home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #326
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
It's worse than that. I think he was pushing in to get the camber and then trying to pry to get caster. Think about that for a moment... that's not how these slotted mounts work.
I dont understand how someone who has ever aligned a car before wouldn't look at this for 30 seconds and have it be extremely obvious.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #327
chronicrhythm
Board Member

Does it at least drive straight now? That seriously sucks. Once you put the first dent in wouldn't you stop?
chronicrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #328
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

Quote:

Thanks. For whatever reason the tabs on the brackets were not right. I've ground them off and I'm going to reweld them. Not sure why one side was welded at the wrong angle.
Oh no thatís awful what they did D:

Also yeah - I know itís supposed to run along the firewall/wiper trough, but the car I found it on had it backwards, going over the center of the engine. Maybe they messed with it somehow when they installed it.

Good luck with the damage! I canít even begin to imagine how livid I would be...
stiligFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #329
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicrhythm View Post
Does it at least drive straight now? That seriously sucks. Once you put the first dent in wouldn't you stop?
You'd think they'd look at the car and kindof assume that prying on things would be no bueno, right? Nope, it's not aligned; it's more off than when I took it in. I told them to stop immediately and just back it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiligFox View Post
Good luck with the damage! I can’t even begin to imagine how livid I would be...
Thanks. I'll get it worked out and I'll get that bar installed.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #330
PCH
Board Member

Sucks how they chewed up the strut towers. May be throw some door edge protector trim over what they did.
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #331
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiligFox View Post
Oh no thatís awful what they did D:

Also yeah - I know itís supposed to run along the firewall/wiper trough, but the car I found it on had it backwards, going over the center of the engine. Maybe they messed with it somehow when they installed it.

Good luck with the damage! I canít even begin to imagine how livid I would be...
Wait, I got mine on backwards?
Quote:

mtd240: I suspect "the wives" have a super-secret forum to discuss whether or not they will let us buy Volvo parts.
DavidSamuels: Not a website, a panel discussion/reality show. Real Housewives of Gothenburg.

-Feedback-
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #332
SquareD
An Anomaly

Nope, that's correct.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #333
+Kardboard+

Phew. I was pretty sure that it wouldn't go on any other way.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #334
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
Wait, I got mine on backwards?
Damn I always forget that the 7/940s have different drainage channels. On the 960s the drainage channel fits perfectly with the bar -

In my case, the AC dryer was in the way....

I’m full of all kinds of bad info lately D:

Last edited by stiligFox; 05-16-2018 at 11:43 PM..
stiligFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:18 AM   #335
InTheWhite
Board Member

Quote:
Even after going over the mounts and how to adjust them and explaining caster first and then seeing what kind of camber is possible, the guy working on the car clearly didn't know what the hell was going on. It looks like he tried to set camber first and then tried to pry the mount forward to get caster right.

I'm seriously at a loss, I have no idea how 1) someone could not understand how the adjustment of these worked and 2) how it would be totally legit to pry and damage parts and a car that the owner clearly cares about.

The owner is supposed to call me today to work out how they can "make things right". If we get resistance... well my attorney wife has been kinda light at work, so...

Driver's side:
20180514_183329 by D H, on Flickr

Passenger side:
20180514_185818 by D H, on Flickr

Thanks. For whatever reason the tabs on the brackets were not right. I've ground them off and I'm going to reweld them. Not sure why one side was welded at the wrong angle.
O no!!! What have they done???

Volvo has an longer caster rod (396mm) if you want more caster. Or it was to much now?
InTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #336
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

As we say in the South, "You can't fix stupid".

Collect the $$$ for damages, tape off your BNE top hats and sneak in there with a dremel to top off that damage.
Done carefully (as you can't Undo it) and bottle of OEM touchup paint...... you'll have to look for it to find it.

Sorry Dustin..... yet another example why I don't let anyone work on my vehicles sans the tire changers.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #337
SquareD
An Anomaly

Thanks Duane. They paid me well for the damages. Now to order replacement mounts and sort things out for good.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #338
+Kardboard+

Quote:
Thanks Duane. They paid me well for the damages. Now to order replacement mounts and sort things out for good.
Good! Glad to hear.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #339
soclosenotnear
Board Member

I'm still in disbelief. The worst part is that you knew it was going to happen (although it shouldn't have) and then it did.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #340
SquareD
An Anomaly

So this is the after... first picture is the rougher side. I used a hammer and dolly to flatten the pry marks. I'm going to put things together this weekend and then I can sand it and smooth it out some after everything is done. I'm still frustrated that such a stupid thing happened, but it'll be fine.

