• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 242 Idle dip issues

sideways242

Hey there fellow brick boys and girls,

I've got an issue Id like to fix seeing that its been irritating me for a month or so now. I have a 1984 242 with a b230ft and an LH2.4 harness swap, and I am having issues with stalling and rpm drops after the engine is revved. The car starts perfect and drives great under load, but when coming to a stop the cars RPM drops into the 400's for a second shaking the whole car, but shortly then returns to normal after the car seemingly saves itself. However, if the car is given throttle when parked, the car will dip in idle and most of the time stall out. I checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing, and the whole thing has become rather confusing. Anthing helps, thanks!

Make sure that the throttle body idle switch is positioned correctly and that you have no leaks in the intake system.

Also, drown the idle valve in brakleen until it's nice and loose.

Oh yeah. Having a dummy vss signal is important.

its a full harness, but I dont have the sensor in the diff wired into the ECU harness. Does this also cause the dip? I already knew about the high idle after freeway runs, but Ive read nothing about it dipping after acceleration. Thanks!

Back