• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Which car for Turbo Tinkering and why

bigwilly1

Hey Turbo Bricks,

1st post here so will introduce myself. My names Will and im fat, which is the ONLY reason for my name. Ask my wife! Car enthusiast but work offshore as a super yacht engineer. Currently engineer on a 55m Hybrid super yacht but cant tell you the name due to owners privacy rules :(. The yacht does have 2 Volvo D6 engines and 2 D3s on the Tender though. Owned (and rented) a vast range of cars including a Classic V8 range rover, porches, Audi's (inc RS4) but my favorite car by far has been my N Reg Volvo 850, 2.5l 280k+, Full service history 7 seats etc. I loved how you could floor that thing everywhere and very rarely manage to get over the speed limit but still was plenty of fun!

Anyway, I'm going to be spending more time at home soon and looking for a project car to keep me out of my wifes way. I want another volvo again but want to make sure i get the right car to tinker with. long term plan is a sleeper with as much HP as possible over the next few years. No real interest in racing etc but want an engine/platform i can tune/upgrade with miminal input from 3rd Partys and realtivley easily. No real budget but the cheaper the better, for example a 850R would be fine but if I could get a 850 2.5 performing the same as the 850R for less money that would be better. No issues on fuel consumption as we have a 50mpg golf for longer trips! My only specification is it needs to be an estate. Would also love to do a supercharger sticking through the 'hood' but need the longitudinally mounted blocks for that to look right.

What do you experts reckon?

Hmm, works for someone who can afford a yacht, and lives in Cheshire.
Footballer, are they? ;-)

I'm biased as a 940 turbo owner myself, but considering we in the UK are able to find late model cars with the M90, and they are dead simple to work on.
But if you have your heart set on a 5-pot then an 850 or V70 T5 would be a good shout.

Hahaha I wish it was a footballer but this guy is way wealthier but waayy tighter on his pennies lol

Googling the 940?s now. I like the squarer body shape so it?s winning so far!

Can you explain briefly the ROUGH (and I mean rough) costs on each ?stage? of the turbo build and the approx HP that comes from it? IE ?stage 1 is manifold, turbo, remap and extras~ ?500 and ~200hp?.

Money is going to depend on what parts you use. I'd look across the pond at Sweden for go fast parts. KLRacing and KGTrimning are good places to start. Classicswede will have you covered for suspension parts and other goodies in England. May be able to source other parts too.

Hahaha I wish it was a footballer but this guy is way wealthier but waayy tighter on his pennies lol

Googling the 940’s now. I like the squarer body shape so it’s winning so far!

Can you explain briefly the ROUGH (and I mean rough) costs on each ‘stage’ of the turbo build and the approx HP that comes from it? IE “stage 1 is manifold, turbo, remap and extras~ ?500 and ~200hp”.

Tb newb performance faq

I'm biased as a 940 turbo owner myself, but considering we in the UK are able to find late model cars with the M90, and they are dead simple to work on.
But if you have your heart set on a 5-pot then an 850 or V70 T5 would be a good shout.

Hey Turbo Bricks,

1st post here so will introduce myself. My names Will and im fat, which is the ONLY reason for my name. Ask my wife! Car enthusiast but work offshore as a super yacht engineer. Currently engineer on a 55m Hybrid super yacht but cant tell you the name due to owners privacy rules :(. The yacht does have 2 Volvo D6 engines and 2 D3s on the Tender though. Owned (and rented) a vast range of cars including a Classic V8 range rover, porches, Audi's (inc RS4) but my favorite car by far has been my N Reg Volvo 850, 2.5l 280k+, Full service history 7 seats etc. I loved how you could floor that thing everywhere and very rarely manage to get over the speed limit but still was plenty of fun!

Anyway, I'm going to be spending more time at home soon and looking for a project car to keep me out of my wifes way. I want another volvo again but want to make sure i get the right car to tinker with. long term plan is a sleeper with as much HP as possible over the next few years. No real interest in racing etc but want an engine/platform i can tune/upgrade with miminal input from 3rd Partys and realtivley easily. No real budget but the cheaper the better, for example a 850R would be fine but if I could get a 850 2.5 performing the same as the 850R for less money that would be better. No issues on fuel consumption as we have a 50mpg golf for longer trips! My only specification is it needs to be an estate. Would also love to do a supercharger sticking through the 'hood' but need the longitudinally mounted blocks for that to look right.

What do you experts reckon?

Sounds like a cool job. :)

Anyway, shouldn't you ask yourself some questions first.

*) Daily Driven
*) Need AWD?
*) Plan to race it (course, drag, or drift)
*) Or is it occasional street use and some touring
*) How much power do you want

As an 850r owner and speaking directly to the 850's, keep in mind that as they age more, 5h1t that shouldn't happen will happen. Way too much plastic that becomes brittle with years. This is why I plan on parting company with my R.

Go with a 7/9. They age far better than P80's! Later 9's are great. I agree with Cromlech completely concerning the 9's that are available in Europe. M90's are stout. And if autos, even AW71's with good care and modified accumulators will last a long time at elevated power levels (talking about high 200's to low 300's and not used for drag racing).

You CAN also swap a 5 cylinder into a 7/9.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0XQxV3rBKSI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go with a 7/9. They age far better than P80's!

I'd disagree with this point. 850's age about the same as 7/9 series red blocks. Besides the dash on 850's, the basically use the same materials and over time they just apart if not taken care of. Maintenance is easier on 7/9 series cars and maintenance cost is little bit less. The only problem with the 850's is they are wwd(wrong wheel drive).

The best choice is a late model 940 turbo wagon(96-98) preferably with the M90 but I'd find the nicest turbo car and buy that. If it has an autotragic, you can source the manual transmissions bits relatively easy.

