home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 01-29-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
98T5
Board Member

Default Achieveing that "Low Look" with the right set up

I've seen quite a few setups to dropping bricks and I've come to the conclusion that to achieve that perfect low and keep at east 90% good ride quality, on a budget, one would only need to cut, if cutting, 2.5 coils off the front and 2 coils off the back. which will drop your car about 2.5-3 inches. which is great

NOW, some I've seen have gone the "official" route and forked over the coin for the kahlpenke setup, which drops your car around 2.5-3 inches, which is great too.

Or you bag it, high end stuff.

All 3 ways to drop are good ones.

BUT
, this thread is not about the suspension, but more about the wheels. and in my experience with dropping cars, you HAVE TO sync the right wheel size with your drop in order to get that "perfect low look" without sacrificing ride quality while creating the illusion of being super low. and if those 3 setups above are accurate and the norm, then I say, range from 15x7 to 16 x7 is going to be the best wheel size range to stuff under that drop spec and still have a nice ride, but also that "perfect low look" you're after.

Too many times I see 18's, 19's on these cars, with fender mods, etc...nothing wrong with that, to each his own. but I'm a big fan of form and function. and a decent mpg and smooth ride doesn't hurt either. .

Because at the end of the day, you not only want your car to look good, but you want it to ride good too.

98T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
745 TurboGreasel
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98T5 View Post
I've seen quite a few setups to dropping bricks and I've come to the conclusion that to achieve that perfect low and keep at east 90% good ride quality, on a budget, one would only need to cut, if cutting, 2.5 coils off the front and 2 coils off the back. which will drop your car about 2.5-3 inches. which is great

NOW, some I've seen have gone the "official" route and forked over the coin for the kahlpenke setup, which drops your car around 2.5-3 inches, which is great too.

BUT
, this thread is not about the suspension, but more about the wheels. and in my experience with dropping cars, you HAVE TO sync the right wheel size with your drop in order to get that "perfect low look" without sacrificing ride quality while creating the illusion of being super low. and if those 3 setups above are accurate and the norm, then I say, range from 15x7 to 16 x7 is going to be the best wheel size range to stuff under that drop spec and still have a nice ride, but also that "perfect low look" you're after.

Too many times I see 18's, 19's on these cars, with fender mods, etc...nothing wrong with that, to each his own. but I'm a big fan of form and function. and a decent mpg and smooth ride doesn't hurt either. .

Because at the end of the day, you not only want your car to look good, but you want it to ride good too.

Not sure what car you are talking about, but even most fullsize 4x4 rigs dont drive properly with a 3" change in ride height unless you add custom parts to correct the geometry. what % of your uptravel is that anyway?

inB4 CRU****!

Feedback

745 TurboGreasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
PDX240
Back from the DEAD

1937 Hupmobile (RIP T.M.)

Pdx240 feedback http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ghlight=Pdx240
-------------------------------------------------------
PDX240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Jack
Banned

wtf is your question
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
digital.aaron
No longer R powered

Looks nice. Now lower it!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
johngeiser
Board Member

+t
johngeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #7
Mueller
Board Member

Tire OD and width along with aspect ratio is a huge factor here and more important than whether or not you have 15's or 17's.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #8
ashvolvo
2 > 7

Moved to showroom.

1998 V70T5
2004 Holden Commodore wagon
ashvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #9
Corey
Board Member

you should probably just cut your springs

'81 242 turbo
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 AM   #10
thebornotaku
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The **** are you talking about?

Does it ride well on whatever wheels/tires are on it now? Great, keep that same combo or a similar size. And then cut some coils off and call it a day.

Is it too harsh? Smaller wheels, bigger tires. Done.

My car rode kinda rough on Hydras (16x6 or whatever) and so I downsized to 15s with bigger sidewalls. Overall Diameter stayed the same.

But seriously, cut some coils off.

edit\\

also wheels have **** all to do with "looking low", the only time they'll come as a detriment to that is if you run some really tiny tires on small wheels and still have fender gap. Like running 195/45-15s vs. 195/65-15s or whatever

also your car is going to ride like dick if you drop it 3in pretty much no matter what. you might be able to make up for it a little bit if you drop the big coin on all the kaplhenke kit but that's well over two grand worth of parts just for ride quality, and it still isn't going to "ride" as well as they do at stock height for the most part. so pretty much pick one: low, or rides well.

