• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

short strut inserts

Is there list for 700/900 front inserts?

Are there any drop in inserts and how much shorter those are?
How about Koni Race inserts (which eg Kaplhenke offers)?

88 cutlass supreme, i'll have to hit up my project thread iirc they're 2.5" shorter than a stock late 2xx front insert and within .05-.010 of the stock dia.

I found them inserts for KYB...366004 Cant find any dmensional specs on them. Im thinking of getting one and seeing how the valving feels against these 300zx ones I have.

KYB Part # 343270 "exel G"
KYB Part # 553194 "gas adjust"

these are numbers for whats available for the SAAB. the one you showed is the buik regal/ cutless one right?

correct. Im refering to my 9xx. Im not sure if the Saab insert will fit my tube since its like 3mm larger in diamter. Im about to have mine apart and will know for sure.

Does anyone have a physical dimension on the Saab Bilstien insert? Just pulled my 9 apart and the Bilstien in that is a tight fit and it measures 45mm. The Saab insert I measured at the parts store was 46mm, so no go on a replacement to fit mine. My 300zx insert fits at 43mm but Im dissapoint in the shaft, the Billys are huge!

Does anyone have a physical dimension on the Saab Bilstien insert? Just pulled my 9 apart and the Bilstien in that is a tight fit and it measures 45mm. The Saab insert I measured at the parts store was 46mm, so no go on a replacement to fit mine. My 300zx insert fits at 43mm but Im dissapoint in the shaft, the Billys are huge!

Aren't the HD's shaft's large because of the inverted design of the strut, and not because it's really 38mm solid shaft - the skinny shaft part is inside the cartridge. Right?

Not sure really. Maybe this is my first exp with inverted struts. In this picture......the yellow part (940 insert) was in the tube and shiny shaft through the tower, and the same with the black (300zx insert), black into tube and shiny part up through the tower is how Im going to install them.

IMG_20110101_165618.jpg

so the saab inserts are too large a diameter to fit in the 900 tubes?

As far as i can tell. i ordered the Saab inserts in to the parts store and they measured 46mm. My Bilstiens measure 45mm and are tight in my 940 tubes.

Aren't the HD's shaft's large because of the inverted design of the strut, and not because it's really 38mm solid shaft - the skinny shaft part is inside the cartridge. Right?
Yes, here is a Bilstein shock from a friend's BMW e28, with the yellow casing removed, you can see the internal bumpstop fitted to the skinny shaft at the bottom. The gland nut is on the right, below it is the top couple of inches of the strut housing which broke off due to corrosion, this allowed the insert to move up and down in the housing scrubbing the yellow paint off and eventually pulling the insert apart.

29062009279_2.jpg

Interesting.....Im going to call Bilstein tomorrow anyways, but I wonder if we can take one or more the stops out for the modifications like Im going to make?

It looks like the bottom will unscrew.

Last edited:
Back