20180608_083418 by D H, on Flickr

20180608_083403 by D H, on Flickr

Last edited by SquareD; 06-08-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Old 06-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #341
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

When you get ready to reassemble, if you want to use my FASTRAX alignment jig, I'll ship it to you. Did my 70 Malibu using the system, and plan to do the DD if I ever finish it. Look up the Youtube vids, works well and no hammer head alignment techs!
Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #342
JohnMc
PV Abuser

*golf clap* Nice work!
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #343
SquareD
An Anomaly

Back together and on the ground, finally.

20180608_182406 by D H, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
*golf clap* Nice work!
Thanks John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
When you get ready to reassemble, if you want to use my FASTRAX alignment jig, I'll ship it to you. Did my 70 Malibu using the system, and plan to do the DD if I ever finish it. Look up the Youtube vids, works well and no hammer head alignment techs!
Thanks for the offer! I'm evaluating my options. There's a place not too far from my work that specializes in modified cars that has some legit cred and a bunch of recommendations.

Stock springs with the fancy BNE mounts are going to be fiddly to adjust. The upper spring perch pretty much covers up the mounting bolts for the mounts The bolts with the BNE select mounts have a square neck so you can just push them up in the slot and they don't turn. The fancier mounts aren't like that. I need to make sure that whoever does the work is patient and doesn't hamfist things or cut corners.

Last edited by SquareD; 06-09-2018 at 02:50 PM..
Old 06-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #344
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

So you went with the FANCY BNE top strut mounts this round! Best of luck, should be able to dial that alignment in..... and your specialty shop.

I'd like the details of your vent setup which I've (finally) noticed in the pic. Custom oil cap breather to the reservoir, and thence to the turbo inlet hose. Does it automagically drain to the breather box under #4 intake runner? I'm still stock on the DD, but curious.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #345
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
I'd like the details of your vent setup which I've (finally) noticed in the pic. Custom oil cap breather to the reservoir, and thence to the turbo inlet hose. Does it automagically drain to the breather box under #4 intake runner? I'm still stock on the DD, but curious.
It's the full Yoshifab setup:

https://yoshifab.com/store/redblock-...ather-kit.html

Actually, one of the next things I need to do is pull the can and add some stainless steel scrubber inside for increased oil precip. When I installed the do88 IC I noticed a decent amount of oil in the pipes and I'm hoping getting more baffling via the scrubbers will help.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #346
MrKrabs
Board Member

Quote:
Actually, one of the next things I need to do is pull the can and add some stainless steel scrubber inside for increased oil precip. When I installed the do88 IC I noticed a decent amount of oil in the pipes and I'm hoping getting more baffling via the scrubbers will help.
Interesting of you to mention that as I have the same setup and same issue. I thought my engine just had to much blowby without ever really checking, but now re-evaluating the situation. I'll be following to see how it works out for you!
MrKrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #347
SquareD
An Anomaly

No pictures, but I pulled out the Yoshifab can yesterday to address excess oil in the intake. I just stretched the stainless pot scrubber around the tube that feeds into the top port and back out into the intake. Hopefully that baffles the vapor coming in the side ports and increases oil precip some.

I'm starting to see like others have said that the Yoshi can is kinda small and doesn't have enough baffling. Unfortunately there's not a ton of real estate over on that side of the engine bay which is the upside of the compact Yoshifab setup. We'll see how it works with the additional Dollar Store baffling.

Last edited by SquareD; 06-25-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Old 06-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #348
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Shifting gears..... how do you like the middle hole on the QSRC's? Hope it's good, as I've got mine set in the same position.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #349
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Shifting gears..... how do you like the middle hole on the QSRC's? Hope it's good, as I've got mine set in the same position.
I really haven't had much time behind the wheel. The QRSC's add to the "stack height" of the strut assembly which generally makes things more of a hassle to disassemble and reassemble. Sway bar end links definitely need to be detached and reattached to the lca with both wheels on the ground now. I'm assuming inner tie rods aren't articulated to a unhealthy angle now with the front wheels off the ground.

Honestly, the verdict is still out for me whether they were a necessary upgrade for what I use the car for. I'm sure the alignment fiasco soured me a bit. Hopefully I can get some time to drive and enjoy the car to change my mind. Both sides have a clunk after this latest round of reassembly so I have to chase that down. I wish I had more time for car stuff, but I don't.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #350
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
I wish I had more time for car stuff, but I don't.
My wife feels just the opposite! I can appreciate your position with kids..... .BTDT.