• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C V70R VVT pulleys

Hoggster

I have to change front seals on a '04 V70R with VVT. I have the lock down tools. What is the trick to working with the cam pulleys?

I followed this video for my V70. It only has vvt on the exhaust but it should be the same for the dual vvt.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4uLvH151-c" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The engine I'm working on has vvt pulleys on both cams and neither are spring loaded. I changed the seals and have it back together, I'm not sure its right. I have the cam locks on it and the crank at TDC. The belt is on with the slack on the tensioner side. All the timing marks line up.

I haven't done anything with the three bolts on the face of each pulley. They both look like they are close to maxed though.

For the pulleys, I figured out their range of motion and installed them in the center of it. One gear moves 3 teeth and the other one moves 2. I installed the first one with the timing mark set correctly and can turn it 1.5 teeth advanced or retarded. Same with the second one but its only one tooth each direction because it has less travel.

With the belt on and the cams unlocked, I can turn each cam the same distance, 1 or 1.5 teeth forward or back from the lock position without moving the timing marks or belt.

Is that right or are they supposed to be more in one direction?

With the cams locked the hubs are supposed to be able to turn enough clockwise that they max out lined up with the timing marks.

Do they only adjust one way when it operates?

I think I need to re do it and set them at their clockwise limits with their timing marks lined up, so that they can turn counter clockwise a little with the belt off.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that, just that the correct way to set them up is how that video shows. Make sure the center bolt is tight or else the hub can free spin when you're finding the max position, loosen the bolt to adjust how much you think it needs to move then tighten again and rotate it. Might take a few tries to get it right.

I got it back together, but not water in it yet. I cranked it up and let it run for 20 seconds, let it cool down and did it again. No check engine light, am I in the clear?

How long does it take to detect a cam crank correlation problem?

If it can't time the cams right it'll throw a code almost immediately. If it makes it to fully warmed up you're probably in the clear.

Back