• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C 05 Volvo s60 T5

thevolvokid

142 whore
Hello I just picked up a new car tofay.

I'm getting a CEL light though,

The Volvo dealer gave me this list of codes,

Apparently a local Volvo shop recently did a fuel pump, filter and the sensor on the end of the fuel rail it appears. I don't know if they did anything else.

Any ideas on what to check out and look for? I'm trying to order a DICE unit currently so I check the car better.

Thanks this is my newest car to ever own it's a foreign land to me this new FWD cars.

Talked to a tech from the indie shop that did some of the work on the car.

He told me they changed the fuel pump, fuel filter and 2 fuel rail pressure sensors. He believes there is just gunk in the tank.

I'm going to run BG 44k through it, replace in line filter, repeat that process and see if it fixes it. If not then go ahead drop the fuel tank and then clean the fuel tank out.

Does anyone know if the fuel tank from a 2004 s60 would work in my 05? I have an 04 at my LKQ I could pull the tank from and prep for re-install if needed (if it's the same).

Thanks!

There is a fuel pump control module somewhere under the trunk. They have problems with water getting in them and on some cars they where moved inside the trunk where the spare tire is. I am not sure when the started putting them in the trunk. I know that if water got in them they would replace them and relocate them to the trunk.

I believe the pump module is on the right side of the car. Volvo has a wiring harness and procedure for moving it to the trunk.If you go to volvowiringdiagrams.com you can get the wiring diagram which will show the location. Also volvo TNN's will help, research them.

Okay so update

So I took the filter off and had a ton of pressure the filter was clogged but not so bad where it didn't spew pressure when I took the line after the filter off.

I starting having rough idle and it died while driving. If it dies and I give it a moment to sit I restsrt and it drives alright.

I replaced the fuel filter to try that option and it ran better then started idling rough then would lose power while driving then die.

Did this a bit then after the last die while driving it restarted and was fine pulled better under load and miss a bit getting really into it. Less than it has been doing. My CEL is on and the same codes come back a P0087 and p0089.

What PSI should I have at the fuel rail?

I'll check the PEM connection also.

Try rebooting the car, it is one big computer. Un-hook the negative battery cable and connect it to the positive cable which is still connected to the battery, now try to start the car nothing will happen leave the cables connected together for at least 20 minutes. You are trying to drain all the power from the capacitors in the car. When you re-connect the battery it is like booting up you personal computer. I recommend this procedure for any and all problems on your S60, you will be suprised at how many problems it will fix.

Try rebooting the car, it is one big computer. Un-hook the negative battery cable and connect it to the positive cable which is still connected to the battery, now try to start the car nothing will happen leave the cables connected together for at least 20 minutes. You are trying to drain all the power from the capacitors in the car. When you re-connect the battery it is like booting up you personal computer. I recommend this procedure for any and all problems on your S60, you will be suprised at how many problems it will fix.

To be clear on this since I've never done it
Unhook negative cable put cable on the positive side
Turn key on
Leave 20 minutes
Reconnect negative cable
Check if problem persists

Correct?

To be clear on this since I've never done it
Unhook negative cable put cable on the positive side (Make sure there is a good connection between positive and negative cable)
Turn key on (Try to start car, turn key all the way. Then make sure it is off before connecting battery)
Leave 20 minutes (Minimum)
Reconnect negative cable
Check if problem persists

Correct?

Fixed that for you.

After doing the battery trick I drove it and it was great. Pulled fine with half throttle. Then at high way speed I tried to go over half throttle and fell on its face. Then it started surging at lower speeds those being after stopping off the highway and trying to accelerate away to 40 mph.

Died while driving again. Right before started flashing the CEL. Parked for a minute and then restarted it and it drove fine for a few miles. Then CEL came back on and started surging again. The only code was a P0087.

I've gotten that code both times I've read it. It stopped throwing the other P0089 code this time

Tomorrow I will check my fuel pressure at idle and let you know what I find. A lot of the modules have to be programed for the car. The xmodex link says they need vin to program for your car, so the used unit would have to be programed. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?166473-OBDII-to-Volvo-Code-Conversion-List http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?69045-S60R-V70R-Modification-amp-Repair-Index You may want to ask these questions on swedespeed.com. I am not a volvo tech, I am a S60 owner and I am doing my best to help. If I can think of anything else helpful I will post it. Before buying a new PEM I would try to open the one I have and look for moisture in it. If it has moisture in it you may be able to dry it out, test and if good reseal it. I do not know if this would work but I would try it before spending $$$ on a replacement.

Tomorrow I will check my fuel pressure at idle and let you know what I find. A lot of the modules have to be programed for the car. The xmodex link says they need vin to program for your car, so the used unit would have to be programed. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?166473-OBDII-to-Volvo-Code-Conversion-List http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?69045-S60R-V70R-Modification-amp-Repair-Index You may want to ask these questions on swedespeed.com. I am not a volvo tech, I am a S60 owner and I am doing my best to help. If I can think of anything else helpful I will post it. Before buying a new PEM I would try to open the one I have and look for moisture in it. If it has moisture in it you may be able to dry it out, test and if good reseal it. I do not know if this would work but I would try it before spending $$$ on a replacement.

You've been a big help thus far so please sir keep it up!

One of the techs that worked on the car last said I can swap a PEM over with out having to program it. I just redid the battery trick again while it's doing that I unplugged the PEM and looked at the connector it was slightly dirty in there so I blew it out and re plugged it. Maybe thatll help.

How are the PEMs attached to the side of the tanks?

The tank is plastic, with a metal shield I think. Probably just bolted to the sheild. Who told you it was mounted to the tank? I don't think it is but I have not looked.

The tank is plastic, with a metal shield I think. Probably just bolted to the sheild. Who told you it was mounted to the tank? I don't think it is but I have not looked.

That's correct. No one told me that I just had my head up there kinda while it was on the ground so I couldn't see what was going on with it.

Back