Last edited by thebornotaku; 01-29-2014 at 02:14 AM..
thebornotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:14 AM   #11
Is not 740 welfare queen

restore it to stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:16 AM   #12
thebornotaku
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
restore it to stock
^yep

stock with quality dampers is the ticket for ride quality

like I said in my edit:

low
rides well

pick one.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:58 AM   #13
BonerInSweatPants
REAL LIFE HATHOS

OP: If this thread doesn't conclude with 30"+ rims, you've wasted EVERYONE'S time

Choose your next post wisely

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
Abortion is an issue I'm really torn on. I mean, I'm all for killing babies, but I don't believe women should have a choice.
BonerInSweatPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #14
crazy240
Board Member

Now for some advise on what you are actually talking about.
I ran a set of multi-X ASA wheels on one of my 244's for a while. They were 15x7.5 and I used 205-50-15's on them. I cut the springs 2.5front 2 rear and I had a lot of problems scraping in up hill turns like in to a up hill driveway or street. It also bottomed out over speed bumps hitting the exhaust. It looked great but functioned like a sledge hammer. Ride quality cruising was ok. I now run a set of multi-X 780 wheels on my 245 with 205-55-15's I really like the ride quality, stance of tire VS car and it also handles a lot better than the stock 14's or even 15's with 195-65-15. Car has stock springs but I am waiting for my front struts to wear out before I dig in and cut. I will be cutting 2 front 1.5 rear to start with and go from there.
I have also run 17's on a 244 with billy HD and IPD springs can't remember tire size but it did ok riding with no scrape. 18's on the same set up looked and rode like crap. Car sat too far off the ground and was very bumpy.
IMO stay with a 15-16" rim. Don't go below 55 on tire profile and get 205 wide for 15x7's. 205 or 215 on 16's. if you go too wide they look balloony. 205's look too wide on a set of virgos IMO.
There is a set of Hydras on Austin craigslist under auto parts. They would look good on your 940.
crazy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:37 AM   #15
thebornotaku
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy240 View Post
Now for some advise on what you are actually talking about.
I ran a set of multi-X ASA wheels on one of my 244's for a while. They were 15x7.5 and I used 205-50-15's on them. I cut the springs 2.5front 2 rear and I had a lot of problems scraping in up hill turns like in to a up hill driveway or street. It also bottomed out over speed bumps hitting the exhaust. It looked great but functioned like a sledge hammer. Ride quality cruising was ok.
Odd, I'm running 15x7 MSWs with 195/65-15s (yes I am deliberately running a slightly narrower tire, the wheels are ET12 instead of ET20 and I didn't want to risk rubbing in the rear, which i probably would on 215s) and iPd sport springs with two coils off all around. No rubby, no scrapey. A leeeeetle bumpy (only have like two inches compression travel in the front) over driveways or railroad crossings but not bad. Downpipe does scrape on speedbumps though, but 240s also have stupidly low hanging downpipes.

Maybe your shocks were crap? I have Decarbons in the front and Billy HDs in the rear, none of them are leaking or anything and my car drives pretty reasonable. I mean it's obvious it's lowered but it doesn't ride like absolute **** or anything.

Or maybe it's just because I know the horrors of rocking out on the bumpstops
Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 AM   #16
Ansel+
Bolbo Spotted

Hey OP I have 2 questions for you

ARE THE RIMS BIG?

DO IT RIDE GOOD?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #17
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98T5 View Post

BUT

Not many good tire choices in 14", 15" and 16" anymore. You have to run 17's or 18's to clear big brakes. If the 17's or 18's raise your car off of the ground more, lower it more. I get better mpg with my 18's than with 15's also. I'll give up the vague/numb/unresponsive 15's for my 18's any day.

