• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Groove Results - Tried & tested

It looks like you scratched up the area around the fire ring on 3 cyl there...did you re-surface after that? If not, I hope your HG holds...
On an economy note, my '95 940T with autotragic averaged 30miles/uk gallon on our 2500km road trip this summer. No grooves. Sounds like some of you need to do some tuning, or improve your driving habits if you want to break into the low 30s!

Those are only surface scratses, you can't feel them.

It's very easy to say i'm a better driver because i'm running 30 mpg on my vacaition trip.

It really dosen't matter.

We have different roads, traffic, and driving habbits.

If i can get 3 more miles to the gallon with My driving style, roads ect.
Just because of the groves i'm happy.

BR

Morten

Sounds like some of you need to do some tuning, or improve your driving habits if you want to break into the low 30s!
Nah, your car just has problems... :-P

If I can get a hold of a b20 head for cheap I'll probably toy with it with some grooves and very basic porting.

Those are only surface scratses, you can't feel them.
Morten
Hi Morten,
When handling cylinder heads during porting and combustion chamber modifications it's common to get small scratches. I lightly clean the head by hand with mineral spirits and a fine scotch bright pad. Carbon washes away and surface imperfections are easily found.

Josh%20Dart.jpg

Understanding Tickover (for US readers)

Probably a british English vs what the rest of us speak issue ;-), but what do you mean buy ?tickover? or ?get the tickover down??

tickover=idle speed.

the lower the number for brit "piss" = lower number US. Piss

Obviously a full explaination of what Tickover is for those who donk speak and understand english, and the americans out there .... :)

What is tickover ?

Tick can be divided into 2 parts - "tick" and "over".

The Tick referrs to the 'tick' sound of the cars engine, generally when idling.
Some car owners, who have diesels engines may hear a "klonk" sound.
Hovever some protective owners may get irrate i you refer to their engine "Klocking" rather than "ticking". One Tick is usually determined at one tick to one revolution of the cars engine

Over refers to "over time" and the scientiically accepted model of time is 1 minute, in regards to the application of ticks.

The clever part ...
Put them together and you get "tickover" thus 1 tick per revolution per munute.

This is equal to idle speed in Revolutions Per Minute. Thus "tickover" accurately describes the cars idle state - RPM.

Elaborating on suterman's excellent scientific equation by using capitals and an extra space or two:
TICKOVER = IDLE SPEED

For diesel owners, the tickover could be described as "klonkover". However scientiic study has shown that there is often more than one klonk on diesel engines, and in some cases more clonks than the engines cylinders.

Thus this equation was formulated for "klonkover":

TICKOVER = IDLE SPEED = (KLONKOVER -X ) / n
where X = number of extra klonks the diesel engine makes in 1 munute
n= number of cylinders

The trouble was with this is that X could, and would vary significantly from car to car, and would vary in different engines, even of the same design. Factors contributed to this was the age, and milage of the vehicle, and the general noises of diesel engines.

Hence the Klonkover theory and calculation was dropped, and they decided to stick with "tickover" here in the UK.

Hope this helps. :)

On an economy note, my '95 940T with autotragic averaged 30miles/uk gallon on our 2500km road trip this summer. No grooves. Sounds like some of you need to do some tuning, or improve your driving habits if you want to break into the low 30s!

Well all I can say is my car was running very well pre grove - but thats why I didnt see a massive improvement, although there was/is an improvement, albeit small but noticable.
However if going from 28-30 MPG (only 2 MPG as an exampe) is still a 7% improvement.
Also many groovers have much more marked improvements, particulary petrol (gas) guzzling engines, or example Drag engines, and I dont mean engines with a dress and some makeup on .. :)

Sound like you have a nice running car either way though ... a great test car for grooving! :-P

What is tickover ?

Tick can be divided into 2 parts - "tick" and "over".

The Tick referrs to the 'tick' sound of the cars engine, generally when idling.
Some car owners, who have diesels engines may hear a "klonk" sound.
Hovever some protective owners may get irrate i you refer to their engine "Klocking" rather than "ticking". One Tick is usually determined at one tick to one revolution of the cars engine

Over refers to "over time" and the scientiically accepted model of time is 1 minute, in regards to the application of ticks.

The clever part ...
Put them together and you get "tickover" thus 1 tick per revolution per munute.

