• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ipd cam

cman47572

I just bought a 1990 740 turbo and was looking for a little more snap outta the motor.Ipd has a performance cam that they offer.Has anyone tried this cam? I was thinking of purchasing this and would like to know if its woth while.

Hi. Many people have used this cam and it supposedly works well for the average t bricker. It definitely is much better than the stock T cam that is in the car now with more power in the higher rpms. I'd say it's a good buy.

If i were to run this cam i would probably have to run a 3 inch exhaust right? Where would i be able to pick up a 3 inch catalitic converter?

If you'll search, you will find many threads on the IPD cam as well as others. I have the cam in both my turbos. You lose a little off the line compared to the T cam you have now. But worth it as IPD cam pulls to redline. If you want to get back some of the bottem end torque you can buy an adjustable cam timing gear. IPD's I have had some issues with...Dale here on TB at avalancheperformance.com makes a great gear for half the money. Advancing your cam timing 4 degrees or so will give you plenty to play with torque wise from the start.

Citysurf has this cam in his car, it sounds sick....we have not driven the car yet but hope to take it for the first drive this weekend. We will keep you posted...

We are also both in Mass.

the IPD cam is ownage.. you know how it feels like the power falls off when you're on the highway or accelerating 40mph to whatever? the cam fixs that

I just reinstalled mine tonight on a rebuilt head and went for a test drive! First time I have ever installed a cam and had all the valve clearances right on with no adjustments. .018 on all 8 valves first try. I guess the rebuilt head was shimmed perfect for the T cam and needed no adjustment.

It pulls harder up top and goes to redline. The car actually feels like its pulling past 4500 instead of just revving. Worth every dollar. You can always resell it for 75% of what you bought it for too.

I didnt notice any difference in low end. Efan helps low end throttle response. I dont drive like a grandpa either so....

Going to the 1/8th mile dragstrip friday night to see how much faster the car is with 15g, efan conversion, and 92+ IC.

The engine revs much faster and smoother with the IPD cam.

Cam is a great mod that will last basically forever. Just make sure you take it out carefully so it doesnt bind and crack the back end of the cam.

I've got a used one for sale if you're interested. Again, I haven't taken the time to make a listing in "for sale", but it is available. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is because of the b234 I'm putting in.

Sim

hey billerica, i have an appt in lowell. We should arrange a meeting at some pt. for a volvo crash course.

buy an intercooler first, it cost about the same and is easier to install and gets probably more gains than the cam.

the cam is a worthwhile mod, but takes more wrenching.

740Weapon, you need to come see Citysurfs car, come take a listen as well, sounds sick....and thanks for the time you put in figuring out sensors etc. I was not around to help him, was great that you were able to help him out.

buy an intercooler first, it cost about the same and is easier to install and gets probably more gains than the cam.

the cam is a worthwhile mod, but takes more wrenching.

I beg to differ. Depending on the intercooler, it might take some fab work to get it to fit. Moreover, I think the IPD cam will straight up provide you with more gain than a bigger I/C. The bigger IC is still a good idea though, especially if he's planning to turn up the boost.

I beg to differ. Depending on the intercooler, it might take some fab work to get it to fit. Moreover, I think the IPD cam will straight up provide you with more gain than a bigger I/C. The bigger IC is still a good idea though, especially if he's planning to turn up the boost.

the NPR intercooler is DROP IN For his car.

i drag race after most mods, the IC was worth a consistant 3 tenths down the quarter and my ass knew it. the IPD cam, however was not so clearly positive.

I have the cam in my car and it works great for me. I also use IPD's cam gear adjusted to 6 degrees advanced. my car pulls strong off idle to 5500rpm and that fast enough for me on a bottom end bolted together in 1984. In fact @12lbs and my timing at 17advanced I can even run 87octane and get no ping. Except when temps drop below 55F. I do have a downpipe ect, so I'm sure that helps too.

Back