I grew up watching:

Big wheels, big brakes, and tucking wheel. The only way to do it.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #18
245Mike
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebornotaku View Post
Odd, I'm running 15x7 MSWs with 195/65-15s (yes I am deliberately running a slightly narrower tire, the wheels are ET12 instead of ET20 and I didn't want to risk rubbing in the rear, which i probably would on 215s) and iPd sport springs with two coils off all around. No rubby, no scrapey. A leeeeetle bumpy (only have like two inches compression travel in the front) over driveways or railroad crossings but not bad. Downpipe does scrape on speedbumps though, but 240s also have stupidly low hanging downpipes.

Maybe your shocks were crap? I have Decarbons in the front and Billy HDs in the rear, none of them are leaking or anything and my car drives pretty reasonable. I mean it's obvious it's lowered but it doesn't ride like absolute **** or anything.

Or maybe it's just because I know the horrors of rocking out on the bumpstops
Why are you still running those!?!?!?
1989 244. "Ron Burgundy"
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...23#post4739323
245Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #19
98T5
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
Not sure what car you are talking about, but even most fullsize 4x4 rigs dont drive properly with a 3" change in ride height unless you add custom parts to correct the geometry. what % of your uptravel is that anyway?

inB4 CRU****!
my bad. I was speaking specifically on Volvo bricks like 2/7/9 .
Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #20
98T5
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
wtf is your question
Not really a question. just an obesrvation since I joined the world of Volvos. If I'm wrong in my observations by all means tell me. so when I drop mine I wanna make sure I'm in the right ballpark, because I don't plan on messing with it after I do it. kinda like the old sayin' "measure twice, cut once"..this is the logic I'm going with when I go in on this job.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
SquareD
An Anomaly

I'm happy with how my wagon looks and rides. OEM turbo gas shocks/struts, (progressive rate) TME lowering springs, lower chassis brace, subframe braces, ipd sways, 16" Perfos and soon to have 205/55 Conti DW's. Handles good, rides nicely. Should be even better after I get the new tires on.

Tires make a big difference in ride quality, not only the sidewall size, but how the tires are constructed. My old 740 road better with 225/45/17 Conti DW's than it did with 205/55/15 Potenza RE750's. In addition to the tires being a smoother riding tire, I have a feeling that the Billy HD's weren't quite valved right for how light the 15" wheel setup was. The ARE meshies I had on it for a long time were actually really light.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #22
98T5
Board Member

So after reading most of the replies, you guys agree...*based on coin*...either one of those 3 setups I posted will work. THAT's really the answer I'm looking for. because whether it's big wheels, tiny tires or small wheels big tires, the way to get that "low look" without taking away from the ride quality, you have to consider your wheel choices. think the wheel choice will have a lot to do with the life of your struts.

example, my V70 is dropped on H&R's all around, no extra mods. and I kept the 16x7's on it because I got that "low look" without losing ride quality. sure I can throw some 17's-19's on it with rubber band tires, and feel every bump in the road, and lose turning radius, but that's not me. and that's not the point I'm making. but to each his own.

I want my low cars to be 60:40 = low:ride.. that's my goal. as close to 50:50 as possible.

I can't do 70:30 or even 80:20. I got a mountain bike for that...lol

Last edited by 98T5; 01-29-2014 at 10:20 AM..
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #23
Old Iron
I Roll

In before RWC........ crush it!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #24
SquareD
An Anomaly

IMO, 17's are a very reasonable wheel size, 18's are pushing the envelope, anything bigger is donk status.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #25
98T5
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
I'm happy with how my wagon looks and rides. OEM turbo gas shocks/struts, (progressive rate) TME lowering springs, lower chassis brace, subframe braces, ipd sways, 16" Perfos and soon to have 205/55 Conti DW's. Handles good, rides nicely. Should be even better after I get the new tires on.

Tires make a big difference in ride quality, not only the sidewall size, but how the tires are constructed. My old 740 road better with 225/45/17 Conti DW's than it did with 205/55/15 Potenza RE750's. In addition to the tires being a smoother riding tire, I have a feeling that the Billy HD's weren't quite valved right for how light the 15" wheel setup was. The ARE meshies I had on it for a long time were actually really light.

Right on. and I notice you stayed in the 16inch range. that's important to your overall ride on these cars. just my opine.