• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

RSI's last car...

Tuff240

240 Ninja
Well as most everyone knows, RSI is closing the shop doors and going to an "online only" web store. There were times when RSI was a great little shop and there were times when it wasn't.

Of all the people that have come and gone through RSI Eric and I always had a special chemistry for building pretty cool Volvo's together. His fab skills and my attention to detail complimented each other well and we turned out some pretty cool cars together.

This is the last car that we will work on together, so it's a little bittersweet. And to be honest, Eric has done most of the work on this one with me just hanging around and helping on the "pretty" side of things.

This car is a 1984 242T with 84k miles. The current owner bought it in 1985 with only a few thousand miles on it and has owned it ever since. Always garaged and well kept until he put it away in storage for more than a decade.

After sitting untouched for so long, it was still in excellent cosmetic shape, but everything that moved or had fluid in it was pretty much ruined. So the original plan was to just restore the brake and fuel system to a like new state and warm up the engine a little. He basically wanted a nice weekend cruiser to enjoy and take on local outings and fun trips.

As you can tell by the pics, that soon snow balled into a really nice full on drivetrain build and engine compartment/under carriage paint and detail.
It may not be to everyone's liking or how others would build it, but overall it's pretty nice and there aren't too many cars this clean and this powerful in the USA.

Basic specs run down:
2.3L B230 Squirter Motor
RSI 158mm Rods
RSI 8v Turbo pistons
RSI Stage 2 head
Cometic HG
ARP Studs
RSI Stage 3 cam
RSI Adjustable cam gear
RSI Custom header and complete exhaust
NIW Intake Manifold
BW 7163 EFR Turbo
Ebay intercooler
Custom Aluminum Radiator
Derale Electric Fan and Shroud
Microsquirt EFI
MSD Ignition
PLX Wideband
Autometer boost, oil pressure and voltage gauges
Yoshifab block breather fitting
Remote oil filter and oil cooler
Rotary style A/C
85-90 Style Power steering
Clutchnet Clutch
Hydraulic Clutch
ProMotion Performance Powertrain T5 transmission
True Trac diff
RSI Coil-overs 350F/250R
Bilstein HD's
IPD Pan-hard bar
IPD Torque Rods
IPD SS brake lines
Poly Suspension Bushings throughout
RSI Strut Brace
Yoshifab Firewall to strut tower braces

And of course lots of painting, powder coating and plating.

Eric spent a few days driving it around getting a basic tune, working all the bugs out and now it's at a friend of his getting a comprehensive dyno tune.

It hasn't done a full power pull yet as that's not what we care about, but the numbers so far have been very encouraging. So far it's been up to 12psi and not revved to redline yet, but it's pumped out 330whp and 360tq on pump gas at those levels. I'll post graphs when the tuning is all done.

In the meantime, here are some pics during the project and a first start vid:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mutapymd5VE

IMG_3133_zps2eu3e27w.jpg

IMG_3119_zpskdma590x.jpg

IMG_3143_zpsfqdd8epx.jpg

9A240ECE-37EF-4277-8C3E-13BC4416CBAD_zpsjcmmw7wa.jpg

IMAG1703_zpsvgelwptm.jpg

IMAG1695_zps7acoy9qi.jpg

IMAG1723_zps5p89slof.jpg

IMAG1441_zpsc7yavejb.jpg

2c16c98d-c36c-4cf3-8b5a-e2bd58cbf260_zpsrgvlkshe.jpg

IMAG1747_zpsacjgq0xm.jpg

I'm not sure how this could not be to anyone's liking. It's pretty much the baller tb dream car.

Looks fantastic, sounds like it goes like stink, and that undercarriage is astoundingly clean.

Good work, I'm sure the owner will be very proud.

Despite any and all issues RSI had as a business over the years, you guys did undeniably fantastic work building cars. This is yet another testament to that--thanks for sharing!

...and now I'm feeling woefully incompetent. :oops:

RSI as a shop is a sad story, but I'm confident that things will be much better under the new business scheme. Best of luck; I hope the company lives up to its monumental potential. I can't wait to see this car when I'm not at work and can see the pictures; it will surely be an inspiration.

Out of curiosity, does Asher still have his blue 242? I'm the one who wrote the feature for SM/Solo.

Last edited:
So happy to see this thing in one piece and on the road. One of the cleanest 242's around. I would say maybe the cleanest car to come out of RSI since I have been running around the volvo scene.

Excellent work by you all!!!

Congrats

Sean

RSI as a shop is a sad story, but I'm confident that things will be much better under the new business scheme. Best of luck; I hope the company lives up to its monumental potential. I can't wait to see this car when I'm not at work and can see the pictures; it will surely be an inspiration.

Out of curiosity, does Asher still have his blue 242? I'm the one who wrote the feature for SM/Solo.

The turbo or NA one? I have the turbo car now and he still has the NA.

Back