home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #201
Lord_Athlon
Just damn

Gonna find a 91-93 chassis harness and ac stuffs?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #202
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderfpu View Post
I'm digging it.Glad to see progress. Decided not to
Sell my 242. How was the Doug o polooza this weekend?
It was an absolutely fantastic event (like always). Had a great time, to bad you didn't make it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
Gonna find a 91-93 chassis harness and ac stuffs?
I'll probably wire from scratch again, it was so much easier and nicer having a modern fuseblock in the 242... but I probably will absolutely use the newer heater core/evap.
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #203
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
It was an absolutely fantastic event (like always). Had a great time, to bad you didn't make it out!

I'll probably wire from scratch again, it was so much easier and nicer having a modern fuseblock in the 242... but I probably will absolutely use the newer heater core/evap.
Wish I had done that with my car from the start, will probably still circle back and change it eventually. I can't believe Volvo was still using those crappy fuses all the way up to '93
Old 04-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #204
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Wish I had done that with my car from the start, will probably still circle back and change it eventually. I can't believe Volvo was still using those crappy fuses all the way up to '93
Totally agree. Honestly, when I did the 242 (the second time with the full harness/block kit not just a fuseblock) it was really easy.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #205
Lord_Athlon
Just damn

240's really are quite easy to wire. It makes you wonder why they have so much in there from the factory.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:22 AM   #206
Mueller
Board Member

Package headed to your shop....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2913.JPG (48.3 KB, 594 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2915.JPG (64.0 KB, 594 views)
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #207
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

YES THAT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!! Thank you so much Mike! You went above and beyond on this!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #208
slow240
Home Schooled

Yo dawg, we herd u liek t5s.

So we put a t5 on your t5 so you can t5 your t5
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
I'll polish your face

'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, b230ft/aw71, 16t.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #209
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
Yo dawg, we herd u liek t5s.

So we put a t5 on your t5 so you can t5 your t5
seriously right lol

Ok with a little luck I'll have the motor and trans in the car this weekend. Then I can start doing any fab or mockup work that will require welding to the car or in it before paint.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #210
slow240
Home Schooled

jsyk, im super excited to watch this build unfold, but my wife may or may not be your biggest fan right now.....

you have inspired me to do a full ground up on my 242. as soon as my 244 is out of paint, the 242 is getting stripped to a bare shell, and a redblock version of this build (not unlike your old 242) will commence...... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #211
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
jsyk, im super excited to watch this build unfold, but my wife may or may not be your biggest fan right now.....

you have inspired me to do a full ground up on my 242. as soon as my 244 is out of paint, the 242 is getting stripped to a bare shell, and a redblock version of this build (not unlike your old 242) will commence...... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
That's very kind of you to say, thank you so much for the kind words! Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Well, since I have a trans adapter in bound, a yoshi fab cross member and really everything else ready to go I pulled the motor out of storage, pressure washed it clean and did a little tinkering. I'll be bringing it home from the shop tomorrow.

Driver side mount looks good to go. Just need a couple longer bolts

Passenger side mount and ATP manifold. (I'm pretty impressed with it, it's not as good as a header in the collector but over all should be an improvement over the R manifold)

.83 AR T3 hot side from ATP

and some BuchkaHomerSwag™

That's about it, tomorrow I'll start hauling stuff home. I have Andrew's 244ti in the garage finishing up from a blown HG so hopefully we can get that done and out by saturday.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #212
doucheNozzle

ATP manifold flips the turbo right? Intake and exhaust get flipped?

'99 V70 NAA - So Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #213
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
ATP manifold flips the turbo right? Intake and exhaust get flipped?
Yep. Intake is facing 'forward' unlike the FWD position.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #214
Homer
OEMplus++

That's HomerBuchkaSwag.
Need something TIG welded? Give me a shout.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #215
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
That's HomerBuchkaSwag.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #216
cosbySweater
Board Member

So your not going to mod the oil pan? Getting a tubular crossmember or a boxed one?
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7875 turbo, 228/230 cam, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #217
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
So your not going to mod the oil pan? Getting a tubular crossmember or a boxed one?
I have a modded 960 pan already, it's at home and the motor was at my shop and it was 88* in the shop so I got bored and messed around before coming home. ;)

I've actually had that pan for about 5-6 years now. lol
Old 05-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #218
Mueller
Board Member

FedEx should be dropping something off this weekend for you....I forgot to get a tracking number, but being your account I guess you can look it up!

Thanks for thinking about me and letting me be involved in your build somewhat!
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #219
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
FedEx should be dropping something off this weekend for you....I forgot to get a tracking number, but being your account I guess you can look it up!

Thanks for thinking about me and letting me be involved in your build somewhat!
Thank YOU!

I just checked, looks like it'll be on todays truck. HOPEFULLY they'll deliver it here at the shop tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #220
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Looking good Doug. I found a set of those camber plates in my garage too...wonder how they got there? The machining fairy?

Pardon me for asking, but why did you choose to go internally wastegated on this build? The ATP manifold is going to need a block off plate (which would be a great spot for an EGT and/or backpressure probe if you were so inclined).

