• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2001 C70 Downpipe replacement Now with WTF IPD???? (Now with tuning content)

That's a really lame excuse, C70s use the same exhaust as any other FWD V70/S70.

I would think so as well. Though the Cabrio may have a different sub-frame which might explain the rear hanger. The O2 sensor however :e-shrug:

Now you need an Ipd tune. :lol:

Seriously though, you might want to consider a tune if you installed a full exhaust.

I dunno - it's an older car with over 220K on the motor - it runs well, has the R manifold and the exhaust which makes it pretty fun to drive as is. I don't need to beat it up more than necessary.

I thought tunes were also considered beneficial to the motor after giving the turbo the opportunity to spool up much faster than it was able to with the factory exhaust system.

Hmnmm perhaps I should give that some consideration...:oogle:

I wonder if IPD has "tunes" that fit a C70 :lol:

Hit up Hilton. $325 for a stage 1, plus a DiCE which runs $150 or so on ebay and leaves you with a diagnostic tool as well.

We went that route on the V50, really picked up a good bit given no other mods at all, and it seems to have picked up a little highway mileage, in-town is no different than stock, as long as we behave...lol

But there's a downfall to Hilton. He actually provides some customer support, so you'll have to deal with that issue if you go with him.

Hit up Hilton. $325 for a stage 1, plus a DiCE which runs $150 or so on ebay and leaves you with a diagnostic tool as well.

We went that route on the V50, really picked up a good bit given no other mods at all, and it seems to have picked up a little highway mileage, in-town is no different than stock, as long as we behave...lol

But there's a downfall to Hilton. He actually provides some customer support, so you'll have to deal with that issue if you go with him.

:lol:

Hm so Hilton or ARD eh?

Sent inquiries to both - thanks :wave:

Last edited:
Ard has a mixed reputation. I personally never had issues with them, but I know many others did. There should be a number of threads about Ard on VS and swedespeed.

I have mixed feelings about Hilton at the moment. I have his stage 2 tune on my V70R. I've sent him three emails in the last month and have gotten no response from him.

What do you think about the tune?

It's okay. My car hasn't blown up yet. I think there are some rough spots that need attention.

I have e-mailed Hilton about having my stage 2 tune redone with logs from the software he provides, but he's never replied.

I can't recommend ARD in good faith, based on my own experience. On top of that, I know several ME7 owners that were without their ride for a while as ARD was trying to figure stuff out. One never got a resolution.

With the Hilton stuff you flash your own ECU, maintain the stock tune so you can swap back, and there's no downtime.

Oh, and he supports his product, hasn't blown up people's motors, masked DTC's, all that BS.

Hilton is great but he's super busy lately, might want to go with Steveo or Contrast, two guys building good reputations as well.

ARD I would say is ok for 850s but he has a rep for screwing up 99-up ME7 cars, mine included. I can't recommend him.

ARD seems to have a host of bad reviews out there. Usually a reason for it.

I'm not in a super rush - Hilton seems like the best bet. Emailed him we'll see what his time frame is for getting back to me.

On a side note - the IPD exhaust is really a lot louder than I was expecting, and from a cosmetic standpoint I think that giant exhaust tip looks a bit silly. Could be because it isn't fitting the way they said it would due to the hanger issue. Hoping it will be tamed a bit once the new tune is actiive. Performance wise, about what you'd expect from a good performance exhaust, really opens up the power band smooth all the way to the redline, better acceleration etc. Interesting to note that on the highway I'm at 85+ without even realizing it. But then you put on the cruise control and there is that constant drooooooooonnnnnneeeeee....

The noise is what makes it fun!

What's the rest of the exhaust look like?

Sometimes it's fun - other times it's really annoying - cruising on the highway at cruise-control 5th gear RPMs shouldn't be rattling your brain with a constant cockpit drone - or maybe it should :e-shrug:. Might just take some time to get used to.

The exhaust overall is nice looking if you crawl under the car - no complaints there except for the rear hanger which had to be done on the fly resulting in a little less than optimal aesthetics IMO. If I had to give the rear appearance a rating I'd give it 8/10. Again nothing horrible it's just a little awkward and clumsy looking - which isn't what I expect out of an $800 custom exhaust.

Sorry, what I meant was what kind of muffler are you using? Only one or two mufflers?

Using this set up:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RiDTsHYD-WY" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5619/114198-turbo-back-sport-exhaust-kit-straight-flange

So if I'm not mistaken they have the resonator and the rear muffler.

No idea what the actual muffler is - they are good at white labeling.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's fun - other times it's really annoying - cruising on the highway at cruise-control 5th gear RPMs shouldn't be rattling your brain with a constant cockpit drone - or maybe it should :e-shrug:. Might just take some time to get used to.

The exhaust overall is nice looking if you crawl under the car - no complaints there except for the rear hanger which had to be done on the fly resulting in a little less than optimal aesthetics IMO. If I had to give the rear appearance a rating I'd give it 8/10. Again nothing horrible it's just a little awkward and clumsy looking - which isn't what I expect out of an $800 custom exhaust.

5 cylinder drone is pretty normal with a full exhaust. Some folks on the interwebs claim adding a bottle resonator will help.

Back