• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pull Style Master Cylinder (Clutch)

EivlEvo

Squad.

I was curious as to whether anyone has used a pull style master cylinder to convert their hot action to hydraulic.

I know of the option of cutting/welding the clutch pedal from a cable pull to a hydraulic push. I also know that STS is working to make the pedals or something.

It seems this option would be more expensive overall (maybe...) but it seemed like a simple path to go hydro no?

To that end... wouldn't it be super straight forward to employ one of these pull type masters with one of the pull type slaves and not have to do a GD thing to the bloody innards?

Just pay your money, bend your lines and crash your car sideways into a lake.

Just pay your money, bend your lines and drift like a boss sideways into a lake.

Fixed.

Subbed, as I am not familiar with a pull type Hydro MC. But I am willing to learn.

you could probably do that. I'm using a pull type slave on the blue 242, when it doesn't stick it acts pretty good.

I converted the pedal for use with a push type master though (minor welding involved) and dropped a wilwood 3/4 master on it.

you could probably do that. I'm using a pull type slave on the blue 242, when it doesn't stick it acts pretty good.

I converted the pedal for use with a push type master though (minor welding involved) and dropped a wilwood 3/4 master on it.

It's not that I mind the welding... it just seems so excessive to jig it all up in a damn DD.

Which pull type are you using? Why do you imagine it sticks?

speedway (it's a straight rip of the wilwood pull). I'm not sure. I'm going to give it the ol helper spring and see if that helps.

the mockup and welding for the pedal to move from pull to push took me about an hour.

I was looking at one of those adapters that has sort of a ball and socket that ensures that you get the travel of the pedal to directly relate to the pull on the cylinder.

I'm just trying to avoid yanking the pedals again but I mean... it may prove inevitable anyhow...

I'm kind of wondering what the physics behind the pulls only seeming to be in the slave positions. Is there something that makes one of these specifically a master or a slave or does it simply have to do with input/output? Like... the master has mechanical input and hydro out whereas the slaves have hydro input and mechanical output? But I mean... that still doesn't seem to address that all of the masters seem to be push type?

In order to have a pull master, the pulling shaft would require some sort of seal or there would need to be a mechanical "z bar" or bell crank to change the direction of your pull? The slave is only receiving an input from the master. It is just a matter of where the pressure is placed in the slave to pull or push (which side of the piston). To be honest, I have never seen a pull style master in the wild. And to engineer a setup from a cart or other would make me a bit leery, and you would be on your own little island in troubleshooting issues. My two tarnished pennies worth.

In order to have a pull master, the pulling shaft would require some sort of seal or there would need to be a mechanical "z bar" or bell crank to change the direction of your pull? The slave is only receiving an input from the master. It is just a matter of where the pressure is placed in the slave to pull or push (which side of the piston). To be honest, I have never seen a pull style master in the wild. And to engineer a setup from a cart or other would make me a bit leery, and you would be on your own little island in troubleshooting issues. My two tarnished pennies worth.

I get all this... but NOW... there ARE pull masters that exist. AP and Wilwood are both making them.

I get all this... but NOW... there ARE pull masters that exist. AP and Wilwood are both making them.
I don't doubt they exist. But from the post quote below, cost and simplicity are factors- cost may be the same, but the simplicity surely isn't. Known available method vs. coming up with a new design doesn't take my lazy ass very long to answer that question. I like being different/savvy as long as it is easy too.
Squad.

I was curious as to whether anyone has used a pull style master cylinder to convert their hot action to hydraulic.

I know of the option of cutting/welding the clutch pedal from a cable pull to a hydraulic push. I also know that STS is working to make the pedals or something.

It seems this option would be more expensive overall (maybe...) but it seemed like a simple path to go hydro no?

Last edited:
a push type master is easier to set up. Don't over think it.

it's easier to pull the pedal and make the changes than it is to modify the firewall to be able to attach a master cylinder way up there.

a push type master is easier to set up. Don't over think it.

it's easier to pull the pedal and make the changes than it is to modify the firewall to be able to attach a master cylinder way up there.

Yeah... the more I'm thinking about it I agree with this statement. Ultimately I think it'd be much easier to NOT have to pull the pedal, but actually FITTING the master might be a pain...

Back