• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

744T w/ M-46: how uncommon?

Mr. V

I purchased an '86 744 Turbo with a M-46 four speed manual transmission with electric overdrive from the widow of its OE and then restored / rebuilt the turbobrick to be a reliable daily driver.

It is my impression that most of these cars came equipped with automatic transmissions, not manuals.

My question: is my car a rare example, i.e. a unicorn, or were there quite a few of these cars comparably equipped with a manual transmission?

Ring tally ho! Looks more like the puke blue/green or is it green/blue like my old 89.

Here is a vid of the one I had. Could be grey also, who knows said the color me blind man.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vyLP59ch2Dc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I've owned more standard transmission cars than automatic cars. An 84 764t, an 89 745t, a 91 744t - all with m46. Even my 95 944t has an m47, but that's not original. Rarer relative to automatics, but not rare.

Common. Wagon M46 turbos are less common than sedan. By 1987, the majority of Volvos sold had either an Aw70, an Aw71, or a ZF 4HP22. So, it wasn't as common as it was in the earlier years.

Manual production was probably split 50/50 M46 vs M47 in 1987, but became more biased toward the M47 in 1988, since the 740GLE also received the M47. In 1989, it tipped a little back toward the M46, due to the GLE becoming the 16 valve model.

Back