clock.
http://imgur.com/MjLuIao

This photo shows where ...I believe...the pin broke off it's original location.
http://imgur.com/FXwviyf

This photo shows the pin after I have replaced it and soldered it back to...what appears to me..to be the proper spot.
I did this after my first post.
http://imgur.com/HJ47Lud

This photo shows The internal clock circuitry shown side by side with the clock case.....correctly clocked:roll:... Pun intended .
The black dot on the lower right of the picture... on printed circuit ...shows the location of the replaced pin.
http://imgur.com/dZkyxRd

This simply shows the front of the clock.
I'm just wondering if there was a adjustment knob on this clock (center face) , or do you use a small screwdriver to adjust the time???
http://imgur.com/pZb2KSL

I don't know how to get the photos to show in the post.
I can only give the links...sorry

Last edited:
You're missing the adjustment knob. Sounds like someone sold you a terrible clock.

Actually I took this clock from a 85 model 245 that I own as a parts car.

I never drove this car (transmission down), but I still have it for parts.
I realized that someone had worked on the clock before because the bezel was bent where they separated the clock from the case.
This was probably when the ground wire was broken.

It may be a piece of junk, but it's mine, and I at least want to see if I can get it running.

I've got the mounting trim and the cover trim, plus the harness.

I removed the capacitors (per cleanflametrap) and will replace as soon as I find some that are correct.

Unfortunately, Radio Shack has gone out of business in this area, so I will probably have to order some from Flea Bay.

There is a place on the solder tracing where it looks like someone has removed something.
Any ideas??

Thanks for the response

My apologies. Didn't realize this was off your own parts car.

Digikey and adafruit are somewhat more expensive than ebay but will get you exactly what you order, with faster service. It's either ebay or online stores like that for electronics hobbyists these days.

There are a lot of crap parts on ebay, if you want good quality capacitors that will last, order them from Digikey or Mouser. I like the Japanese brands, Panasonic, Nichicon and Rubycon are all good ones. Look for automotive temperature range, the cheaper 85C stuff won't last as long. If a repaired clock only ran a few months it's probably because cheap crappy capacitors were installed. Good ones are still only about a buck each so don't skimp.

Well, I got the small clock repaired.

A couple of new capacitors (thanks for the info cleanflametrap) and re-attaching the ground between the circuit board and the clock's metal case and the deal was done.

I hooked it up to a small 12VDC power supply (phone charger) and placed it inside the freezer that I have in my shop.

2 hrs later, and it's still keeping time.

Now I can install my Tach to replace the big clock that I have now, and install this clock in the dash.

Pictures when finished.

If anyone is curious, I used....
NICHICON 100mfd, 35V, 105C RADIAL lead Electrolytic Capacitors.
Bought 5 from Fleabay for $3.40 delivered.

Last edited:
Back