• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Engine swap

Mathieu

Just a brainchild:
Is it possible to fit another PRV V6 engineblock into a Volvo equipped with a PRV V6 block?
For example: could you fit a 268 hp 2.8 ltr. V6 Renault Safrane biturbo block into a 780 or a 200 hp 2.5 ltr Renault 25 turbo block into a Volvo 262?

Don't ask me why I am thinking about this. It just popped up in my brain :cool:

Just a brainchild:
Is it possible to fit another PRV V6 engineblock into a Volvo equipped with a PRV V6 block?
For example: could you fit a 268 hp 2.8 ltr. V6 Renault Safrane biturbo block into a 780 or a 200 hp 2.5 ltr Renault 25 turbo block into a Volvo 262?

The descriptions of the other Renault motors is not going to get you a good response because virtually nobody here knows much about the PRV V6...

One big question is this, the other motors are they the 90 degree PRV motor commonly called the Dourvrin V6?
Fake Edit I just checked, the Safrane biturbo was PRV Dourvrin as well as the Renault 25.
So, that solves that..
But as for what gearbox you will find that will last, what back axle that won't die immediately, what bodyshell reinforcing so the back axle doesn't fall out of the car, those are other questions.

Just a brainchild:

There aren't a lot of those around anymore are there? Why not a BMW I6 or maybe even a Ford or Opel V6, junkyards are 'full' of those, I havent seen Safranes for a while.

Physically bolting any of them in wouldn't be hard. Just split the bottom of the case and use the Volvo B280/28 bottom to get the right oil pan/motor mount setup.
It is everything after that point that gets complicated. As I recall the Renault 25 has the accessories mounted high by the heads, which might not work with a 200 series strut towers. Our sort-of version of the 25 (Eagle Premier) uses a serpentine belt system that does fit. Not sure where the waterpump outlets are, so you might need a custom radiator. The 260 one is backward from the 760 one. The exhausts will need some custom work as the non-turbo ones aim at the steering linkage and if my memory is correct the turbo ones go out before going up and back, so might hit strut towers.
Programmable fuel injection will probably be easier than adapting whatever system they came with to the Volvo.
Transmission bolt pattern is the same on all of them so you should be able to bolt up whatever you can find that will handle the power, and then use whatever flywheel/flexplate you have. After that you'll need to modify your driveshaft and you may be beefing up the Volvo driveshaft/rear end if you want it to last.

My experience with the Renault 25 and other non-Volvo PRVs was 15 years ago so it is fuzzy.
Whatever version I remember with the big air cleaner on top probably wouldn't work in a Volvo engine bay.
Isn't the Safrane transverse mounted? I have no idea how that would complicate things. Seems easier to start with the longitudinal Renault 25 motor...

The biggest problem is availability/cost as was already said here in the US. It is far easier to find a B230FT from the early 90s here and make big power with it than to build up hard to find V6 engines that weren't common here when new. And anyone in the US willing to do the amount of custom work and mixing and matching required to make this work will just go for an american v8 for cost and fun. In Europe maybe see if a Mercedes M119 will fit between the strut towers of a 780.

It would certainly be fun and different. Go for it!

Thanks everyone for the support. It was just an idea what popped up in my brain. At first I thought a PRV V6 is a PRV V6 but it's a little more complicated. It's not that I have a 262 or 780 right now but just doing some thinking about what might be possible every now and then is fun. Although That's what I think.

Writing about that: Maybe chiptuning is easier? Or is it a no-go because of a non-turbo engine? How much more HP would you have if you did this combined with a sportsexhaust, etc.? I am just curious about it.

FYI: I think you always have to see if you can improve something to your car. Not to make it a musclecar but just to make it better. Change the power-weightratio, make it more luxurious (upgrade to full options), improve driving characteristics, etc., etc. To be short: Let's make things better! :rofl:

Mate, what car do you even have and what do you want with it? :)

Or is it just a hypothetical question about what could potentially be done?
As with anything, the sky (or your wallet/imagination) is the limit.

I am the proud owner of a 1997 S70R (1998 in the US) All thoughts and questions are hypothetical. :) I am working on it right now. Coming up is a 3" BSR dual sportsexhaust, ceramic coated exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe, chiptuning to 300+ HP and some carbon fibre interior things. Take a look at my profile pic to see it. it thought the pic would be placed under each comment.

I am the proud owner of a 1997 S70R (1998 in the US) All thoughts and questions are hypothetical. :) I am working on it right now. Coming up is a 3" BSR dual sportsexhaust, ceramic coated exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe, chiptuning to 300+ HP and some carbon fibre interior things. Take a look at my profile pic to see it. it thought the pic would be placed under each comment.

Matti, this place is called "Turbobricks" after the cars that look like they were made of bricks

These kind of car
volvo-244-240-red-sedan-brick-sweatshirts-kids-hoodie.jpg

I think you will not be happy at the knowledge base here...

I know, I know. :oogle: I have been transported by a Volvo as long as I live. My dad used to drive an Amazon, 245 DL, 760 GLE, 240 GL, 440 Turbo, S40, S80 and I have been driving a Volvo since I got my drivinglicense 2x 340, 440, 480 GT, S40 and now S70R. even my truck is a Volvo. So don't tell me about Volvo's *grin* When the boys at school were talking about Ferrari's or BMW's I was talking about a 240 turbo or a 265 estate. The 850 was a designshock to me. A Volvo with something what looked like curved line WOW I couldn't believe my eyes. Ask a toddler to draw a car and it's a Volvo :rofl: I don't mind, I love them

I know, I know. :oogle: I have been transported by a Volvo as long as I live. My dad used to drive an Amazon, 245 DL, 760 GLE, 240 GL, 440 Turbo, S40, S80 and I have been driving a Volvo since I got my drivinglicense 2x 340, 440, 480 GT, S40 and now S70R. even my truck is a Volvo. So don't tell me about Volvo's *grin* When the boys at school were talking about Ferrari's or BMW's I was talking about a 240 turbo or a 265 estate. The 850 was a designshock to me. A Volvo with something what looked like curved line WOW I couldn't believe my eyes. Ask a toddler to draw a car and it's a Volvo :rofl: I don't mind, I love them

Well sell that thing whatever it is and get a nice 240 turbo...Need a good RUST FREE 242 turbo? I can send it to Antwepen, I think they still let you Nederl?nders in....at least for short visits...You could pick the car up, drink some good (Lambic) beer which is the best beer known to man, and return home to Holland in style..

Or fly here and pick the car up and drive to East Coast and ship from Newark, Nude Jersey for less..And I'm only 4-5 minuytes from the terminal at the airport.
Much easier to do that than have any fun with that thing you have..

Selling my S70R? No way. They are pretty rare and love to drive it. If I would have enough space (and money) my collection would be expanded with a C303 Laplander 4x4, 240 Turbo, 262, 440 Turbo, 480 GT, 780, S40T4, XC90 V8. Some of these need to be stored in a dry safe place especially the 480 GT they are as leaky as a sieve. Don't worry about me I'm fine. Thanks for your offer to visit the States. I've been there a few times by now and I love it. One day I'll be there again.

The Netherlands:

Buy a 940 of 1995 or younger. Plenty of them here.

M90 box, b230fk or ft.

Spend some money on it and you have a really nice car.

Back