Start with a red block build and if that doesn't suit your fancy, you can consider other engine swaps when the time comes.

I'd disagree with this point. 850's age about the same as 7/9 series red blocks.

Hmmm.... Here is a list of items I've dealt with to date.

• Dash
  • HVAC vent controls deep in the dash
  • Center console
  • Door latch mechanism
  • Speaker grills
  • Sunroof mechanism covers (so you can't see the bits while the interior slide is open)
  • Odometer

All due to that **** material they used! This experience is based on owning two P80's so far.

I've owned or own 3 740's and 3 240's. Never had to wonder why the dash sounds like it's exploding or wonder if you're going to brake a portion of the interior while working on it. Never experience heat blowing on one side of the car and cold from the other.

Let's not forget the plastic bit in the door that crumbles and essentially needs a coat hanger turned into a double ended fish hook to repair.

My R is gorgeous, and it's fun, but P80's are built like 5hit.

Wow - Alot of responses!

@ Redwood Chair - thanks for the link. ALOT of good reading on there. Doesnt mean much to me at the moment but working through bit by bit! Thanks to the author also! Ive been on a few forums now and love those FAQs!

@ Centaston - Thanks for the lnk also, having a look on those website after writing this post :)!

@ BDKR
*) Daily Driven - Nope - have access to various other forms of transport, and i'm offshore 1/2 year with no daily commutes whilst im home!

*) Need AWD? - Nope - from what i remember of the skinny 850 tyres though AWD might be good? Quite keen for AWD but i presume that complicates Transmission issues and Engine bay access and adds costs

*) Plan to race it (course, drag, or drift). Nope. maybe a track day once just for fun but definatly not big thing.

*) Or is it occasional street use and some touring - Yes exactly, Something i can use for the dogs, B&Q trips etc but also fiddle with have some fun with. Ideally embarrass a few modern VAG's etc but still park anywhere in the country without fear, which was the problem with the RS4, it had a stupidly loud after market exhaust aswell.

*) How much power do you want - Skys the limit within costs and complications. No real aim/target. Just want some fun! Got a nice tool collection sat at home unused so looking for an excuse to use them!

- What about the early V70s? Are they easy to 'fondle' or are they the next gen/CANBUS etc and much more complicated? Or do they still have the Cr@p plastic. Dont really want to spend my time fiddling round fixing HVAC vents etc. Sounds like my day job to me!

- What about the AWD versions. The car will be kept in a field (undercover) 1/2 its life so being able to get itself out would handy! Quite keen for AWD but i presume that complicates Transmission issues, Engine bay access, adds costs and harder to find.

- No plans to upgrade the suspension as want to keep the right nice and soft. Will prob upgrade brakes as if there is a good solution, only for safety though!

- Would you guys recommend starting with a 'R' model, Turbo model or with bog standard manual? One of the big things is having something to research and focus on whilst offshore rather than sitting at the beach drinking Rum!! Googling, eBaying & Sourcing parts etc. Spend lots of time in the US and Europe so get access to a wide range of options for parts etc. Also free tools and paint onboard! Would also love to do a Megasquirt install one day!!! I imagine if i get the 'R' model, any upgrades from there involve engine rebuilds and megasquirt pretty quickly, where as starting with the bog standard i can spend time sourcing all the turbo parts etc, then evolve step by step?

My R is gorgeous, and it's fun, but P80's are built like 5hit.

you trade one set of problems for another in 2/7/9/ P80 chassis

850 - while the dash does crack its super easy to replace - I reinforced my crack free one with fiberglass before installing it and 80k miles later its still fine

850 door panels with the exception of interior grab handle surround are totally fine
while the 98-2000 panels suck but dash is fine

heater core takes maybe an hour to do

etc etc

Damn straight. Some are understandable and acceptable. Some aren't. A disintegrating interior isn't.

The cool thing is that you can buy mine when I put it up for sale. ;-)

850 - while the dash does crack its super easy to replace - I reinforced my crack free one with fiberglass before installing it and 80k miles later its still fine

Guess what, it's going to come apart where you didn't put fiberglass. And if you say you did the whole thing, show pics... or it's shens!

And when one side starts blowing cold and there's heat on the other side, can you reinforce that stuff?

But whatever... The OP seems dead set on a P80 even tho most here suggest 9.

Have fun. :nod:

So looking at 9?s now. Seem to be a few more quid that?s the 850s but cooler looking and RWD. Like the longitudinal engine mount aswell - more room either side !

What?s regarded the best option for the 9 (or 8) from a tuning point of view? Must admit been reading the FAQ and talking 11sec 1/4 miles is pretty interesting. Not necessarily to ever do the 1/4 mile but have the bragging right :)

There?s is a few 3.0l 960 Autos on eBay at the moment. Good buy or should I wait it out for a manual? Sure displacement is king for tuning but I know strength could
Be an issue ?

Super easy is a 240 dash. P80 dash swap is a pita but not too bad. I've done at least a dozen

850 door panels with the exception of interior grab handle surround are totally fine
while the 98-2000 panels suck but dash is fine

850 door panels use the same material as 7/9 cars and are preferable to 98-00 crap

heater core takes maybe an hour to do

30 minutes if you remember to drain coolant. Can't tell you how many times I forget to do that. 30 mintues to R&R heater core, 30 minutes cleaning up coolant :lol:

etc etc

Similar issues which just is normal maintenance crap.

OK, cool.

Whats involved with getting the Auto box out and putting a M90 or AW71 in? Really keen to have a manual as its more fun, stronger and more economical. Is it it easy or should I really be looking at one with a manual?

Back