This is equal to idle speed in Revolutions Per Minute. Thus "tickover" accurately describes the cars idle state - RPM.

Thanks for the excellent explanation, I had no idea. High compression grooved SBC engines with a long duration camshaft and a tight lobe separation produces a sort of crackle. Perhaps a new word is in the making! ?crackleover?

Thanks for the excellent explanation, I had no idea. High compression grooved SBC engines with a long duration camshaft and a tight lobe separation produces a sort of crackle. Perhaps a new word is in the making! “crackleover”

Over here "Crackleover" refers to the number of crackles /pops emitted from Rice Krispies and Coco Pops cereal per minute after adding milk. The rate usually decreases over time, and can vary with the type of milk. Fully skimmed milk tends to produce a greater initial rate of crackles, but decreases more quickly. Full Fat milk has a slightly slower initial rate, but the crackle rate decreases less quickly. Semi- Skimmed is somewhere in between. All however produce the same number of crackles at "combustion completion". The slight varing effects of differing milks are due to the milk absorption into the cereal, releasing the pop sound, which have been cleverly and individually inserted during the manuacturing process of the cereals.

lol :rofl:

xwave, you are too funny, any experience with additives?

Me or the car? LOL.

The only additives I have used is petrol wise shortly after buying the car - Injector cleaner - and thats about it.

Oil wise wouldnt put anything in the oil. Adding Stuff in oil is generally bad, particulary long term, as Im sure youll know.

Why do you ask?

Me or the car? LOL.

The only additives I have used is petrol wise shortly after buying the car - Injector cleaner - and thats about it.

Oil wise wouldnt put anything in the oil. Adding Stuff in oil is generally bad, particulary long term, as Im sure youll know.

Why do you ask?

Actually I was referring to Heresy?s syrup.

On a serious note, oil is all I need in the crankcase. I?m not saying there?s no benefit to additives, the fact is oil is some amassing stuff!

I have tried acetone in the fuel, 3oz to ten gallons. There?s something there but it?s a pain to add the stuff at every fill up.

After doing some research, Acetone and Toulene is a complete different topic/thread. EDIT: Some spell as "toulene" others "toluene"

Briefly as I understand Both , on face level, are Octane boosters which have been known to have benefits where octane is needed to be raised to avoid pinging/detonation.

Also from research, toulene is already added / part of petroleum (gasoline) anyhow, and in greater volume in Super unleaded.

The benefits or otherwise (dependant on car and application) is not related to grooves.
The only similarity is that grooves seem to help prevent pinging /detonation, and thus on this level groove efects are equivalent to raising the octane, or/and enables use of lower octane fuel before detonation.

Ive taken this thread off topic, and now trying to attempt to get back on!
:-P

Last edited:
Ive taken this thread off topic, and now trying to attempt to get back on!:-P

And I helped, and it has been fun!

Just a quick note from the drag strip. Most know I'm involved with numerous high compression SBC engines. The locals love what the grooves do to their race engines.

With the grooves Fabian has lowered the idle of his high compression N/A 383 from 1100 RPM to 500 RPM. The oil runs clean, burns less fuel and the engine is much more responsive. Every one wants to know, how much power did the grooves provide, I can honestly say I don't know. We combined several modifications for maximum preformance. His stock body 67 Camaro is running 10.10 ET in 90 degree weather, expecting 9.80s when the cool air arrives. That's near a half a second quicker than before the modifications, needless to say, Fabian loves his grooved 383.

After 2 weeks of driving with the groves.
This is my results.
I'm able to use the same boost pressure on regular, as i had with premium petrol before.
220 kpa with the same timing.

Fuel consumption.
Before 28 Mpg Imp. Best.
After 32 Mpg Imp and i'm still tuning.

AFR before at cruise 16-1
After at cruise 17.5-1 and nothing strange drivability problems.
I'm going to try 18-1 next week if i can burn it.

So far i'm Happy.

AB the scrathes wasn't a problem, and i didnt consider them a problem.
But somtimes a photo dosen't tell the truth.

BR

Morten

very very nice, well done

I think im going to try the groove setup you used.

What tools and how deep/long did you make yours?

Going to re-do the headgasket in the near future, so I want to try some grooooooves while im at it (and maybe a mild polish of the ports)

Back