• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S60 2.4t 200 hp advice

kww

Hello

I would like some advice on a step beyond a remap.

this on a S60 2.4T 200 hp automatic from 2001, euro spec.

what are the desired upgrades after a remap? i didnt do a remap yet because i want to see what the best way to proceed is.

for example, the cat is the same as the T5 version so no need to upgrade to a 3 inch downpipe with racecat?

and if not is the R spec manifold advisable?

intake?

wich injectors?

im not interested in big horsepower gains, my goal is quick spool/fast respons, fuel economy, and durability/reliable.

standerd remap would give almost 100 nm more so 30 to 50 hp more and 100 to 150 nm more would be appreciated.

thanx in advance.

and the turbo is stil stock ran 200.000 km, and maybe its a good idea to rebuilt with billet wheel and do some hybrid to it, but what specific?

ps, i used the search and read a lot, but now could use some specific advice.

Basically any remap will benefit from an intake upgrade and larger exhaust, so say the masses. But for 30 to 50 hp more those mods will bring more engine noise than real gains, Volvo did a good job already designing both systems.

Depending on the remap it may have been done with a specific set of injectors (and probably all other auxilliaries) in mind. Check with the retailer for their "recipe" and just go on that.

If you end up wanting more than just 50hp, a more capable turbo and better flowing manifold (without that endless first cylinder runner on the lesser manies) would be where you'd start feeling more horses for sure! For that you need an R spec K24 turbo and manifold. Since you're in Europe I can help out, I just happen to have both of those laying around. :)

I have the same basic car (only U.S. spec) and have purchased a used S60R downpipe to go along with a 16t turbo. It's still sitting in my basement, but that was my best bang for the buck recipe from my own research.

A lot of remaps turn up the boost so you see significant gains in the "phase 1" so to speak.

I've owned a non-turbo S60, so I'm not that familiar with the modding platform for it, but I'll say in general for most turbo cars, before getting a TUNE (which I could argue is different than a remap) it's best to get your intake and exhaust setup first. I might also consider intercooler piping if that's an option and even an IC if the cars stock IC is inefficient.

Saying all of that, a remap is usually a boxed type of package and may be designed to work with a specific set of mods that I'm sure would be mentioned/listed somewhere. If it's simply a remap though, and it's just a universal remap for S60's. You could get it, and then add those mods after to continue to see gains.

And saying all of THAT... all I can add is the experience from my Evo9MR. That car has a FULL exhaust (tubular manifold, O2 housing, DP, no cat, all mandrel 3" all the way), cone filter, upper and lower (so full) IC piping, fuel pump, boost controller and that's it (for power). The car dyno'd 305awhp on US93 octane at 25psi. It could definitely go more, but I wanted stable and driveable. I can also run that tune on as low as 89 octane with no issues as I did to get it to Pikes Peak.

Stock boost iirc is 19psi tapering to 17psi at 7k redline. My redline is at 8k now.

I don't know if that would've been legit 50whp, but it might give you an idea of mods and tune and what they might ACTUALLY deliver.

Leaving it stock will be best fuel economy. Anything you change to add power is going to lower fuel economy.

That being said, the 2.4t lpt has higher compression ratio and thinner cylinder walls with lower boost pressure. If you want big power get a 2.3 hpt engine. Mild increases can be done by improving things but the 2.4 isn't as strong as the 2.3.

If you want to improve things- The intake pipe going from MAF sensor to turbo is quite restrictive, do88 makes an upgrade.

The reverse intercooler pipe kits will improve throttle response along with the pre turbo pipe.

Bigger down pipe, R manifold and angle flanged turbo will improve response and boost times. 16T would be an upgraded turbo, stock on T5s and hpt cars. Tunes will make best use of those parts but not sure what tunes are available for lpt engines.

I believe that those reverse intercooler pipe kits only apply to the 850 and S/V70 up to 2000. It's just not a thing for the P2 volvos.

Injectors, I wouldn't worry about at the kinds of power increases you are talking about.

It seems like what you want is a "stage 1" type of tune. I got mine from Hilton Tuning, and it is excellent. Much better power and torque, and my fuel economy is exactly the same as before. I keep track of every fuel addition with an app, so I have actual numbers from before and after, and there is no difference. I have a 2007 V70 2.5T, which is very similar to what you have.

Good luck.

i think you might be right.
ard answerd that a 3inch downpipe and sportexhaust plus intercooler kit only ads up to about 15 hp.
so not for me right now.
although im waiting for some info about a local turbo rebuilder who also does hybri,s conversions and billet wheels.
keep you posted.

The general consensus I've seen is that the cat-back isn't worth a whole lot (that's fairly true on lots of cars). Downpipe is the key to power. However, the stock exhaust clearly won't sound as cool.

Hp's only matter on the dyno. Improving throttle response will be quite noticeable on the street. If you want big power sleeve the block, light forged pistons with longer rods, big turbo and tubular manifold, big injectors, big MAF housing and megasuirt or use tunerpro and map that bad boy till you hit the numbers you're after. Or get an R and start with 300bhp.

Your transmission will be the first limiting factor.

Stick with a stage 1/2 or stage 1 from a reputable tuner. I personally wouldn't go further with a 2.4t. I have a Hilton tune in my R and like it.

Back