• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Grey to silver Phoenix

2 old for this

A great friend bought a super low mileage 760 t off e-bay a few years back. It got crashed. Right strut tower is against the fire wall. So my plan is to rebody it. I have a silver/red 740 that will get all the nice stuff. The red guts on the donor are junk but the black on the 760 is mint so all the interior will be swapped. Not going to use the 760 auto air. I need to get a fresh bottle of memory rejuvenate pills so I can remember all the tricks.

Got the murderd body stripped. The under coating is still shiny. Everything is still like new. This car died way to early.

Started stripping the doner car today. Dash is out and started disconnecting all the wire harness connectors. Going to eliminate the auto air. Then the first monster jumps out. Both cars have abs. 740 has the servo in the engine compartment. Computer under the dash on the left. 760 has the servo in the trunk. GRRRR.

Started installing the turbo harnesses today and made a rookie mistake. I should’ve tied a string to the door switch wires. Spent a wasted hour trying to fish something in to pull the wire up.

I kept hearing a little bird chirping. It was saying why why why. Being 80% deaf in left ear and 30 in the other it just did not register what it was saying. Yep 2 old for this. Shop looks like the phone company had a explosion.

Dumb was the key word of the day. I need to reposition the car for better alignment on the lift. The one and only key is MIA. Better part of a hour was wasted looking for it. Made sure all keys for the corpus were present. The “bolt” holding the steering lock came out by hand. Sawzall removed the keyless one. Power train is out. Prepping turbo motor for install.

Removed the p/s pump and hoses from the dead body. Hoses are like new. Moving the Lubbock zoo to Amarillo is burning all my energy.

Turbo engine and transmission are back in. Had to do some cleaning and rearranging. Got the old engine and trans out of the work area. Anyone need a b230/ZF?

Plumbing and harness. Missing one each upper and lower rad/intercooler rubber mounts. Also oil cooler rubber mount. They probably got left at the crime scene. There is a box somewhere full of them. ????

Found the mounts a/c condenser intercooler rad installed. Anti lock servo is in the way of the amm. No biggy.

Crossed all fingers and toes and hooked up a battery. No smoke. Turned key to on. No smoke. Went to start. Starter works but no bark. Got spark but don’t hear the pump. Test light is mia. Hot wired the main pump but don’t hear it. Our neighbor Jon Chandler is gonna have a gig on FB tonight at 8 central time. Tomorrow’s another day.

Found the test light. Poor connection on my hot wire. Still no bark. Poked around and found the dummy did not seat the plug at the ECU. It is alive. Now to graft the ALB wiring. Donner has pump under the hood. Dead one is in the boot.

Dug thru the stash for decent plastic for the front end. Unboxed a new turn light and discovered no bolt in one end. Luckily it was the one close to the light socket. Tomorrow must be cleanup day because the smashed body needs to be inside for the rear axel and tank pump swap.

Clean up went way better than expected. Fired up the lawnmower aka push vehicle and pushed the smashed body into the shop. Only had to make one course correction. 3 hours later both axels are out. There is a nice plate of fresh cookies and cold milk in the shop fridge for the elves. Maybe they will get something done??

Back