home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
PRVersion
regretting name change

Default How many coils on blue IPD 240 springs?

No, not how many should I cut off. I'm wondering how many they come with from ipd- I found a set in a junkyard and now I want to know if I want to even attempt to run them, or just sell them.. Looking at the picture on the ipd site makes it look like they come with ~6.5 coils. Can anybody confirm? These springs only have ~4.5 coils remaining
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
accelerate til the last possible moment, then accelerate more...
PRVersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
PRVersion
regretting name change

Really? nobody knows? Well, mods delete this plaus, I'll just call ipd since they're open today and ask them..
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

^ lol

Everyone knows they are garbage now that they are cut.

Recycle them, and report this stupid thread.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
PRVersion
regretting name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
^ lol

Everyone knows they are garbage now that they are cut.

Recycle them, and report this stupid thread.
Oh come now, Ken- clearly everybody doesn't know, all I knew was that people used to cut absurd amounts off the old ipd springs and still run them. sheesh.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRVersion View Post
Oh come now, Ken- clearly everybody doesn't know, all I knew was that people used to cut absurd amounts off the old ipd springs and still run them. sheesh.
Want a real hearty lauge?
Ask what anybodys spring rates for all the various OEM, and popular aftermarket springs are..

Try and nail it down with certainty.

Rotsa ruck Lound eye

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
True but you bought something in the junkyard that isn't perfect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Want a real hearty lauge?
Ask what anybodys spring rates for all the various OEM, and popular aftermarket springs are..

Try and nail it down with certainty.

Heaven forbid we should have a spring rate stickie and identify the starting points for these cars in actual numbers.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
smokeyfan1000

If you'll use google to search TB, with IPD springs as key words..........

you'll likely find my post showing brand new, uncut IPD blue sport springs beside stock 1991 240 Volvo uncut springs.

Good pics & you should be able to count the IPD spring's coils.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 View Post
If you'll use google to search TB, with IPD springs as key words..........

you'll likely find my post showing brand new, uncut IPD blue sport springs beside stock 1991 240 Volvo uncut springs.

Good pics & you should be able to count the IPD spring's coils.
Before wasting time: but no dimensional or rate data?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Conventional Tbricks wisdom is 700# to 1,000# sprangz so go with that but first make sure you stock up on Preparation H and you too can be one of the kool-kids.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Is not 740 welfare queen

Quote:
Conventional Tbricks wisdom is 700# to 1,000# sprangz so go with that but first make sure you stock up on Preparation H and you too can be one of the kool-kids.
goes nice with that blang swag dented oil pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
smokeyfan1000

Quote:
Before wasting time: but no dimensional or rate data?
Hey....he asked how many *coils* the IPD springs have..........not the lbs rating of them.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
PRVersion
regretting name change

Quote:
Hey....he asked how many *coils* the IPD springs have..........not the lbs rating of them.
Correct.. I feel like some of the replies here are posted after assuming I was asking because I wanted to know if there were enough coils cut off. I willingly payed bottom dollar after spending very little of my time on the off chance that what I ended up with might be a vaguely usable product. I tried using google to search for ipd springs and had the lame luck of not clicking on the link that showed a clear picture of unmolested ipd springs.

I'm sorry that I searched and did not find the information that I was looking for, and then made a thread in hopes of somebody having the answer to my question. I guess.

Quote:
True but you bought something in the junkyard that isn't perfect...
I honestly have no idea how far, if at all, your tongue is in your cheek right now.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #13
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:

For fawks sake how many dozen times per week in the last7-8 years have we seen somebody asking about springs?
Well depsite the fqact that nobody asking knows nothing, those answering generally have no clue either where the cars are starting from, they just go by other people claiming the final word of TB: I like my ride, you should....."

I cars like most of life everything is a comparison, this versus that versus these.

Sense says you have to start from what you know before suggestion go into the unknown.

You start with standard, then post popular aftermarket, in some common and confirmed rating system..

He's asking for numbers of coils prolly because he CANNOT FIND the rate so he's going to make some guess based on coil diam, wire diam, and number of coils---but he didn't say Free Coils' so he may be surprised.

It is one of the more embarassing blunders of this---and all other "fan boi" Volvo sites that there is NO STICKY listing this junk and also the standard Bilstein valving if the popular inserts and shocks used..

Rather than "I don care wha youse say, I LIKE MY CAR, whaaaaaaaaaa!"
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #14
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
For fawks sake how many dozen times per week in the last7-8 years have we seen somebody asking about springs?
Well depsite the fqact that nobody asking knows nothing, those answering generally have no clue either where the cars are starting from, they just go by other people claiming the final word of TB: I like my ride, you should....."

