• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Bolts 101

Lazarus

Seems like a dumb question, but what about using anti-seize in this particular situation?
4 High strength 8mm bolts hold the exhaust manifold heat shields and screw right into blind holes on the exhaust manifold. Nearly broke one getting them out, but I hesitate to use anti-seize on the threads because it will probably get really hot and burn, then the stuff will have nowhere to go and maybe crack the manifold. My imagination? Instead of anti-seize I ran a clean up tap into the blind holes and came up with lots of rust - which didn't surprise me. Bolts fit much easier going back in.

Lazarus

Any nickel or copper based antiseize will work for you. The moly stuff is good as well, but lower temperature. Personally, I use the nickel based stuff for any high temperature (exhaust mostly) stuff and copper based for pretty much everything else.

All the really clean and sanitary types on here will hate this, but after I lube the threads that go into a threaded hole, I'll also slobber just a bit on the exposed threads of a bolt or stud behind the nut as well. Just a small amount pressed into the threads will make a big difference in ease of removal, especially for folks in the rust and salt infested areas that we drive in.

All the really clean and sanitary types on here will hate this, but after I lube the threads that go into a threaded hole, I'll also slobber just a bit on the exposed threads of a bolt or stud behind the nut as well. Just a small amount pressed into the threads will make a big difference in ease of removal, especially for folks in the rust and salt infested areas that we drive in.
Well, thanks for that information. I specifically mentioned that these were blind holes and I didn't want to build up pressure inside the hole as the anti-seize burned off.

Glad to hear about Copaslip. How did I ever miss that one? I can tell you that my wonderful paint job with high heat paint flaked off in no time. What a mess!

Lazarus

...these were blind holes and I didn't want to build up pressure inside the hole as the anti-seize burned off.

Really wouldn't worry about that, any minor outgassing of volatile material will vent through the threads. Also agree with wiping a little extra anti-seize on the exposed threads. It'll be basically dry after the first time the engine runs, but it'll still help resist corrosion and make removal a lot easier next time.

Back