• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Where to get front turn signal plastic covers only!

vulvalover

Help!

I've got a 1987 Volvo 740 wagon that's missing its plastic covers for the front left turn signal, and both side covers for the front left and right running lights.

IOW: this one -
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/1342328.htm?pn=1342328-M120&SVSVSI=2753
Part #: 1342328-M120

*and this one - (both sides, only linking to one)
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/34430195.htm?pn=34430195-INT&SVSVSI=2753
Part #: 34430195-INT

*pretty sure this is the correct part. It's the covers right next to the head lamps on the very corner of the wagon

I checked out IPDUSA.com and they gave me a reasonable price for replacing the whole assembly. approx. $23 per part, and I need 3 as I have one oem turn signal cover left, so that puts me at about $70 to have replacements sent and all my turn signals looking oem-like again.

But here is my issue - I only need the plastic lens covers. I almost have everything already. I don't need bulbs, I don't need housings, screws, etc the only thing missing are 3 lens covers. Somehow - either the adhesive wore out, or something else - but somehow the plastic parts of the lenses have vanished and that is all I am looking to replace.

Also I am a broke bum. And this is sadly no longer the year 1987. If you do the calculations on plastic, it's pennies on the dollar. I suppose it always has been but now there are 3d printers and such. I don't really want to spend $70 to have legit looking turn signals, and I don't want to cover the turn signals/front brake lamps with ghetto looking amber tape. Is there a source that can just sell me the plastic covers, aftermarket or otherwise? I checked http://www.lampsandlenses.com/ and got a empty domain name page. I checked a few sources out on the ultimate parts thread but so far no one that I have looked at can replace just the plastic. The guy at ipdusa.com said I should goto a junk yard to replace mine but that would just make me feel guilty ruining a oem turn signal housing over some cheap plastic.

These manufacturers are using someone or some companies plastic mold to fit over their replacement turn signal parts. I just want the plastic covers - why doesn't anybody sell just these? I feel that they should be available. Does anyone have a source or know where to get these from?

Help!

I've got a 1987 Volvo 740 wagon that's missing its plastic covers for the front left turn signal, and both side covers for the front left and right running lights.

IOW: this one -
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/1342328.htm?pn=1342328-M120&SVSVSI=2753
Part #: 1342328-M120

*and this one - (both sides, only linking to one)
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/34430195.htm?pn=34430195-INT&SVSVSI=2753
Part #: 34430195-INT

*pretty sure this is the correct part. It's the covers right next to the head lamps on the very corner of the wagon

I checked out IPDUSA.com and they gave me a reasonable price for replacing the whole assembly. approx. $23 per part, and I need 3 as I have one oem turn signal cover left, so that puts me at about $70 to have replacements sent and all my turn signals looking oem-like again.

But here is my issue - I only need the plastic lens covers. I almost have everything already. I don't need bulbs, I don't need housings, screws, etc the only thing missing are 3 lens covers. Somehow - either the adhesive wore out, or something else - but somehow the plastic parts of the lenses have vanished and that is all I am looking to replace.

Also I am a broke bum. And this is sadly no longer the year 1987. If you do the calculations on plastic, it's pennies on the dollar. I suppose it always has been but now there are 3d printers and such. I don't really want to spend $70 to have legit looking turn signals, and I don't want to cover the turn signals/front brake lamps with ghetto looking amber tape. Is there a source that can just sell me the plastic covers, aftermarket or otherwise? I checked http://www.lampsandlenses.com/ and got a empty domain name page. I checked a few sources out on the ultimate parts thread but so far no one that I have looked at can replace just the plastic. The guy at ipdusa.com said I should goto a junk yard to replace mine but that would just make me feel guilty ruining a oem turn signal housing over some cheap plastic.

These manufacturers are using someone or some companies plastic mold to fit over their replacement turn signal parts. I just want the plastic covers - why doesn't anybody sell just these? I feel that they should be available. Does anyone have a source or know where to get these from?

Do you at least wait for you mom to leave the house before you rub one out?

Op what you can do is get a box ?99 ziploc bags. Take the light housing assembly off. Triple bag it. Reinstall with wrinkles etc. get hair dryer and start heating the bags up. Within about 10 min they will look as good as what Volvo pushed out of the factory.

Lasts about 1-2 years with 3 bags. I heard of going 6 but I was never successful with that many. Don’t listen to these fools they all drive the lovable 240s. 7/900 is where it’s at. Are your taillights busted also ? Or cracked windshield? There’s cheap solutions to all problems 7/900 have. You have come to the right place. Welcome
Please post pictures

Jack

For that genuine OE look....

Typical used condition for TB ?heap.

picture.php

picture.php

$14.99 each.

Last edited:
740 lense material is available by the roll from wall-greens under the brand name (flex-tape clear) for 19.99 for a 100 foot roll. it's enough for several cars so you can split the cost down to just a few dollars per car!! This also fits 940

say good bye to another newbie.

I'm sorry your right i should have suggested Amber bulbs with the clear tape ....... but then we're over the 14.99 price point again. lol I'm all for saving a buck but geeze 70 bucks? it costs half that for a decent oil change

Do you at least wait for you mom to leave the house before you rub one out?

I'll be rubbing my Volvo. It's 1987 and they had heated seats. The first time I saw that was a Maxima 97. Except for the mpg, these kick ass...

You tell em nel621!

OP may I ask what you didn't pay for the car?

? Especially when they're free :cool:

Op what you can do is get a box ?99 ziploc bags. Take the light housing assembly off. Triple bag it. Reinstall with wrinkles etc. get hair dryer and start heating the bags up. Within about 10 min they will look as good as what Volvo pushed out of the factory.

This is now my backup plan, thanks :nod:

740 lense material is available by the roll from wall-greens under the brand name (flex-tape clear) for 19.99 for a 100 foot roll. it's enough for several cars so you can split the cost down to just a few dollars per car!! This also fits 940

You mean...
900.jpg

This is my other backup plan, although in serious competition with the Ziploc approach. If it will make it legal to drive at night...

There?s cheap solutions to all problems 7/900 have. You have come to the right place. Welcome
Please post pictures

Jack

Will do but more busy trying to fix car first :)

lmao welcome to turbo bricks, I've had the same problem you had, i was never able to source lenses separate, at least the type that were bonded to the backs

Back