• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Post your air ducting setups

iHateVolvoPeople

Wondering if anyone has done any modifications to their cars (240) in order to help increase airflow through the cores at higher speeds. It is important to have the stock belly plan in place as we all know, as well as a good condition cooling system. Yes, ours is good with a new rad.

Having added an intercooler to two otherwise stock 240s, I've noticed they don't like to keep cool on the highway after a few minutes. We are using an electric fan and a temp probe in the radiator core. I do not like the temp probe idea because the highway air 'fools' it into thinking it's cool, and then it gets hot. With the fan constantly on, temps stay fine.

I have personally reverted to an intercooler in front of the condenser and am now using a stock fan clutch and shroud. No problems here but this is not an option at the moment on the other car.

So, any neat ducting work pictures out there? The plan is to make something out of cardboard and then finalize it with some thin sheetmetal.

Here’s one I saw at 100 acre woods rally.

Qo3gs3B_d.jpg

9ohSKga_d.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I read it wrong. Yes upper hose would be good for a temp probe.

I don?t think it really matters as long as you adjust your temp switch accordingly. I?ve done upper and lower hose setups and both are fine.

Where is your temp switch? I didn?t see it in your pic.

Wtf? I towed 240s with my 245 loaded up at 105F+ Ambient for 100+ mile trips with no temp issues ever. NPR plus e fan with Saab T and air to oil cooler

Something is wrong.

Wtf? I towed 240s with my 245 loaded up at 105F+ Ambient for 100+ mile trips with no temp issues ever. NPR plus e fan with Saab T and air to oil cooler

Something is wrong.
Do you have the front air dam and the belly pan in place?

Saab coolant tee is the difference here. Your efan will come on while on the highway whereas the temp probe will not. It would be nice to be able to hold temps without the fan coming on.
:nod:
I'd question whether the 25-year old (+) radiator is flowing properly.
Nope all new

You guys are missing the point. I?m not complaining that my car is overheating, I?m simply wanting to see air ducting setups but i guess those are overrated.

Do you have the front air dam and the belly pan in place?

Saab coolant tee is the difference here. Your efan will come on while on the highway whereas the temp probe will not. It would be nice to be able to hold temps without the fan coming on.

I didn?t have both for a long time with same results maybe even a little cooler. This is on some random plastic/aluminum radiator I found

Idk about it coming on at highway speeds. I never noticed the voltage gauge flick.
Even if it does why do you care that it does ?

There?s other projects you can do if you just want to tinker

^ interesting. And really the fan should not ever have to come on at highway speeds. Highway air should be more powerful than any efan setup out there. Sure it’s not a huge deal for the fan to come on, but it points to a very inefficient setup. And yes I just want to tinker but tinkering leads to learning by trial and error (I’m good at error), oh and it looks good too. Functional aero. It’s actually *extremely* important on some cars that lack airflow and are driven hard. No telling how hard my friend drives his car. I warned him that skinny rod +t with 200k miles might not be the most reliable setup but should be fine for awhile.

I wonder if years of oil caked on make a difference. All my stuff is clean clean clean

On the engine?? I doubt it, his is pretty clean anyway. We pressurewashed everything before the turbo conversion. It had a pretty substantial power steering leak.

For now he hardwired the fan on at highway speeds and it seems to be holding temps just fine. It’s about 90-100F here every day recently, and 70%+ humidity:roll:

Back