Although if you are going to go internally gated, that's one of the better housings there is to choose from. It's an OE Garrett turbine housing wastegate assembly from the Australian Ford Falcon inline six. Although in its original application it fits a GT35 turbine wheel, and I spy a part number that indicates otherwise on yours.

You can see the distinct outlet flange on this display engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #221
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Pardon me for asking, but why did you choose to go internally wastegated on this build? The ATP manifold is going to need a block off plate (which would be a great spot for an EGT and/or backpressure probe if you were so inclined).
I figured I'd start with this setup first. I prefer internal gates just from a simplicity perspective, plus having an external wastegate sitting on top of the exhaust manifold is a blaring red light should I get hassled by the fuzz (regardless of the car being exempt). Not to mention having to plumb it in to the DP ect.

IF I can fit it, you hit the nail on the head. I'll use the block off plate and put my EGT probe there. If I need more firewall clearance off the back of the turbo then I'll go external.

I'll know once the motor is in the car though, I'm pretty sure I can stick with internal. You're right, much better design. I had the traditional T3 housing on the T5R and even with the "ultimate internal gate" from ATP, I had 18psi from 4500 rpm on if I wanted it or not Hoping this one flows a bit better.

Oh and it's still between a GTX3067R and GTX3071R. I keep thinking the 67 but then I wuss out and think I'll want a bit more power from the 71. The GTX3067R sure sounds good though, good power with a wider power band. Honestly, if I can do 400whp (450 on e85) with a big power band I'm a happy camper. I sure loved the GT3071R on the t5r.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #222
Duder

Gotcha. Internal is definitely simpler and less attention-grabbing. I completely understand.

If you're inclined towards cool electronic science projects, maybe try a linear electric wg actuator from a new VW EA888 1.8T engine, or the 2.0T VW/Audi version. Auf Deutsch: "E-Steller." I think they might be CAN-BUS devices but if you could get your ECU to talk to it, there would be great benefits vs. a traditional pneumatic actuator w/ boost controller. It has a 12VDC motor with a 5VDC position sensor for closed-loop feedback.

The electric actuator would improve transient boost response by like 0.5 seconds vs. a traditional pneumatic actuator. No cracking open until you tell it to do so. Half a second less waiting for the turbo to respond when you get back on the throttle is significant. It would also let you command a position and you'd know it was exactly x% open, no dicking around with springs and preload. You could create any wastegate opening curve you want based on load, engine speed, boost pressure, whatever.

You'd need to fab a bracket, work out a controller, and calibrate it of course. I'm not sure if you could get just the actuator through a VW parts supplier. The turbo may not even be available yet as a service part. But something to keep in mind.

And my prior offer still stands - if you send me some details of your engine build with power goals, I'll do a quick match and let you know whether the GTX3067R or GTX3071R would be best for your application.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #223
Johann
Board Member

Friend recently tuned a V70 with a GTX3071R A/R .82 and found it to be to sluggish. Late spool. Hot side will be changed to A/R .63 in the near future.

Looks like a 67 will be plenty of compressor. Won't give you bragging rights though.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #224
Duder

The GTX 67mm compressor is good for an honest 500 bhp on your average performance 4-cyl build. I saw dyno charts of about 480 rwhp from an SR20DET on a sponsored Formula D car running a GTX2867R. I'm proud of this little guy - he's a boss hoss in a tidy package.

Here's an illustration of the new VW 1.8T Honeywell/Garrett MGT1752S with the e-actuator for the internal wg. I found this through a google search so it's publicly available and not super secret or anything.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #225
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
....electronic wizardry.....
And my prior offer still stands - if you send me some details of your engine build with power goals, I'll do a quick match and let you know whether the GTX3067R or GTX3071R would be best for your application.
That's really cool but sounds more like a Buchka skill set than mine ;) I'm more big hammer and hope LOL

Sending you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Friend recently tuned a V70 with a GTX3071R A/R .82 and found it to be to sluggish. Late spool. Hot side will be changed to A/R .63 in the near future.

Looks like a 67 will be plenty of compressor. Won't give you bragging rights though.
I had a 63 on the T5R and I really loved it for "daily" use but always felt like that motor was just dying over 6k. I'm sure intake, early style head (though ported) and R manifold we're all contributors. I'm hoping with the VVT head, Me7 intake and ATP manifold that should be about as uncorked as I can make it with mostly OEM parts (or at least cast). I'm 50/50 about the 82 but it should work better up to 7600 I think. At the worst, it's just a housing swap (I have to keep reminding myself that it's not a life or death decision, I've been worrying about this with every turbo ever).

BTW can't be worse than the 242 with the HY35. LOL

Pictures:

Out with the old crappy FWD pan and pickup tube

In with RWD pickup tube

And RWD pan'd

Hopefully get this guy out of the garage by the weekend

That's Andrew's 244ti. Popped a head gasket a couple weeks ago. Ended up rebuilding and decking the head, new water pump, gaskets, injectors, fan/clutch, kickdown cable and some other stuff. We did a 15G/90+ late last year. Good little driver.

Last edited by Hank Scorpio; 05-15-2014 at 10:31 PM..