I cars like most of life everything is a comparison, this versus that versus these.

Sense says you have to start from what you know before suggestion go into the unknown.

You start with standard, then post popular aftermarket, in some common and confirmed rating system..

He's asking for numbers of coils prolly because he CANNOT FIND the rate so he's going to make some guess based on coil diam, wire diam, and number of coils---but he didn't say Free Coils' so he may be surprised.

It is one of the more embarassing blunders of this---and all other "fan boi" Volvo sites that there is NO STICKY listing this junk and also the standard Bilstein valving if the popular inserts and shocks used..

I tried to copy the R-sport stuff as best I could and I like my car too.

photo crybaby-3.png
Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:

I honestly have no idea how far, if at all, your tongue is in your cheek right now.
I'm completely serious, I don't buy anything in the junkyard unless it's perfect or at least very nice.

I call it the 'one strike rule', if something isn't real good it's not worth putting on my car or selling for a profit.

That said; I hope they work out for you and they don't become an albatross tied around your neck.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
smokeyfan1000

Quote:

John I agree with the fact that OP is likely searching for a "estimate spring rate" and judging it by how many coils they have.

Since no one on TB has a suspension spring dyno, and no one will ever test an IPD spring to see it's rating.....
I guess we'll all be like Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman......
Quote:
I'm in the dark here.....
Quite frankly I am surprised that you have not done this, and reported your specs/findings to us by now. Same thing needs to be done with re-valving Bilstein HDs that many of us use with IPD springs, and post the re-valving specs, where they work right with IPD springs

Any chance of that happening?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
PRVersion
regretting name change

Quote:
I'm completely serious, I don't buy anything in the junkyard unless it's perfect or at least very nice.

I call it the 'one strike rule', if something isn't real good it's not worth putting on my car or selling for a profit.

That said; I hope they work out for you and they don't become an albatross tied around your neck.
Probably a good rule of thumb, ans thanks. That said, if I don't like them, and nobody wants to give me the $20ish bucks I paid for them, I'll be happy to scrap them. everybody wins!

Quote:
Quite frankly I am surprised that you have not done this, and reported your specs/findings to us by now. Same thing needs to be done with re-valving Bilstein HDs that many of us use with IPD springs, and post the re-valving specs, where they work right with IPD springs

Any chance of that happening?
I have actually seen john posting Billy valving figures, if not in stock form, then for sure in the rally valving that he, and other brickers, have tried and liked.

Oh, and the dead coil(s) are MIA.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

Crush em
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
Ohh god no, I'd rather eat hot diarrhea than drive a 7/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history.
Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
digital.aaron
No longer R powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by centason View Post
Compress em
FTFY
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
c
Board Member

Wagon or Sedan springs? Front or Rear?

Here is what the wagon springs look like:
c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital.aaron View Post
FTFY
Thanks, was having a moment there.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:

Werd. The list of commonly found jy stuff that's actually worthwhile to pull for resale is getting pretty slim.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #23
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
Werd. The list of commonly found jy stuff that's actually worthwhile to pull for resale is getting pretty slim.
It's a narrow window indeed but if you want to play the game 20 or 30 years after the fact...

Take a look around on the streets, how many / what percentage of the RWD Volvos that you see are nice anymore?

5% - 10%?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #24
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:

I have actually seen john posting Billy valving figures, if not in stock form, then for sure in the rally valving that he, and other brickers, have tried and liked.

Oh, and the dead coil(s) are MIA.
Oh I've posted Volvo so called "HD" front and rear, and the limp-dick Saab 900 that the boys who want to pretend they're BTCC heroes and need to ruin their cars by lowering, Chevy S10 fronts that people stick on the rear for the same reason, gravel rally valving, tarmac rally valving, all of them so many times I'm sick of posting the figures especially when the information just ratchets down and disappears under the weight of crap info.
I've posted what the figures mean, comparison with other similar set-ups..
Pffft.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Quote:
No, not how many should I cut off. I'm wondering how many they come with from ipd- I found a set in a junkyard and now I want to know if I want to even attempt to run them, or just sell them.. Looking at the picture on the ipd site makes it look like they come with ~6.5 coils. Can anybody confirm? These springs only have ~4.5 coils remaining
Did anyone read the original post?

Looks pretty clear to me. Found IPD springs in JY, got home and them and noticed they were not quite right.

Q) have they been cut? If so I'm going to move them on and get something better.

At no point did the OP ask "how many coils should I cut off"

I know why folk get niffed about loads of spring/damper threads. Maybe someone should do an article.......

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote