home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Tyler_Krupa
Board Member

Question What should I do about my cone filter?

So I had a cone filter laying around which I threw on to my 940t when I moved the MAF between the TB and the IC (needed to for my syncronic BOV) I know this thing is probably sucking in nothing but hot air so how do you guys think I should go about it. Ive looked up making a aluminum shield for the filter but with out a tig or even a rivit gun im not sure how nice I could make it look. The second thing I was thinking of is putting the stock airbox in but im unsure of how I could hook that up since I no longer have the rubber tube that come off of it.

here's a pic of my engine bay now, what would you do?
TLAO Chips, Buchka Spark, browntops, 19t@18psi, ported 90+, Big eBay intercooler, Synapses BOV set to recirculate, GFB G-Force II, RSI STG1 cam (1st gen), Nuke cam gear, Ipd sways, Ipd lower chassis brace, UR Strut Brace, kaplhenke coilovers, kaplhenke adjustable strut mounts, koni sports, 302mm v70 front rotors

I will use all the liquid explosive dinosaurs
Tyler_Krupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

Cut a hole and move it down in the fresh air. Get a 90 and another length of pipe.
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
Ohh god no, I'd rather eat hot diarrhea than drive a 7/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history.
Any forums history.
centason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

In all seriousness, just try to route it to the coldest air possible.
Feedback

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

And I was having such a good night too
centason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
badvlvo
Bad for Babies

Extend it a little further towards the light, build a heat shield.

That MAF isn't going to like life on the dirty side of the turbo.
badvlvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
travisminchew
Board Member

put your maf back where it goes in between the air filter an turbo
travisminchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
dieselboy
Whooty patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post

In all seriousness, just try to route it to the coldest air possible.
Lol's has no one noticed the valve cover yet?
'08 f350 4x4 v10 cclb
'97 f-350 4x4 offroad toy
'94 4700 dt466 International toterhome build
dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Tyler_Krupa
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisminchew View Post
put your maf back where it goes in between the air filter an turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by badvlvo View Post
That MAF isn't going to like life on the dirty side of the turbo.
Ive been running it there all summer without a problem. I took it out a few days ago and it was just as clean as the day I put it in, plus I have a spare in my trunk. If its really that bad for it, which I have yet to read of a single person breaking their MAF this way, then when it breaks and I'm stranded in the middle of the highway ill just put the spare on and route it back to pre-turbo.

pretty much I know the stock box flows as well or better then a cone filter, I just wanted to know if its worth trying to make the stock box work with my set up. Ill take a trip to the hardware store and get a sheet of aluminum and see what I can make. I see people use a flexible plastic tube for their intake in some pics, is their something at the hardware store I should buy for this or should I buy one of those cheap flexible intake hoses off ebay?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
badvlvo
Bad for Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Krupa
Ive been running it there all summer without a problem. I took it out a few days ago and it was just as clean as the day I put it in, plus I have a spare in my trunk. If its really that bad for it, which I have yet to read of a single person breaking their MAF this way, then when it breaks and I'm stranded in the middle of the highway ill just put the spare on and route it back to pre-turbo.
Guess you are late to the party, everyone I know who killed a MAF that way has swapped it back or that car has long gone to the crusher. But since you didn't read it yet I guess we are giving bad advice.

While it's clean now it's not going to stay that way for long, turbos will blow oil into the system and oil in the MAF isn't good.
So you are going to carry a spare MAF, tools and plumbing to swap this back on the side of the road when it fails?
Why not just put it in the right place now and be done with it?
Aside from the premature failure you are going to alter the fuel and timing maps due to the change in location of the MAF and this could have detrimental side effects.
But what do I know.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Tyler_Krupa
Board Member

My plan, if it ever did fail, was to put the spare on and reroute when I get back home. I'm not trying to say your wrong or anyone else, I've owned a volvo for all of a year and of that time its only been turbo for the past 4 months. I don't know anything and that why I'm here. I searched using google and only found topics where half the people said it was fine and the other half saying its horrible so I went for it. The only difference I noticed after moving it was my idle got a little better, meaning I have a leak somewhere. My AFRs didnt change at all. I made the switch under the impression that the only oil coming out of a turbo would be oil that got into the intake from the PCV line, which I have going to a catch can venting to atmosphere.

Ill look into getting the anti-stall kit for the synapse BOV and I'll probably end up moving my maf back pre-turbo.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #11
smokeyfan1000

FWIW, I'd re- route the piping for the *air filter* (if possible) through the radiator support wall, so air filter would be in the "behind the grille area" & *in front* of IC/Radiator, so the air filter would be in & take advantage of the cooler air that is coming through the grille (than underhood temps)

Cooler air going into intercooler will be even cooler after coming out of the intercooler........is my thinking. Maybe not a lot, but certainly cooler than the underhood air it's sucking in now.

Last edited by smokeyfan1000; 09-02-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
slowboost744
Board Member

You can make a shroud for the filter without welding or riveting it. Make a template from cardboardthat snugly fits infront of the wheel well. Leave a few "tabs" to screw through. Then just trace it onto a piece of aluminum or something and bend it to fit. I looked through your build thread and you seem creative enough. Shouldn't be too difficult.
slowboost744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
kevbot
illuminati confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowboost744 View Post
You can make a shroud for the filter without welding or riveting it. Make a template from cardboardthat snugly fits infront of the wheel well. Leave a few "tabs" to screw through. Then just trace it onto a piece of aluminum or something and bend it to fit. I looked through your build thread and you seem creative enough. Shouldn't be too difficult.
This, it's really quite simple. Looking at your pic there's a ton of room by the filter for a shield, if I were you I'd extend your intake pipe a bit and then build a shield for the filter and secure it to the inner fender/radiator support. Here's the post I made from when I did this to my 960:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbot960 View Post
Then today I decided to do something to my intake. For a year or so I've been using a cone filter on the end of the MAF, so today I made a heat shield for it. First, I bought a cheap 45 degree intake bend to put the filter in a more accessible area instead of right under the radiator hose:

Then, I took a piece of cardboard and made a template and traced it on a scrap aluminum sign from my dad's screenprinting shop, and cut it out along with a hole for the 45 bend to fit through:

Then I gave it a quick coat of black paint (barely had enough left in the can so it's kinda streaky):

And finally, I put some of the rubber car door strip (the stuff that protects the edge of the door from smacking into things) along the top edge of the shield. I was going to use some sort of rubber hose, but this was on clearance at Advance Auto for 5 cents, so I figured I'd give it a try and it works perfect. Seals up against the hood great. I put some along the bottom edge of the hole as well so it wouldn't scratch the 45 bend too much, and then fit it in the engine bay:

It fit great, and I ziptied one edge of it to the inside of the quarterpanel so it wouldn't move around at all. Total cost was only $10 for the 45 degree bend, and $0.05 for the door stripping. The rest I already had.

I've since flipped it around, trimmed it a bit and replaced the stripping along the top with some foam, and it now resides in my 745 engine bay.

It works surprisingly well. I've been meaning to fab something up to get fresher air in there, but for the time being it isolates the filter from the ambient temperature in the engine bay well enough. After a spirited drive I can get out and touch the filter and it's not even the slightest bit warm.
1990 745ti - 295k - 16t @18psi, RSI stage II cam, IPD cam gear +6°, eBaycooler, Shane's fuel chip, Mike's spark chip, MSD coil, T5 blue injectors, accum modded AW71, G80 locker, squirter block, Ultra Racing strut brace, IPD sways, Billy HDs, a/c delete, cut springs.

Things to come: '95 squirter (rebuild in progress), Holset HY35, obx header, 4" dp..
kevbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
PRVersion
regretting name change

Go to junkyard, find a stock turbo air box with all the clips intact, install it in your car.

The stock filter is plenty big. Give it a way to suck air from outside the bay if you're that worried about it.

*shakes cane*
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
accelerate til the last possible moment, then accelerate more...
PRVersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Tyler_Krupa
Board Member

I have an airbox with all clips intact the problem is I no longer have the hose that does from maf to turbo. I would much rather use the stock box as it covers the rusted battery tray. does anyone know what combination of piping would work as a substitute to the rubber hose? I remember seeing an engine bay pic with the stock box but not the stock rubber hose but i cant seem to find it.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
badvlvo
Bad for Babies

Colder, denser air will make more power, but modern ECM's will compensate based on the IAT readings so it doesn't make as much of a difference.