• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Possible new intercooler option

Mach375

Bored Member
Socalsean stopped by today and picked up the "HD" intercooler (as I like to call it). We test-fitted it in his ('92?) 244NAti. Fits like a wet dream. It fits significantly better than the NPR.
Here's the skinny on 2-series fitment: it seems as if it were built to fit the Volvo heat exchanger width perfectly. The width is exactly the width of the stock opening where the stock IC goes; fills up the opening much more fully than the NPR. As for depth, it is just barely a tight squeeze, being slightly thinner than the NPR and thereby being easier to squeeze in without much effort (the NPR takes some effort). It is, however, slightly shorter than the NPR, but this can be compensated for with a length of board or bar stock aluminum or -???- under it for it to sit on.
As for outlet placement, he has the '92-style power steering reservoir mounted on the driver's side, rather than the alternator. The only problem I see is the high-pressure PS hose getting in the way due to too much clearance between it and the fluid reservoir (there is, stock, about 2"--the PS pipe interference with the IC pipe is only about 1"-1.5"). This can be solved with either having a new hose made up, shortening the existing hose, or relocating the PS and alternator to the 700 style (remote-mount PS pump and drivers-mount alt). Otherwise, the IC outletis lined up perfectly with the TB inlet, and even better then stock b/c it is lower and dead in line with the TB (stock exits higher than the TB, and needs a double-90 to bring it down and in). The only additional work that needs to be done is to replace the stock post-IC hard pipe with a section of straight pipe. One could use the stock pipe and cut it after the straight section, just before the first bend, but you will need a longer section of rubber hose than the stock piece. Either way, exceedingly easy!
The inlet is a perfect mate to the stock turbo outlet, only needing the rubber S-hose to be twisted at the 90* turbo pipe clamp.
I can say with absolute certainty that the "HD" IC is a perfect drop-in fit for the 200. Past that is speculation.

We have yet to report back on performance numbers, since we were just test-fitting it and not actually hooking it up. Sean should be able to install it soon and report back with some facts in about a week. Stay tuned!

----> Please note that when I refer to anything having to do with fitment of this IC, I am referring to Sean's ('92?) 244NAti. When I'm referring to fitment of the NPR, I'm referring to my personal 700. I understand the NPR fits differently in the 200 than the 700, with a need to angle it a bit in the 200?
Once Sean has tested it out, and if he decides to keep it, I will pick up another for anyone wanting to be the guinea pig for the 700s. Volunteers?

Oh, and since I'm sure you're all hopping up and down to know what this will be going for, we're likely looking at the same price as I was originally doing with the NPR: $155 plus shipping (about $18). That is pending the final deal I make with my supplier (he has about a dozen in stock right now).

I got it in :))

-drops right in. NO cutting of the car, AT ALL.
-I used the stock upper and lower mounts.
-Hot side lines up perfect.
-Cold side needs either in intercooler pipe cut or the Volvo cold side pipe cut (I cut the volvo part)

Turbo spools up a few hundred rpm faster, spool up is more linear, and I make more boost earlier.

The intercooler cold side is much cooler than the stocky.

hopefully pics tonight with more of a description on how I mounted it.

sean

P7110018-re.jpg

P7110017-re.jpg

P7110016-re.jpg

P7110015-re.jpg

P7110014-re.jpg

P7110013-re.jpg

Thanks alot to 18yr240t for helping us out by letting us hang out at his place :)

Last edited:
wow..........that looks awesome! I'm going to get one really soon! Oh wait.....that's my car with the intercooler in it. Damn beers....doh!

I used some random bushings to raise the intercooler uo off the lower radiator support and some other random swaybar bushings to keep the intercooler snug on top.

The passenger side upper mount is further back due to the intercooler endtank (it's wider than the core) making contact with the radiator. Not an issue with some custom mounts or to get by like me you can just drill a hole in in the stock mount and allow the intercooler to be offset a bit. Hey now........I'm testing this set-up out. Holla back with some input!

sean

Last edited:
Looks like it would be a great fit behind the grill with some small triming for the inlet and outlet pipes. Nice find Great price.

HAHAHAHAHA I work for Nissan UD Trucks (Import Logistics Manager), I would say buy em new but the cost new from Japan is to damn expensive. You can try Tom's Truck Center in Santa Ana CA, call the service department and ask for Vern he might be able to help locate the IC your are looking for (used).

OH and remember most people call then UD Trucks not Nissan.

www.udtrucks.com

If you want part numbers let me know and I will post it, or email at bwagner@nissandiesel.com

So should I go ahead and buy every last one my guy has? Or should I wait, so I don't get stuck with a bunch of ICs everyone wants but noone wants to pay for? That's about a dozen or so.
And for those wondering, until I hear otherwise from my source, we should be looking at $155 flat plus shipping. Same price as the NPR, before my guy got greedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
socalsean's running a 63/60 on a 90+ with 3in exhaust, right?(just a guess at his mods) have you gotten a number on the intake temps?

yup that's my car. I'm running a 60/63 bolted to a ported 90+.

I have not been able to get an instrument for temp testing while the car was moving and not at a stand still. But I can assure you that the temps are significantly lower. If someone in the Los Angelos area has a temp reading tool of some sort let me know. I'd like to perform some tests and swapping these coolersw back and forth only takes about 5 minuntes.

sean

I saw the UDs quite a bit on Ebay...but that one long outlet always put me off(for my car the NPRs like outlets are fine).

Back