• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need Help - Fried starter?

kammer

BLK
Replaced my starter because it tested bad. New starter in and it still won't start. Use jumper cables to jump start. Now the dumb part, I crossed the cable. Black to +, and red to -. :oops: So, what did I fry, it won't start. No cranking, No clicking, no nothing. Too late and too little sleep(because I know better) :oops: . Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

check all your fuses and relays.

but let me get something straight. with your new starter it still wouldnt crank or still wouldnt start? because when jumping a car you still have to have a functioning starter to start your car, and you say you successfully jumped it?

All fuses are ok. I installed used good starter. Car didn't turn over. Figured battery was low. Used Jumper cables, however hooked up backwards(red to neg & black to pos). I think I damaged something as a result. What damage would I have done? Thanks

Another note. i noticed that there is a red wire going from the pos cable to a fuse on the dr side fender. That has broken off of the pos cable at the clamp. Thanks.

brick245 said:
Another note. i noticed that there is a red wire going from the pos cable to a fuse on the dr side fender. That has broken off of the pos cable at the clamp. Thanks.
That supplies power to the fuel pump relay, car won't run without it, but should have no effect on the starter.

Typically the alternator is fried when reversing the jumper cables, though momentarily doing so might not, I'm not really familiar with what else gets fried in such a situation. This wouldn't normally stop the starter from operating though.

I suggest some basic testing:
Manual Trans:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=800156&postcount=7
Automatic:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=700918&postcount=3
For reference, starter test terminal as found on my '92 245:
http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/92Volvo245-STTc.jpg

Thanks for the info. i didn't know what that wire was for and I wasn't sure what I might have fried. I'll test as you suggest. Thanks.

I charged my battery over night and reinstall today. Cleaned terminals. Still no start. All accersories are working. Head lights, int lights, stereo, and pwr dr locks. I turn key and nothing. It doesn't even crank over. I am going to test as tft sugests to eliminate possiblities. Just an update. Is there a way to test for the ignition switch? Thanks.

check the 25amp fuse on the inner fender, drivers side, near the battery. there is a blade style 25amp fuse that should be checked.

check all fuses in car, drivers side kick panel.

i know somebody that did the same crazy a$$ thing you did and fried their ecu.

if you have spare fuel pump relay try that.

the ingnition switch has a bundle of wires on it, without a Bentlys your doomed.

check the wires running from the alternator, they go under the car, to the battery.

do you have any type of car alarm?

Fixed

Thanks for the info. The replacemnt from the p-n-p was no good. Got another from the p-n-p, and it works. Car is up and running again. Next if funds allow, I need to buy new.:rofl: Thanks for all the help!

Back