• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Clutch for Mustang T5 Advice

Running something thats 228 or 240mm is definitely the way to go imo. Less need for stiffer springs and more aggresive clutch material.

Wouldn't there be fitment issues inside the bellhousing with a 240mm? Is there a specific type of clutch to go for if you're going that big?

The Saab 240 mm pressure plate pattern isn't that much larger than the 228 mm patterns (I think?) - the pressure plate itself is designed to take up less room between the bolts and the part of the plate that clamps. If you look at my pic up above you can see the bolts sit in little cutouts, not completely outside the center section like most.

Saab had the same issue we have - more HP than a smaller clutch could easily handle, but it still needed to fit inside a smaller bellhousing.

And how do I chose the right clutch / what do I tell the machine shop guy to do. "Hey drill this here flywheel for a 240mm clutch" are there bolt positions or stud positions i should be aware of.

Very much so. There are not universal patterns. The Saab pattern is a specific pattern - if the machinist doesn't know what it is you might have to get a pressure plate and take it with the flywheel. Or maybe there's some place they could look it up.

What kind of rear end are you thinking is going to hold 375ft/lbs of torque? Are you doing a Ford 8.8 swap as well? My South bend clutch was bolt in with Ben's throw out bearing adapters, those were a little fiddly but I've been beating on it pretty hard for a couple years now.

The stock rear axle in my car has been fine, even with a shade tree swapped G80 in it. It's handling it better than the T5.

Of course, I haven't really put a whole bunch of sticky tire under it - 225 Toyo T1R's.

So what's the part number for the 240mm pressure plate that I should get. I want to make sure I have the right one so I don't have to shave off the inside of the bellhousing. I read in a different post that it's Saab PN 8728289, Sachs PN SC70069 but could someone more experience second check this.

Thank you all.

Dunno, I just got mine from Spec. No Saab/Sachs part number.

Maybe this? SACHS K7012703

It's a bit confusing because Saab used 9" and 9.5(ish)" clutches at around the same time. The aplication I've been using is for a 1995 Saab 9000 Aero. Which was a higher powered 2.3L turbo 4. I don't think all the 9000's used the 240mm clutch.

I think the 240mm PP's have been discontinued unless you get them from "Saab" which makes it cost prohibitive. But it should be the setup for the Saab 9-3 Viggen ONLY from my (admittedly a few months back, so not the freshest in my head) research.

Well then another question is if there's a difference between the viggen and the aero or is it the same as the 850r is to the 850 T5 where it's basically the same thing.

I've been scavenging other articles and found that the 240mm came on the 94-98 9000 aeros, but if they're discontinued then that's an issue. I think pre 1994 they used the 228mm and switched up after that. I called up southbend and left a voicemail to hopefully hear back to see if they can supply the 240mm plate for the aero, hopefully so.

Unfortunately most of the posts about this are 5+ years old so most of the links are dead, so it's increasingly difficult to find solid answers.

Damn them all ! I've heard some hubba about the sachs 707 which is supposedly wicked good but runs you 500$ because I can't even find it sold anywhere

Awesome I'll keep this link at hand until I talk to southbend. Obviously the disc needs to be altered so It might be wise to get it through them to save costs, we shall see.

9 7/16" comes out to 239mm and change but the plate says 240 so it's probably 240mm.

I've read that the pp is rated to about 1700-1800 lbs clamping load. What might that equate to in ft-lbs. maybe a better question is whether I should get the pp modified or not to hold more power. I'm sure you can understand that I don't want to buy a clutch twice so I might as well spend the money now.

I see a couple listed on RockAuto for a 95 9000. There are a couple of 9" clutches, and a couple that are shown as 9 7/16:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...d,1266375,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993

Obv, you'd want the larger. Buying one of those kits gets you a pressure plate (I'm assuming) and a clutch disc that you can't use.

My go to Saab parts site (I also have a classic 900) is eeuroparts. They sell the 228 PP by themselves, and I've enlightened them that there's an entire community that uses them, but they still only stock a VERY small number and run out often. I think I waited 1 month the first time (which I believe Culberro has now?) and then 3 months the second time. In the interim, I bought their kit that came with the clutch I can't use. I ALSO found out that the discs from the Ford Tbird aren't all the same (even if you buy them with the correct dimension of 9" (because there are two of them as well)) so I have my tbird disc that fits great in my 228 saab plate, but not in my 228 kennedy plate (it was too wide by the slightest of margins).

In the end I ended up with enough clutch packs to make my own LSD lol.

Well then another question is if there's a difference between the viggen and the aero or is it the same as the 850r is to the 850 T5 where it's basically the same thing.

I've been scavenging other articles and found that the 240mm came on the 94-98 9000 aeros, but if they're discontinued then that's an issue. I think pre 1994 they used the 228mm and switched up after that. I called up southbend and left a voicemail to hopefully hear back to see if they can supply the 240mm plate for the aero, hopefully so.

Unfortunately most of the posts about this are 5+ years old so most of the links are dead, so it's increasingly difficult to find solid answers.

Yes... I made a number of public pleas in various threads when I was doing this.

There was definitely a specific 228 and a 240. The Aero used the 228 (I have it) and the Viggen (IIRC) was the 240, but it was so hard to find info on it, AND THE FLYWHEEL I ENDED UP WITH WAS 215/228 instead of 228/240 that I just moved on.

Back